Home General Discussion

nice single malt that doesnt break the bank

fuentejpsfuentejps Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 345
i like glen livit 18yo(i think thats what it was)

Comments

• JSaintJSaint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,848
    fuentejps:
    . Is this a question or are you just sayin glen is a good scotch? Lol
  • rossdavey2rossdavey2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 979
    Talsker 10 year is great for the money
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    Aberfeldy 12 year is pretty good. Got a 750 for $36.
  • fuentejpsfuentejps Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 345
    JSaint:
    fuentejps:
    . Is this a question or are you just sayin glen is a good scotch? Lol
    question
  • newbiesmoker24newbiesmoker24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 94
    Laphroiag 10 year or double cask (if you like a very peaty single malt)
    Also Balvenie 12 year doublewood for more traditional but still flavorful.
    Also, since we are a cigar forum I have to mention the dalmore cigar malt. It is not cheap but it is awesomely smoky! I never actually had it WITH a cigar though so I might just make the leap and buy it one of these days. Although, I heard it is no longer in production so it might be getting more expensive by the day!
  • danger350danger350 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7
    I'll second the Balvenie 12 Year Doublewood I started on Aberlour and it's still what I reach for the most these days...the 12 year is a good place to start.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    newbiesmoker24:
    Also, since we are a cigar forum I have to mention the dalmore cigar malt. It is not cheap but it is awesomely smoky! I never actually had it WITH a cigar though so I might just make the leap and buy it one of these days. Although, I heard it is no longer in production so it might be getting more expensive by the day!
    Yeah, it is no longer made.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    docbp87:
    newbiesmoker24:

yes and no. I met a Dalmore rep in Dubai at a scotch tasting. He had the cigar blend with him and it was fantastic. It is made in small quantity but not sold in the states... And eventually the line will end but the Dalmore grand reserve is supposed to be the same scotch just a diff name. I haven't gotten bottle of it to verify though.... But it's on my to do list! I thing Macallan 12 is a good deal, I pick it ip on sale for 38 bucks all the time in Fresno.
    ^ thanks for the good info brother.

I personally would never call Glenlivet 18 an "inexpensive" malt by any means. For me, the best less expensive single malts are Old Pulteney 12, Highland Park 12, Glenlivet 12 (the best Scotch for a beginning maltster IMO), Ardbeg 10, Laphroaig 10, Laphroaig quarter Cask, Macallan Fine Oak 10. All of these Scotches go for ~50$ or less here in Virginia (where the state controls all liquor sales). I gained an interest in cigars through my intense love of whisky (and to a slightly lesser extent, whiskey), which to this day is still my favorite way to sit back and relax (despite my increasingly stinky cigar infused clothing/car/home lol).

It isn't hugely available in the US, but the Old Pulteney 12 is one of the most unique malts on the market. It goes for about $38 here, and has a great oak, vanilla, and fruit character, but the truly unique element comes on the finish, which is salty, like a sea breeze. Very awesome malt. Highly recommended, and a bargain to boot!
  • xIcedGuardianxxIcedGuardianx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 873
    I def. hate having to deal with ABC stores and their crazy prices. I've been looking for some good pairings but never knew what to get without spending a fortune. Any reccomendations for a pairing noob?
    Jetmech_63:
    docbp87:
    newbiesmoker24:

yes and no. I met a Dalmore rep in Dubai at a scotch tasting. He had the cigar blend with him and it was fantastic. It is made in small quantity but not sold in the states... And eventually the line will end but the Dalmore grand reserve is supposed to be the same scotch just a diff name. I haven't gotten bottle of it to verify though.... But it's on my to do list! I thing Macallan 12 is a good deal, I pick it ip on sale for 38 bucks all the time in Fresno.

You are right. I looked into it a little further. Apparently the Grand Reserva is the same recipe as the cigar malt. Maybe they wanted to rebrand in hopes that people didn't think the malt tasted like burned cigars. Lol. I am glad Dalmore is still making that same recipe though. I have only had one glass of it but it was fantastic!
    another dumb question. is good hooch like good cigars, way cheaper buying online
  • JohnnySlicksterJohnnySlickster Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 48
    fuentejps:
    another dumb question. is good hooch like good cigars, way cheaper buying online
    +1 wondering this as well. Any good website suggestions?
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 718
    docbp87:

I personally would never call Glenlivet 18 an "inexpensive" malt by any means. For me, the best less expensive single malts are Old Pulteney 12, Highland Park 12, Glenlivet 12 (the best Scotch for a beginning maltster IMO), Ardbeg 10, Laphroaig 10, Laphroaig quarter Cask, Macallan Fine Oak 10. All of these Scotches go for ~50$ or less here in Virginia (where the state controls all liquor sales). I gained an interest in cigars through my intense love of whisky (and to a slightly lesser extent, whiskey), which to this day is still my favorite way to sit back and relax (despite my increasingly stinky cigar infused clothing/car/home lol).

