Home General Discussion

Graycliff...overrated?

JohnnySlicksterJohnnySlickster Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 48
So today I was thinking of my experiences with different brands and I realized something...I have never really had a great experience with a Graycliff cigar (granted I've only had about 5). I first had the G2 presidente a while back and it was seriously one of the worst cigars I've had--just spongy and the burn was horrible--but I chalked it up to smoking it ROTT and shook it off. last spring I bought a three pack of the GC Chateau Gran Cru and let them rest with ok results, but the first one nearly exploded on me and went out half way through. I also smoked a 1966 with a friend and I remember thinking it was going to be great because I had heard such good things, but it just ending up being overwhelmingly...mediocre. What do you guys think? I mean I'm not really one for brand bashing but ya...have I just been unlucky with Graycliff or what? I have a G2 Turbo sleeping right now and if it doesn't impress I might be done with the brand for a while...

Comments

• Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    I might be the minority here, but Graycliff's one of my favorite brands. I prefer the Bahamian blends. The 1666 and G2 are probably their worst sticks. The blue, red, and blacks are fantastic smokes. Complex, nice aromas, the flavors can be a bit delicate, but very good. I liked the Purple too. I still need to smoke the Crystal I have, but I hear it's one of their best. Really my only criticism is that their msrp is too high, and they can be a little inconsistent, but at a good price I can overlook that. My suggestion would be to try more of the Bahama blends before writing them off.

Edit: The Turbo's are supposed to be good with 6+ months on them, but before that not so great. I've got a few sitting, but since it's one of the Nicaraguan blends I'm not really in a hurry.
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    My personal experience with Graycliff has been rather limited, but I've had the opportunity to try at least a few of their offerings. Unlike Russ, the 1666 is definitely my favorite of their offerings, and I've enjoyed many of them, both ROTT and well-rested. We concur, however, on the MSRP - I think they're striving in the wrong way to demand luxury cachet (much like Gurkha imo), when it's woefully undeserved.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Russ and I have discussed Graycliff, and I think we feel the same way. I think the Bahamas-made blends are very nice cigars, while the contracted/licensed ones are the weakest representation of the name. Try w Double Espresso with 18+ months and see how you feel, I'd wager that you just might be blown away...and I realize that's easier said than done, but don't pass the chance up if it presents itself, that cigar ages wonderfully.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    I've been enjoying the G-2's, my first 1666's were pretty much as described above, but after about a year in the humi got pretty good. (although not worth the asking price)
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    Not a big fan but I have limited experience with them. I had one G2 Turbo that smoked decent, the others were mediocre at best
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    I like all the Graycliffs, but the G2 Turbo and the 1666 are my favorites.
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 269
    G2 and the original with some age I thought were OK, the blue one, professional i think its called was smokable.....overall not a big fan, especially at the price.
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,725
    I really like the 1666, G2 Turbo, Espresso, Dbl. Espresso. I didnt care for the original or the G2. The professional is ok but nothing spectacular. None of their cigars are in my top 10.
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    the 1666 is not a good stick to me. I like the G2 Turbo quite a bit. The Double Espresso is an awesome stick. it's one of those "you get what you pay for" deals.
  • Christian_SappChristian_Sapp Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 441
    I felt the same way, all my friends who smoke cigars told me graycliffs are amazing and i got a couple in one of the samplers that i bought the first one i smoke was the g2 it was alright nothing special and i told by buddy and he told me that the g2 turbo was one of his favorites so i saved it for about 4 months and i smoked it the other night when the giants won the world series and it did not impress me at all. I have 3 more 1666 in my box but im in no hurry to smoke them because so far i have not been impressed by them and for that price. Anyone want to take a survey for a research paper i have to write on ccom PM me.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    I like the Espresso and Double Espresso. I have a G2 resting now. The 1666 needs a ton of rest. Problem being that when I get around to smoking the 1666 its just ok even after all that rest. Not worth it to me so when the last one is gone I will be done with them.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    The G2's aren't bad, I don't like the 1666 at all. The only really great Graycliff I have enjoyed was a Crystal with about a year on it. That was a tasty stick, had to try one for the experience but over priced in my book. If I am going to drop that much on a stick... there are several other I would go for instead.
  • JohnnySlicksterJohnnySlickster Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 48
    Ya I'd concur with a lot of you guys that the price is the biggest drawback on the brand...perhaps "overpriced" would be more accurate than "overrated" now that I think about it. I have heard good things about the double espresso so I guess I'll keep an eye out for any deals...just reluctant to be let down again lol
  • AdcuriumAdcurium Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 170
    I've loved every Graycliff I've ever had. But what the hell do I know.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    the only GC i have had so far is the Double Espresso, I enjoyed the smoke. Not sure it was worth the price though. no desire to try the 1666 from the word of mouth I hear about these.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    I've had the 1666, Expresso, Double Expresso, Professional, G2 and the G2 Turbo. The 1666 have been hit or miss. The Expresso I don't remember but if it wowed me, I would probably remember it. The Double Expresso is good with some age. The G2 was good for a mild smoke and the G2 Turbo I liked a lot.
  • shamrockedshamrocked Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 285
    rwheelwright:
    I've had the 1666, Expresso, Double Expresso, Professional, G2 and the G2 Turbo. The 1666 have been hit or miss. The Expresso I don't remember but if it wowed me, I would probably remember it. The Double Expresso is good with some age. The G2 was good for a mild smoke and the G2 Turbo I liked a lot.

