Home General Discussion

A Man's Home is his Castle, right?

KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
I was thinking about this after reading the "smoking in the cold" thread. When did we (as men) lose the ability to smoke a cigar in our own home?? If I'm not mistaken, most of us smoke outside...some by choice of course, others get banished, like me. I just started wondering "Why the Hell am I out here freezing my ass off, when I could be in my living room, w/ my 40in LCD, sitting by a nice fire enjoying a smoke?" So it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out my wife would kick my ass if I lit up a cigar in the house...but why? What's the root cause? IMO, it's the anti-tobacco fanatics out there. Who group cigars into the same category as cigarettes. What's your opinion?

Comments

• sol1821sol1821 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 706
    I think the crux of the matter is, we'd rather they puffed on our cigar, than we smok our own cigars in comfort. If ya know what im saying ;):p
  • ellinasellinas Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 329

agreed. what i tell people when they start complaing is stfu and quit your whining./bitching.  What needs to be invented is some type of machine that like almost instantly eliminates the smell of cigars, that way people can smoke inside without people getting onto them.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i like the smell of fresh cigars. i like the smell of cigars while burning. I do not like the smell of cigars smoked last week. when it changes to that old stale smell i just dont get along with it. this is why i choose not to smoke in my castle. the attic sees a bit of smoke but there is a fan in the window and i am right next to it... it doesnt linger.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    I smoke outside for a number of reasons, primary being my children...the wife definately would not be happy she doesn't like the smoke and also a big reason I would never smoke inside is because I wouldn't want my home smelling like cigar smoke...that being said there would be just about nothing better than sitting in front of the TV or tunes and firing one up...
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    I agree with Kuzi that the lingering smell is pretty foul. I love going to a cigar bar in the winter but I always NEED to take a shower when I get home. Not for anyone else, but for myself. So for me, I wouldn't smoke inside unless I had a dedicated, ventilated room or space, preferably separated from the living area.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    kuzi16:
    i like the smell of fresh cigars. i like the smell of cigars while burning. I do not like the smell of cigars smoked last week. when it changes to that old stale smell i just dont get along with it. this is why i choose not to smoke in my castle. the attic sees a bit of smoke but there is a fan in the window and i am right next to it... it doesnt linger.
    +1, I can't stand that ammonia smell, it's disgusting. I would have to find something that was air tight to put my cigars in, or just throw off my back deck into my woods as soon as I'm done with it. Love the smell of the cigars before though, burning, inside my humi, just the smell in general is great.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    My wife has 6 cats. During my first marriage I usually smoked cigars outside, unless it was just too cold, in which case I usually just didn't smoke. Now, I figure, I'll go outside to smoke when she makes the cats go outside to go. The cigar smell is an improvement, just my opinion.
  • zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
    Well my house is my house. I like it clean and smelling good. And my wife...man she is way cleaner than me, she will clean at like 2am if she has nothing to do. She likes everything clean, all day every day.

Now, the only reason I dont want to smoke inside is cause that scent stays in your house, the carpet, the sofa, the beds, clothes, everything. Just because I like cigar smoke does not mean my wife or kid have to like it. Even I dont want none of that stuff to smell. And I'm sure my wife would kill me on top of that if I ever did, BTW. But I choose not to or have ever bought it up. I smoked cigarettes for a long time and never smoked in the house, ever. I dont want to take a shower and still smell like a giant cigar. It starts to cling to your skin....nasty!!

Even when I go to hotels, I always get non smoking. Smoking rooms are horrible!!!

Bottom line....Just cause you cant/wont smoke inside, does not mean your home is not your castle...just my 2 cents.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    I agree with Kuzi...I don't smoke in the house because I don't like the after-aroma. And coming from a guy who smoked cigarettes for a good many years, anytime and anywhere, that's saying a lot.

What's worse is that because of all those years of living with my second-hand cigarette smoke, my darling wife developed CAD (coronary artery disease) and ended up having a 6-way bypass. And she has never smoked!! You can guess how I feel about that.

No, unless it's a howlin', ragin' storm going on outside, I'll enjoy my stogie on the patio. When it's too cold or nasty for that (and I can tolerate a lot of cold) I've got a recliner, a table, and a reading light in the garage along with a wireless speaker setup so I can listen to some light classical while I'm garaging it. Life could be worse.

Marty

• ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    I smoke outside for a number of reasons. I agree with the majority of you guys, I like a clean smelling house and the lingering old cigar smell is foul. I also have a 1 year old son, so it's not fair to subject him to my smoke.
    I guess the last reason is my wife hates cigars now, she use to smoke them , but over the years she has started to detest them.
    I at least have a nice patio with a portable fire pit, for cold nights and also a 4' soffit to keep me dry on rainy nights.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    I would not like to come into my castle and have it smell like the bar downtown.

The funky smell left in my garage tells me that I would not like to have that hanging around the house all day. The wife would probably be OK with it, if I choose to start smoking in the house.

The other reason I like my winter smoking room (garage) is that I added a run of cable out to the garage and now I can watch TV while enjoying a stick. I am considering setting up an old computer out there, now that I have cable, I could be online while smoking.

The final and one of the most important reasons is that I can sit alone if I choose or I can invite the son or my wife out for at least a small visit. I spend a lot of time out there with my son, who goes to university, and still lives with us. So he and I can have some real good discussions while enjoying a stick together. No I don't go outside because the wife makes me... it is the only place to be while smoking IMO.
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    If I had one I would smoke in the garage, that being said I smoke outside because I am forced to, not that I mind either way I suppose I almost always get to enjoy my stick alone.
  • doromathdoromath Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 576
    +1 on the thoughts of avoiding stale cigar smoke here.

