Home General Discussion

nice single malt that doesnt break the bank

2»

Comments

• Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    Hays:
    bacon.jay:
    Something a little different that I really like is Solera-style aged dark rum. I love Matusalem, Ron Zacapa, etc. These go great with cigars, if not better than the Scotch IMHO.

+1 to the Nth degree... I finally got to try some Ron Zacapa 23 recently, and my God it was a religious experience.
    Ron Zacapa huh? I'm coming back up! Lol, seriously though I haven't had that , though Zaya is damn decent
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Just picked up a bottle of Zacapa 23 year old the other day actually. Great stuff. The X.O. is even better though...
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    docbp87:
    Just picked up a bottle of Zacapa 23 year old the other day actually. Great stuff. The X.O. is even better though...
    I hate you
    Jetmech_63:
    Hays:
    bacon.jay:
    Something a little different that I really like is Solera-style aged dark rum. I love Matusalem, Ron Zacapa, etc. These go great with cigars, if not better than the Scotch IMHO.

+1 to the Nth degree... I finally got to try some Ron Zacapa 23 recently, and my God it was a religious experience.
    Ron Zacapa huh? I'm coming back up! Lol, seriously though I haven't had that , though Zaya is damn decent
    Bring it bud! (I mean, a bottle of Ron Zacapa that is ;-) )... Naw, it was fun times hanging with you man! Will definitely have to do it again some time. If you have time this weekend when you're coming back through, hit me up. Might be able to drag Joey and/or Oz into it too.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
    docbp87:
    You are talking about the Xo Pyrat rum by Padron right? If so, that stuff is so fantastic! I tell people about that every chance I get! I think it's about time I grabbed another bottle actually
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    like the new avatar Hays!
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    ejenne87:
    docbp87:
    You are talking about the Xo Pyrat rum by Padron right? If so, that stuff is so fantastic! I tell people about that every chance I get! I think it's about time I grabbed another bottle actually
    Nah. I'm talking about Zacapa XO.
    Krieg:
    Haha thanks...I had joked about changing when I hooked up with Vinny the other day, and I guess he tripped out that I didn't look like my avatar (seeing as how I dressed that way I guess)... Althooo he kinda made it feel like a man-date when he walked up and said "Wow - you look nothing like your picture!" LOL
  • newbiesmoker24newbiesmoker24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 94
    docbp87:
    bacon.jay:
    docbp87:
    ^ thanks for the good info brother.

I personally would never call Glenlivet 18 an "inexpensive" malt by any means. For me, the best less expensive single malts are Old Pulteney 12, Highland Park 12, Glenlivet 12 (the best Scotch for a beginning maltster IMO), Ardbeg 10, Laphroaig 10, Laphroaig quarter Cask, Macallan Fine Oak 10. All of these Scotches go for ~50$ or less here in Virginia (where the state controls all liquor sales). I gained an interest in cigars through my intense love of whisky (and to a slightly lesser extent, whiskey), which to this day is still my favorite way to sit back and relax (despite my increasingly stinky cigar infused clothing/car/home lol).

It isn't hugely available in the US, but the Old Pulteney 12 is one of the most unique malts on the market. It goes for about $38 here, and has a great oak, vanilla, and fruit character, but the truly unique element comes on the finish, which is salty, like a sea breeze. Very awesome malt. Highly recommended, and a bargain to boot!
    I did not like Highland Park, no sir. Way too leathery for me. I do like Glenfiddich and Glenlivet though, however I want to find something a little more full flavored than those two, something that's more roasty than peaty. I hear Macallan is a good one, but it's so darn expensive.

Try the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. It is finished in Port Casks, so it has a red fruit, mint, and dark chocolate note on the finish that really gives it a nice round body, in addition to the regular citrus, pear, and vanilla that you get with most Highland malts, and Speysiders.

I just had the Glenmorangie Nectar D'or this weekend and it was EXCELLENT. Too bad I can't find it for under $70 a bottle. Not ridiculous for single malt but definitely above my price range for my "go-to" affordable single malt. The Balvenie Doublewood is still the best bang for MY buck right now!
  • ThewelderThewelder Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 679
    xIcedGuardianx:
    I def. hate having to deal with ABC stores and their crazy prices. I've been looking for some good pairings but never knew what to get without spending a fortune. Any reccomendations for a pairing noob?
    Thank God I don't live in Norfolk anymore.
  • ThewelderThewelder Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 679
    newbiesmoker24:
    docbp87:
    bacon.jay:
    ^ thanks for the good info brother.