I've only tried the 1666 and the G2 - 1666 was okay in my opinion - I liked the G2 for a good no brainer mild smoke
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    Big fan of the G2 Turbo but it's an AJ stick so my bias towards his sticks may have something to do with it.
    rwheelwright:
    I'm not familiar with this "expresso" you speak of.Wink [;)]
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 583
    I have only had the Profesionale in the Pirate size. I think it is a very nice cigar. They are expensive if you pay retail, but you can find deals on them that bring them down to a reasonable level.
    yeah i have 3 1666 how long should i let them rest before i smoke them?
    For all the people mentioning price, I've not once paid more than $6 for any Graycliff cigar....and I currently have 60+, mostly Double Espresso, Crystal and Blue label. So yes, retail is crazy, but there are incredible deals to be had so price should not be as much of an impediment as you might think.
  • SchroozSchrooz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 165
    I really liked the G2 turbo. I have a feeling I will enjoy the Double Espresso. And I have a feeling I will not like anything milder than the G2 Turbo.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    Christian_Sapp:
    yeah i have 3 1666 how long should i let them rest before i smoke them?
    Mine didn't start to be "good" until they had about a year on them. Put them on the bottom of your humi and just forget about them IMO. Got one left with about a year on it. Gonna smoke her soon then I will be done with the 1666's and stick to the 2 Esp. Need to try the crystal still.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    j0z3r:
    rwheelwright:
    I'm not familiar with this "expresso" you speak of.Wink [;)]
    I've only had the one. I have another one or two lying around somewhere. It was ok and I paid a lot more than $6 for it. :-(~
    j0z3r:
    For all the people mentioning price, I've not once paid more than $6 for any Graycliff cigar....and I currently have 60+, mostly Double Espresso, Crystal and Blue label. So yes, retail is crazy, but there are incredible deals to be had so price should not be as much of an impediment as you might think.

hey joz3r please pm when you find one of these deals because i have wanted to try those but the are the more expensive ones and on a college budget im not going to lay down big bucks for something i havent tried but for 6 bucks i would love to try them
    Christian_Sapp:
    j0z3r:
    hey joz3r please pm when you find one of these deals because i have wanted to try those but the are the more expensive ones and on a college budget im not going to lay down big bucks for something i havent tried but for 6 bucks i would love to try them
    Actually, a good deal of the Graycliffs I've bought have been through cigar.com. I don't know of any deals they are currently running, but I do know a call or email to one of the cigar consultants can yield favorable results, I'm sure Tim can set you up with something, as can any of the others, but Tim is who I deal with.
  • rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    Graycliff from Bahama factory cigars are not overrated but indeed overpriced. The Graycliff original line- original, professionale, emerald, crystal, espresso, double espresso, chateau gran Cru, heritage royal are very good smoke. They are all blended by Avelino Lara who created Cuban Cohiba blend. later they made some in Nicaragua and I do not like them. They are too strong, less complex and full of harshness

Graycliff has a group of loyal customer and they love them. I do not enjoy them as much as before but I am still a Graycliff fan only those rolled in Bahama. They are complex, balanced and very flavorful.
  • VisionVision Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,701
    Russ55:
    I might be the minority here, but Graycliff's one of my favorite brands. I prefer the Bahamian blends. The 1666 and G2 are probably their worst sticks. The blue, red, and blacks are fantastic smokes. Complex, nice aromas, the flavors can be a bit delicate, but very good. I liked the Purple too. I still need to smoke the Crystal I have, but I hear it's one of their best. Really my only criticism is that their msrp is too high, and they can be a little inconsistent, but at a good price I can overlook that. My suggestion would be to try more of the Bahama blends before writing them off.

Edit: The Turbo's are supposed to be good with 6+ months on them, but before that not so great. I've got a few sitting, but since it's one of the Nicaraguan blends I'm not really in a hurry.

I will agree. The G2, G2 LTD, 1666 are no wheres close to their tops. The Black, Green, and Purple are great IMHO. Ive had a lot of 1666 that were good... I did have one about a week ago that I had to toss it was so bad. In its defense it was sitting at a local B&M in a humi that was way to low in both RH and Temp. I had a Black Label (Double Espresso) Churchill while I was in Nassau and I will say it still sticks out in my mine as one of the best Ive ever had.
  • reggie713reggie713 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,018
    Vision:
    Russ55:

I will agree. The G2, G2 LTD, 1666 are no wheres close to their tops. The Black, Green, and Purple are great IMHO. Ive had a lot of 1666 that were good... I did have one about a week ago that I had to toss it was so bad. In its defense it was sitting at a local B&M in a humi that was way to low in both RH and Temp. I had a Black Label (Double Espresso) Churchill while I was in Nassau and I will say it still sticks out in my mine as one of the best Ive ever had.
    +1 one of the first sticks i ever had was a graycliff double espresso, and i really enjoyed it.