It isn't hugely available in the US, but the Old Pulteney 12 is one of the most unique malts on the market. It goes for about $38 here, and has a great oak, vanilla, and fruit character, but the truly unique element comes on the finish, which is salty, like a sea breeze. Very awesome malt. Highly recommended, and a bargain to boot!
    I did not like Highland Park, no sir. Way too leathery for me. I do like Glenfiddich and Glenlivet though, however I want to find something a little more full flavored than those two, something that's more roasty than peaty. I hear Macallan is a good one, but it's so darn expensive.

bacon.jay:
    docbp87:

I did not like Highland Park, no sir. Way too leathery for me. I do like Glenfiddich and Glenlivet though, however I want to find something a little more full flavored than those two, something that's more roasty than peaty. I hear Macallan is a good one, but it's so darn expensive.

Try the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. It is finished in Port Casks, so it has a red fruit, mint, and dark chocolate note on the finish that really gives it a nice round body, in addition to the regular citrus, pear, and vanilla that you get with most Highland malts, and Speysiders.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 583
    I will third the Balvenie Doublewood. I am not a fan of blended Scotch at all and only like certain single malts, but that is a really nice one for a reasonable price.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    JohnnySlickster:
    fuentejps:
    I have found some good prices on K&L Wines website. They sell a very large variety of single malts and the Double Wood is about $38 a bottle. That's the best price I've found on it. Another great scotch that pairs well with a cigar is Auchentoshan Three Wood. It's more pricey than some of the others, but a FANTASTIC scotch!
    PuroFreak:
    JohnnySlickster:
    fuentejps:
    I have found some good prices on K&L Wines website. They sell a very large variety of single malts and the Double Wood is about $38 a bottle. That's the best price I've found on it. Another great scotch that pairs well with a cigar is Auchentoshan Three Wood. It's more pricey than some of the others, but a FANTASTIC scotch!
    I live in PA where we can't receive liquor via mail!!!! :-( I can somehow receive a 12 pack of beer from my microbrew of the month club though... so apparently liquor is deadly but beer isn't??? Stupid laws.
    so overall is it cheaper than the local liquor store
    PuroFreak:
    JohnnySlickster:
    fuentejps:
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    K&L has some great prices, they just don't ship to Maryland... Unfortunately.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    I think I'm going to have to try out this K&L. Bevmo just hasn't been cutting it lately. Thanks to whoever posted that.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 583
    For the Doublewood, I know Sam's Club carries it. I forget the price, but you won't have to pay shipping. Also, you do not have to be a member of Sam's to buy alcohol.
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 718
    docbp87:
    bacon.jay:
    docbp87:

Try the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. It is finished in Port Casks, so it has a red fruit, mint, and dark chocolate note on the finish that really gives it a nice round body, in addition to the regular citrus, pear, and vanilla that you get with most Highland malts, and Speysiders.
    Thanks Doc, I'll have to try some of that the next time I have a chance. Hopefully I'll be able to find it somewhere around here.

Something a little different that I really like is Solera-style aged dark rum. I love Matusalem, Ron Zacapa, etc. These go great with cigars, if not better than the Scotch IMHO.

How about ardbeg islay 10yr......i just bought a bottle. 43$
  • bearbbearb Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,044
    fuentejps:
    How about ardbeg islay 10yr......i just bought a bottle. 43$
    ////oh to be so lucky....the last bottle of Ardbeg 10 cost me $98 canadian (about $110 U.S. at the time) worthe every penny but booze are expensive here...and we have to buy beer at the 'beer store', liquor at the 'Liquor store'...but we can buy milk anywhere, as we have no 'milk stores' :)
    dude, this stuff is horrible. burnt rubber. way to burnt peat tasting for me. but now i know im definately a highland single malt guy. the islay is just not my taste. nice to have in my cabinet thou
  • JdoraisJdorais Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 653
    as some of you may know I'm a cheap ***, but enjoy the finer things in life. I found a single malt from islay that is darn good and only costs 17.00 a bottle. Believe it or not, it's a trader joes brand called Finlaggan Old Reserve. A client of mine is a member of some scotch brotherhood and brought a bottle with him to our local b&m, and I was hooked. It reminds me of Laphroag 12yo....
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Jdorais:
    as some of you may know I'm a cheap ***, but enjoy the finer things in life. I found a single malt from islay that is darn good and only costs 17.00 a bottle. Believe it or not, it's a trader joes brand called Finlaggan Old Reserve. A client of mine is a member of some scotch brotherhood and brought a bottle with him to our local b&m, and I was hooked. It reminds me of Laphroag 12yo....
    No joke... I may have to try that. I'm a card-carrying Trader Joes cult member (in other words, I love Trader Joes ;-) )
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    bacon.jay:
    Something a little different that I really like is Solera-style aged dark rum. I love Matusalem, Ron Zacapa, etc. These go great with cigars, if not better than the Scotch IMHO.

+1 to the Nth degree... I finally got to try some Ron Zacapa 23 recently, and my God it was a religious experience.