Home Non Cigar Related

Pipes ...

Comments

• urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    Cool. I thought I recognized those labels. Have you tried much from Butera, Esoterica, or McClelland's?
  • martymcg43martymcg43 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 396
    i love McClelland's AM pipe, generally my morning smoke. haven't tried any butera or esoterica. i want to try penzance but it seems to always be sold out
    I always loved Dunbar. Perique blends in general appealed to me -- McClelland's Grey Havens was another one high on my list -- but that one was my favorite. "And So to Bed" is a very tasty Latakia-heavy blend -- and they're not kidding about that name.

Never tried Penzance. Flake tobaccos always gave me trouble. Couldn't get them rubbed out properly to get a good smoke. Other than McClelland's Xmas Cheer, I generally stayed away from them.
    I just watched the "Frank Method" videos about how to pack and light a pipe, on YouTube. I'm sure it works great -- those Germans, they're great engineers -- but, damn, that man has a LOT of rules. He's the pipe Nazi.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    martymcg43:
    Wow that is amazing! I really like that setup. One question though. What's the nasal spray in there for? I've never smoked a pipe and don't know much about them.
    lol. the nasal spray bottle has pipe cleaner solution in it. i was suprised no one else commented on that.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    Sandman1am:
    martymcg43:
    Wow that is amazing! I really like that setup. One question though. What's the nasal spray in there for? I've never smoked a pipe and don't know much about them.

Thats Just Freaking Awesome!
    martymcg43:
    lol. the nasal spray bottle has pipe cleaner solution in it. i was suprised no one else commented on that.
    Well like I said I don't know much about pipes or anything but it was the only thing that stood out to me. Seemed a bit odd but didn't know for sure.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    hey Guys I have this Vintage LGB Meerschaum Pipe for sale, It was purchased by my wifes Grandfather in the 30's while in the service in Germany.... unique one of a Kind..... Pm me if you might be interested for the price. Thanks
    Photobucket

Photobucket

LGB Meershaum Pipe and Back and Case

Thanks Ozzie
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    So what with the cooler weather slowly creeping up on us, I've had a hankerin for my pipe more and more. And of course, what better way to sate that desire than with a new pipe! Look at THIS new (to me) beauty!

Photobucket
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    nice.

new to you?
    know how old it really is ?
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    No idea how to smoke a pipe, however, I very curious about it. Nice pipe Hays!
    Krieg:
    No idea how to smoke a pipe, however, I very curious about it. Nice pipe Hays!
    Same here guess I will have to finally ask Tat to give me the low down. Nice looking pipe Hays.
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Krieg - it's super easy... I'd be happy to send along a pipe if you want to try it out ;-).

Kuzi - it was from an estate sale, and the seller had no real idea of it. Once it comes in (in transit right now), I will be able to get a better look at it and attempt to figure it out.
    Hays:
    Krieg - it's super easy... I'd be happy to send along a pipe if you want to try it out ;-).

Kuzi - it was from an estate sale, and the seller had no real idea of it. Once it comes in (in transit right now), I will be able to get a better look at it and attempt to figure it out.
    Wow, thanks for the offer Hays! Can you send along instructions on how to smoke it?? lol, I have absolutely no clue how to pack it, light it...etc. lol, I'm pathetic young pipe virgin.
  • jship079jship079 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 621
    This thread made me want to get a pipe I just have not got it yet but I will
    Hays:
    So what with the cooler weather slowly creeping up on us, I've had a hankerin for my pipe more and more. And of course, what better way to sate that desire than with a new pipe! Look at THIS new (to me) beauty!

Photobucket
    gorgeous... now i might have to jump back into pipe smoking... i may have a bowl this evening after work.
    bump. cold weather. warm pipes...
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    I've alays wanted to try a pipe. Any reccomendations on a good starter, not too expensive but not too cheap quality. Website or other....Thanks!
    what price range were you looking at?
    So settled on a nice savinelli, any tobacco that is preferable for pipe break in?
  • jship079jship079 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 621
    Jetmech_63:
    So settled on a nice savinelli, any tobacco that is preferable for pipe break in?
    Peterson luxury blend or MacBbaren black ambrosia for aromatics for non-aromatics Cornellanddiehl Sunday picnic or opening night you can get a 8 tobacco sampler of 2oz bulk for 40buck from C&D http://www.cornellanddiehl.com/ I have not tried any thing from C&D or GLPease I have not liked (C&D caries GLPease and twofriends as part of the sampler two friends bed and breakfast is outstanding. I have a list of most people top pipe and tobacco site but they all sell cigars so pm me if you want a few. If pipe smoking is not for you let me know and we can probably trade cigars for your pipe stuff. As far as breaking in your pipe you can get alot of good info on this site www.pipesmagazine.com
    Shweet! Thanks for the info and offer J!
    what savinelli did you get? haven't had a cigar in a while. been smoking my pipe everyday for the past week or so...
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    I need a nice pipe. I find myself smoking it more and more now that the weather is cooler. I have been smoking a corncob pipe for 2 years. I think it is time to invest in something a little nicer.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Jetmech_63:
    I've always been partial to Captain Black or Borkum Riff. If you ever feel like splurging on another pipe and have money to burn, you might wanna check out Peterson pipes, or get a nice Merschaum (spelling?) Not sure if you know or not, but merschaum isn't a brand of pipe, but rather the type of wood used to make the pipe) - those merschaums look beautiful when they start aging - they start out white and slowly turn yellow over time

If you're breaking in a pipe, remember to only pack it 1/3 of the way, smoke it about 10 times (10 bowls), pack it 2/3 of the way, smoke 10 times, then you can pack the thing entirely. If you start off packing a new pipe full to the brim, you could very well crack it - pipes need to go through a seasoning process to build up a cake on the inside to protect the wood from burning
    The Savinelli didnt work out so i went with a Kaywoodie Campus(cute little thing) and a Kaywoodie Relief Grain. Both estate pipes in incredible condition. Jship hooked me up in epic fashion with a ton to toacco, i went to the B&M and got some Black Cavendish and Virginia blend that is their most popular and also have some Dunhill Nightcap, Sutliff Maple and Mccleland Holiday Spirit in the mail. I've been piping in my car on the 45 minute drive to work, splendid way to spend the otherwise boring drive! I'm really digging the pipe realm.
    xmacro:
    Jetmech_63:
    I've always been partial to Captain Black or Borkum Riff. If you ever feel like splurging on another pipe and have money to burn, you might wanna check out Peterson pipes, or get a nice Merschaum (spelling?) Not sure if you know or not, but merschaum isn't a brand of pipe, but rather the type of wood used to make the pipe) - those merschaums look beautiful when they start aging - they start out white and slowly turn yellow over time

If you're breaking in a pipe, remember to only pack it 1/3 of the way, smoke it about 10 times (10 bowls), pack it 2/3 of the way, smoke 10 times, then you can pack the thing entirely. If you start off packing a new pipe full to the brim, you could very well crack it - pipes need to go through a seasoning process to build up a cake on the inside to protect the wood from burning
    interesting, never read this before or heard it mentioned in any of the pipe videos I've been watching. Thanks for the tip.