I used to smoke cigarettes in my house (and let others smoke there too). I never really noticed how bad it smelled until I quit. Since then I can't abide by stale smoke smell in my house.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    Amos Umwhat:
    My wife has 6 cats. During my first marriage I usually smoked cigars outside, unless it was just too cold, in which case I usually just didn't smoke. Now, I figure, I'll go outside to smoke when she makes the cats go outside to go. The cigar smell is an improvement, just my opinion.
    LOL. That is awesome. Yeah dude, I'm not the biggest fan of stale cigar smoke myself, but nothing compares to the stink off used cat litter.
    boydmcgowan:
    Amos Umwhat:
    LOL. That is awesome. Yeah dude, I'm not the biggest fan of stale cigar smoke myself, but nothing compares to the stink off used cat litter.
    I can second that, I have a cat too...damn smell is ridiculous
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    kuzi16:
    Ditto.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    just a bit of info regarding cat litter. For our last 2 cats we've used wood pellets for litter. It works wonderfully well. You can buy it packaged as "Pine Fresh" I believe but the price is a bit steep. Myself, I buy just regular wood pellets as used in pellet stoves. We've had no smell since.

The secret is that the sawdust used to make the pellets is held together with guar gum as a binder. Guar gum reacts to cat urine in such a way as to neutralize the odor. The pellet then reverts to sawdust and can be shaken through the mesh bottom of the inner litter box into the outer box. You can buy litter boxes made just for this purpose. It's an easy cleanup and, best of all, no smell!

We wouldn't use anything else. I learned of this from a breeder who sold us our second-to-last cat.

Marty

• kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Some smells that I don't like in my house... Fish, Bacon, onions, garlic, and cigar.. Although I do enjoy all of the above
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    jlmarta:
    just a bit of info regarding cat litter. For our last 2 cats we've used wood pellets for litter. It works wonderfully well. You can buy it packaged as "Pine Fresh" I believe but the price is a bit steep. Myself, I buy just regular wood pellets as used in pellet stoves. We've had no smell since.

The secret is that the sawdust used to make the pellets is held together with guar gum as a binder. Guar gum reacts to cat urine in such a way as to neutralize the odor. The pellet then reverts to sawdust and can be shaken through the mesh bottom of the inner litter box into the outer box. You can buy litter boxes made just for this purpose. It's an easy cleanup and, best of all, no smell!

We wouldn't use anything else. I learned of this from a breeder who sold us our second-to-last cat.

Marty

interesting, I might try that
    Amos Umwhat:
    jlmarta:

Marty

interesting, I might try that
    maybe when my litter maid dies, i might try this.
  • cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    I just fixed up my man cave. I move all my stuff into girlfiednds house from mine we couldn't figure out out to arrange everything we have so I took over basement finished area. My 35 inch (ya plans for replacing this winter) couch love see cabit humi full surround. Fireplace and vidio game. She encourages it to be my smoking den but I don't like the stale smoke smell. I bought a elec. time fragrance thing shoots out every 18 min. and a high power low noise bath vent thats getting installed this wkend. Im lucky but I still will sparingly smoke to keep smell down. One and day to start and down from there if need be. best part will be finding out the limit.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    +1 here!!!! here!!!
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    I don't by choice. I don't want my house smelling of old cigars. Plus it'd kill my resell value as well. I do smoke in my garage when the door is open. Getting a heater for in there for the winter. I have my poker table, dart board, etc out there so it's a good time out there.
    wow, one thing that I wasn't expecting is how many people do smoke outside their home by choice, I can totally see why though.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    kaspera79:
    Some smells that I don't like in my house... Fish, Bacon, onions, garlic, and cigar.. Although I do enjoy all of the above
    Bacon?! Blasphemous! I think bacon is one of the most wonderful smells I can imagine.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    sightunseen:
    kaspera79:
    Bacon?! Blasphemous! I think bacon is one of the most wonderful smells I can imagine.
    Particularly if it is cooked with Garlic and Onions !
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    laker1963:
    sightunseen:
    kaspera79:
    Particularly if it is cooked with Garlic and Onions !
    You could wrap scallops or even a small fish filet with the bacon with the side of garlic and onions, while smoking a cigar!
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    I like to be outside smoking on my back deck until it's too cold or rainy. I'm going to try to get the man cave up and running. The basement has a room with 2 window and is closed off. I'm going to put fans by both windows trying to create a vortex. I will have an air purifier, candles, spay and leather furniture. The carpets coming up and I'm going to put down tile. If I paint the room every year it should help with the smell. I'm not going to leave my ashes or nubs in the ashtray and that should help with the lingering smell.

I would prefer to be outside but I live alone and I own my house. I smoke in my truck and it doesn't have that lingering smoke smell either. Once again I practice everything that's above in my truck. Oh and if anyone that does smoke inside wants to try and get a good spray check out Ozium. It's expensive but very powerful and a little goes a long way.

I imagine that if I ever do get married I would probably still have my man cave if I still live in same house. If I were to move I would make sure that I had a heated garage. I wouldn't want to expose my wife or children to the smoke. We all bring different things to a relationship. My wife would have to understand that I would bring cigar smoking with me and I want to be comfortable doing it. I'm sure she will have things that I will have to understand as well. But I'm not going to freeze my butt off doing it!
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    I too smoke outside exclusively. The wife has asthma so it is a requirement and she does not like to be around me when I smoke. After 33 years of marriage I treasure that "alone" time if you know what I mean.
  • VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
    I think its because we gave them the right to go vote, and work, and get equal pay...and now they want the goddamn world...........Sorry, I dont really believe this, but I did feel the 1950's uber-male opinion was sadly missing from this discussion.