Home General Discussion

Hunting Trip Play by Play

lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
I'm totally stealing this idea from Alex! LOL!

Leaving in a few for Southern IL. Shotgun......check. Tags...... check. License....... check. Cigars........ CHECK!!!!

I'll be checking back here periodically with updates on anything I've shot, smoked or drank. Maybe some pics too.

Wish me luck!

Comments

• sirfoster83sirfoster83 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 783
    Good Luck Brother. I smell a State Record in your future
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 938
    GL, going to get my chance this weekend hopefully
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    lilwing88:
    I'm totally stealing this idea from Alex! LOL!

Leaving in a few for Southern IL. Shotgun......check. Tags...... check. License....... check. Cigars........ CHECK!!!!

I'll be checking back here periodically with updates on anything I've shot, smoked or drank. Maybe some pics too.

Wish me luck!
    What are you hunting lilwing? Good luck, bro'.
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    Good luck. I shot a 10 pointer on sunday. What did you bring for your victory smoke?
  • robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
    Good Luck Brother!

I hit a deer with my car once, does that count? It probably would have been cheaper to buy a gun, get lessons, get a license, plan a long hunting trip, take a week off of work and shoot one, but oh well... i'm just a spoiled city boy
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    Alex Svenson:
    Good luck. I shot a 10 pointer on sunday. What did you bring for your victory smoke?
    as in 5x5 correct? wow, that's impressive. was that elk or deer?
    Alex Svenson:
    10 pointer those are babies where we go in northern WI.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    Get some pics posted!!!
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    Martin how is the hunt coming?
    Dont want to hijack this but here is the pic of that 10 pointer I took in texas sunday night. He scored about 130. I had my sights on a huge 8pointer measuring about 153 but could not make the shot. At least I did not come home empty handed. Ended up taking a 415 yard hail mary shot at this bad boy 5 minutes before dark. To celebrate such a lucky shot I lit up an Ave Maria right after. Yes, to answer everyones question, that is indeed a CI hat I am wearing. I am too cheap to buy my own stuff so I took it out of the warehouse last time I was in PA.

Photobucket
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    Well, after a 5 hour drive, I've arrived in beatiful Radom, IL. Went out to the spot and checked on my ground blind for the morning. All set. Sighted in my shotgun. Perfect. Smoked a CAO La Traviata. Nice. Gonna get ready to go to deer camp and hang out with the crew and have some Cap't n Cokes or maybe some Crown n waters. If I'm a good boy, I'll be in bed by 10:30!!!

That's a beautiful buck, Alex. I hope I'm as lucky as you. If I get one, I brought an Opus X to celebrate. Plan on smoking some others in the mean time. I'll post back later with what I get to....
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    Awesome looking Buck Alex. Was thinking about how that worked out with the warehouse. If Ccom was sold out of a particular brand would CI throw you a box or 6? Or if you went in and just took their hats and stuff! lol

Marty good choice on drinks tonight, two of my favorites. Just don't drink too much or that blind will be miserable tomorrow morning. If that is the Opus I sent you I don't think it has quite a year on it so hope it works out will for you when you score your Buck. Good luck.
    Went with Crown Black n water. Had a RP 90 earlier. Now I'm enjoying a Utopia Blue Maduro while admiring a nice 9 pointer that a friend bagged earlier today with a crossbow. Pics to come.....
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    lilwing88:
    Went with Crown Black n water. Had a RP 90 earlier. Now I'm enjoying a Utopia Blue Maduro while admiring a nice 9 pointer that a friend bagged earlier today with a crossbow. Pics to come.....
    I want to go hunting methinks... :(. Never been, and nobody to go with (nor any gear). Kinda makes it hard...
    Hays:
    lilwing88:
    I want to go hunting methinks... :(. Never been, and nobody to go with (nor any gear). Kinda makes it hard...
    Well if you ever get suited up and want to come to IL, you have an open invite to come with me! People come from all over for IL whitetail.
    lilwing88:
    Hays:
    lilwing88:
    Well if you ever get suited up and want to come to IL, you have an open invite to come with me! People come from all over for IL TAIL.
    Fixed it!
    Hays:
    lilwing88:
    I believe there are places you can go that will supply everything you need and take you out where you are likely to get a shot or two. I think Alex said thats what they did in Canada. Not sure. Of course it's probably cheaper to buy the stuff and all that than pay for the allincluded deal. Never really looked into it.
    lilwing88:
    Hays:
    lilwing88:
    Well if you ever get suited up and want to come to IL, you have an open invite to come with me! People come from all over for IL whitetail.
    Funny enough I live in IL and I have yet to hunt white tail here but we are indeed well known for it. I will need to get off my ass and do it, I just need to find some land to use. Martin, I might take you up on your offer next year. Is IL shotgun only or can you use rifle?
    Alex Svenson:
    lilwing88:
    Hays:
    lilwing88:
    Funny enough I live in IL and I have yet to hunt white tail here but we are indeed well known for it. I will need to get off my ass and do it, I just need to find some land to use. Martin, I might take you up on your offer next year. Is IL shotgun only or can you use rifle?
    IL is indeed shotgun, not rifle. You can also use muzzle loader, 44 mag or bow. If you do come, I'm sure we could scrounge up a loaner for ya!
    Here's a pic of the 9 pointer my friend Kevin got yesterday with his crossbow.