I personally would never call Glenlivet 18 an "inexpensive" malt by any means. For me, the best less expensive single malts are Old Pulteney 12, Highland Park 12, Glenlivet 12 (the best Scotch for a beginning maltster IMO), Ardbeg 10, Laphroaig 10, Laphroaig quarter Cask, Macallan Fine Oak 10. All of these Scotches go for ~50$ or less here in Virginia (where the state controls all liquor sales). I gained an interest in cigars through my intense love of whisky (and to a slightly lesser extent, whiskey), which to this day is still my favorite way to sit back and relax (despite my increasingly stinky cigar infused clothing/car/home lol).

It isn't hugely available in the US, but the Old Pulteney 12 is one of the most unique malts on the market. It goes for about $38 here, and has a great oak, vanilla, and fruit character, but the truly unique element comes on the finish, which is salty, like a sea breeze. Very awesome malt. Highly recommended, and a bargain to boot!
    I did not like Highland Park, no sir. Way too leathery for me. I do like Glenfiddich and Glenlivet though, however I want to find something a little more full flavored than those two, something that's more roasty than peaty. I hear Macallan is a good one, but it's so darn expensive.

Try the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. It is finished in Port Casks, so it has a red fruit, mint, and dark chocolate note on the finish that really gives it a nice round body, in addition to the regular citrus, pear, and vanilla that you get with most Highland malts, and Speysiders.
    Plus one on the Quinta Ruban absolutely love it. Actually the first bottle I ever bought
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    Well for those of you looking for a good scotch that is not cheap but is fantastic, I'd say go with the Ardbeg Corryvreckan! This stuff will make a man out of you, being a cask strength scotch bottled at 57.1% ABV, but was damn good. Worked great Saturday night to help keep us warm on a chilly night on the patio with an Opus X. After we tried it and were blown away, I went and looked it up on Malt Advocate's website and it seems to be their favorite of the Ardbeg line because it scored an impressive 96 pts.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    Hays:
    Krieg:
    Haha thanks...I had joked about changing when I hooked up with Vinny the other day, and I guess he tripped out that I didn't look like my avatar (seeing as how I dressed that way I guess)... Althooo he kinda made it feel like a man-date when he walked up and said "Wow - you look nothing like your picture!" LOL

Yeeeeeah......my bad....no homo
  • teebone673teebone673 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 111
    If you like Irish Whiskey, I recommend Michael Collins Single Malt. It runs around $40 a bottle depending on what state you are in. It's outstanding. The price is not too bad either.
  • fuentejpsfuentejps Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 345
    ok since i startted this thread ive bought the following. 1. ardbeg islay- horrible way to much peat taste..... 2. glenmorangie 10yr- love it..... 3. belvinie double wood- good but has a bite.... 4. glenroths select reserve- my favorite. fruit, cream and supper smooth
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    I actually picked up a bottle of the balvenie doublewood just recently because of this thread. It's a bit on the lighter side, but pretty good when I'm in the mood for that.
  • rossdavey2rossdavey2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 979
    fuentejps:
    ok since i startted this thread ive bought the following. 1. ardbeg islay- horrible way to much peat taste..... 2. glenmorangie 10yr- love it..... 3. belvinie double wood- good but has a bite.... 4. glenroths select reserve- my favorite. fruit, cream and supper smooth

If you want to trade out that Ardbeg I would be willing to work something out. I love peaty malts.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    I love the Glenrothes Select too. And I agree with your pallet on the islays. Just too peaty for me. I have a few buddies who absolutely love the heavily peated scotches, but I tend to stick with Speysides, highlands or lowlands.
    ROB, I read a ton of reviews on the ardbed islay, sounds like you either love or hate it..this glenroths has a great flvour profile, mellow and creamy. almost too tasty.
    The Glenrothes is a speyside. They tend to be slightly smokey, with balanced fruit and floral notes without the peat that you get in islays. I find in general, islays are a love 'em or hate 'em kind of thing. I personally find them too heavy and one dimensional when they're that heavily peated. Try some Highlands (more fruit notes) and Lowlands (more floral) as well.
    yah, so far glenmorangie 10yr highland is my fave w/ the glenroths seyside very close behind. ive never tried a lowland. what do you recommend???
    Rob1110:
    The Glenrothes is a speyside. They tend to be slightly smokey, with balanced fruit and floral notes without the peat that you get in islays. I find in general, islays are a love 'em or hate 'em kind of thing. I personally find them too heavy and one dimensional when they're that heavily peated. Try some Highlands (more fruit notes) and Lowlands (more floral) as well.
    I've only had one lowland: Rosebank - I believe it was a 17 year - I want to say distilled in 91. My girl picked it up for me while we were on a little road trip this summer. It's a cask strength, so it needs a good amount of water to open it up but it's a really nice scotch. Very soft. Unfortunately, Lowlands are becoming tougher and tougher to find.

http://www.whisky-distilleries.info/DR_Lowlands_EN.shtml