Home General Discussion

Hunting Trip Play by Play

2»

Comments

• Nick2021Nick2021 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 938
    lilwing88:
    Well, I filled my antlerless tag this morning. Pics to come...... Got a baby buck at sunrise. Gonna rest up and go back out for sunset. This is my last chance to get a buck. I dont know if I can reisit the Opus X much longer!!! LOL!
    The buck will show up while you're smoking the OpusX LOL
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,484
    Alex Svenson:
    I think it depends on the species. Do you guys have white tail out in OR? Ithnk mule deer are scored differently.

Its a east/west thing. All the mountain region states that I know of go by counting one side of a rack, this excludes a non typical rack. The "scoring" of a rack is universal, that way it can make Boone and Crockett or any of the other recored books. I know we count any point on one side, including brow points. A 6 point bull elk has, you guessed it, 12 antler tips on his rack. If a rack has more than two "kicker" points, a point less then 2 inches long in a non typical fashion, or has a deformation, then its scored a non typical rack. My .02, someone correct me if im wrong.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    Alex Svenson:
    Believe me Luko, 415 yards was pure luck and I could not do it again if I tried. Wind, lighting, everything was in my favor. I love hunting PA whitetail. You guys have tons. Ey say opening day in PA for rifle season is the largest arm malitia in the country. I picked up a crossbow is year for deer season in PA since now you can do that and it is classified as archery and took a small buck. It was delicious. I am siked for rifle season, going to sit in the stand the last week of weapon when I am up for our company Christmas party. The guy who's land I use is in zone 5c where doe are all over e place and great if you are looking for a meat deer. I think they still have something like 30,000 doe tags left. You could fall out of your tree stand and land on top of one.
    Yeah, I know a couple of guys who are tried crossbow...seems interesting, but I haven't gottein into bow hunting yet. Hard enough with a rifle for me.

415 is a nice shot, luck or not. All I know is, I can shoot a good grouping at 100 and maybe 200 yards, haven't really shot at a target further than 200. I know in Texas and other locales out west, your shot might be 400-800 yards out. I just can't imagine I'd hit anything futher than that.

As for your deer...I don't know how those left coasters do things, but that's a nice 10-pointer.
  • Ironmick63Ironmick63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 100
    lilwing88:
    Well, I filled my antlerless tag this morning. Pics to come...... Got a baby buck at sunrise. Gonna rest up and go back out for sunset. This is my last chance to get a buck. I dont know if I can reisit the Opus X much longer!!! LOL!
    Marty, I didn't get anything this weekend but my dad got a 5 pointer. I'm going back in 2 weeks for another shot though. Good thing about the weekend is that I got my 11 pointer back from last year I got it hanging on the wall right now.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    Ironmick63:
    lilwing88:
    Marty, I didn't get anything this weekend but my dad got a 5 pointer. I'm going back in 2 weeks for another shot though. Good thing about the weekend is that I got my 11 pointer back from last year I got it hanging on the wall right now.
    Saw the pick. Very nice....... Well, I never got that big buck. Next year, right? Oh well, I had a great weekend hangin out with the guys and smokin a few stogies. Sat night I got in a Tatuaje Red Tubo and an AF Don Carlos. It was a pretty late night so I never made it out for the Sun morning hunt. The Opus X will go back in the humi for another occasion.......

I'll post some pics later today.
    Here's some pics from the weekend:

This is the crew from deer camp working on some kill.

Here's my kill. Just a baby buck, but good eats.

Some good friends with their trophy 8 pointer.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    lilwing88:

Damm Marty.. I have a dog bigger than that Buck !
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,484
    kaspera79:
    lilwing88:

But they look so BIG in the scope!
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 938
    firetruckguy:
    kaspera79:
    lilwing88:

But they look so BIG in the scope!
    Very true! :)