That's me standing next to it for scale. I'm sippin a Crown Black n water and smokin a Utopia Blue Maduro. Keep in mind, I'm 6 feet 225 lbs and I look like a little kid next to this monster!
    Well, no luck today. Didnt see a damn thing all day! My father-in-law took a shot at a doe but we couldn't track it before dark. Oh well, we'll find it tomorrow. Had some awesome smoked ribs and pork shoulder for dinner at deer camp and managed to sneak in a Tat 7th Reserva and a CAO La Traviata. I have an Opus X, an Ashton ESG and Padron 64 waiting in the wings in case I snag that trophy buck tomorrow! If I get a 12 pointer or bigger, I'm smoking all three back to back!
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    PAs rifle deer season opens a week from Monday and I can't wait. I have a regular tag and a bonus tag so I can take a buck and a doe and can take either at any time during the season. We hunt on some property we lease from a family who owns and works oil wells.

Bucks in PA aren't huge because they're woods deer and not corn-fed, but the deer here are plentiful and it's a lot of fun.

I hunt with a .270 and could never hit a shot at 415 like Alex. He musta been a Marine sniper or something!

Last year, all I got was a button buck, which I actually thought was a doe until I got it (would never knowing shot a button buck, obviously).

Hays and anyone else who ever wants to hunt PA whitetail has an open invitation. All you need to do is get yourself to Oil City, PA. And all you need is some warm clothes, boots, orange and a license. We have plenty of extra guns.

When we're done for the day, our crew heads back to our friend's garage with whatever deer we got, hangs them up, skins em, quarters em and packages them for processing. There is always plenty of beer and a couple of cigars involved.
    Believe me Luko, 415 yards was pure luck and I could not do it again if I tried. Wind, lighting, everything was in my favor. I love hunting PA whitetail. You guys have tons. Ey say opening day in PA for rifle season is the largest arm malitia in the country. I picked up a crossbow is year for deer season in PA since now you can do that and it is classified as archery and took a small buck. It was delicious. I am siked for rifle season, going to sit in the stand the last week of weapon when I am up for our company Christmas party. The guy who's land I use is in zone 5c where doe are all over e place and great if you are looking for a meat deer. I think they still have something like 30,000 doe tags left. You could fall out of your tree stand and land on top of one.
    Martin, if there is one ting I have a ton of it is guns so no loan necessary lol. Hang in there on that buck. The more patient you ar e the bigger the trophy in the end, that as been my experience anyway.
    it's weird how you guys count horns on a buck. Alex's buck would be a 4pt. with eyeguards out here in Oregon. it must be different east of the Mississippi.
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 676
    yeah dennis, it's weird. I grew up in california, and whenever we hunted we called it a 4 point with eyeguards. Apparently everywhere else they count them all, must be a "if your state touches the pacific thing"....lol
    I think it depends on the species. Do you guys have white tail out in OR? Ithnk mule deer are scored differently.
    Well, I filled my antlerless tag this morning. Pics to come...... Got a baby buck at sunrise. Gonna rest up and go back out for sunset. This is my last chance to get a buck. I dont know if I can reisit the Opus X much longer!!! LOL!
    Congrats Marty on taking one in....hope you get that big buck and what the hell are you waiting for? Smoke that Opus X and drink it up as you never know what you will have tomorrow. Enjoy today!
    Alex Svenson:
    I think it depends on the species. Do you guys have white tail out in OR? Ithnk mule deer are scored differently.
    Mule deer east of the cascades and black tail west of the cascades. there is a hybrid between the two as well but not in many regions.