Home Non Cigar Related

Pipes ...

Comments

• zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    Alex Williams:
    stephen_hannibal:
    Dude tell me about your packing method.
    Typically I loose pack the stuff in the middle of the bowl (second pinch) cause that's when I encounter burn trouble.
    The bottom of the bowl and the top are solid. Then after the false light I work the poker into the middle to kind of tunnel it.
    That's the only way I've gotten it to stay lit longer than 5-6 mins.
    Sorry it has taken me this long to respond Stephen I just haven't seen this thread. I always have done very loose at the bottom, firm in the middle, and pack it hard at the top. I think it was kuzi who said it best : first pack it with the hand of a child, then the hand of a mother, then the hand of the father. You want the tobacco to be looser at the bottom and tight at the top. And after you get the packing down, it is just a matter or regulating your smokin and such. Why helped me sun I got started was after the first time it went out, pack your ash down with your tamp nice and tight. It will give a good lighting base and help it stay lit longer. Hope this helps man!
    This is the same method taught to me by an old timer at the smoke shop back when I first started smoking pipes in college. It works great. He called it the "Goldilocks" method. I haven't picked up one of my pipes in years, guess I need to pull them out. My first was a well experinced bentstem briar gifted to me by a friend; I also have a very nice meerschaum lined briar, and a very nice carved meerschaum which my best friend brought me back as a gift that he got in Turkey while on a Navy cruise.
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Well, I finally got my hands on a pipe (thanks to a great BOTL from here on the forum). Thought I'd post some pix from my first bowl...currently on my second as I type this.

Photobucket
    Photobucket
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,515
    Hays:
    Well, I finally got my hands on a pipe (thanks to a great BOTL from here on the forum). Thought I'd post some pix from my first bowl...currently on my second as I type this.

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    That's a good looking pipe right there! How you likin it? What blend are you using?
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    Are there Any PIPE COLLECTORS IN THIS FORUM?.. I have a Vintage Custom Meerschaum Pipe hand Carved from Austria, From the 20's-40's. It is an Incredible piece. Ill post some pics here if anyone would like to see it. Or PM me. Thanks Ozzie
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Hell yeah, OZ, we want to see it....
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    Hays thats a good looking pipe, I like it. I did notice the greenish coloring on the stem. Thats oxidation and it will affect what you are tasting. There are a few ways to remove that but this is what I use. You definetly want to get that off of there.
    Redtailhawkoz:
    Are there Any PIPE COLLECTORS IN THIS FORUM?.. I have a Vintage Custom Meerschaum Pipe hand Carved from Austria, From the 20's-40's. It is an Incredible piece. Ill post some pics here if anyone would like to see it. Or PM me. Thanks Ozzie
    I'm a novice collector, I'd love to see it.

I love the Meerschaums. I have a standard bowl Meerschaum from the 40's and a real Calabash(Sherlock Holmes style).
    madurofan:
    Redtailhawkoz:

I love the Meerschaums. I have a standard bowl Meerschaum from the 40's and a real Calabash(Sherlock Holmes style).
    Stand by for Posts! Ill post pics shortly in a bit
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 720
    Redtailhawkoz:
    madurofan:
    Redtailhawkoz:

Stand by for Posts! Ill post pics shortly in a bit
    Woo Hoo, show us your ti... PIPE!!
    Hays:
    Well, I finally got my hands on a pipe (thanks to a great BOTL from here on the forum). Thought I'd post some pix from my first bowl...currently on my second as I type this
    Good looking pipe Hays, how you liking it so far?
    madurofan:
    Redtailhawkoz:

Photobucket Photobucket LGB Meershaum Pipe and Back and Case There you go man.. Let me know if you might know someone that might be interested in it...... Its pricy! LOL Peace Ozzie
    Daaaaammmmmnnn Ozzie, is everything you have cool? That's awesome!! I can't afford that, but I do want to collect some pipes. And learn how to carve the kind of pipe I want out of a briar block.
    nightmaremike31:
    Daaaaammmmmnnn Ozzie, is everything you have cool? That's awesome!! I can't afford that, but I do want to collect some pipes. And learn how to carve the kind of pipe I want out of a briar block.
    I dont know if everything I have acquired is cool but I do know I am a Blessed man. The Creator has blessed me with Many Treasures for sure. If you could see some of the things that Have gone through my hands over the years ........ damn i wish I had some of them back! But That's the past and Life goes on! You should see some of the Hand Carved Elephant trunks things My wife and I have that's like 100 years old... Damn near Priceless........ Its not for me but It is a nice investment that we have not a dime in! LOL
    Ozzie, thats beautiful.
    <~~~Jealous
    Yup...I fell in love with this schtuff, and found a beautiful pipe at a local Antique super-warehouse. Pietro bent with military mount. Currently in the process of sanitizing and restoring, but I couldn't wait and had one smoke out of it already.

Photobucket
    Photobucket
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    Hays did you get the pics I sent you????
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    Congrats, Hays! It suits you.
    I haven't gotten anything Hawk, and thanks a lot Urbi - I'm really likin it, and it was a good score.
    Hays:
    Yup...I fell in love with this schtuff, and found a beautiful pipe at a local Antique super-warehouse. Pietro bent with military mount. Currently in the process of sanitizing and restoring, but I couldn't wait and had one smoke out of it already.

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    That Pipe is you!
  • martymcg43martymcg43 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 396
    i bought a Peterson St. Patricks Day fishtail (B30) pipe about a month ago. think i'll break that one in today.
    martymcg43:
    i bought a Peterson St. Patricks Day fishtail (B30) pipe about a month ago. think i'll break that one in today.
    Very cool! Post some pics!
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Hays:

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    I think that pipe really fits you, great find!
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,515
    martymcg43:
    holy schnikeys!! i think you have more tobacco than Nestor Plascencia!
    ha. on top of 400 cigars or so. i could quit buying cigars and pipe stuff today and still have enough to smoke for the next 5 years or so. but it's too much fun. you only live once right...
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    Hays:

Photobucket
    Photobucket

Hays I don't think I have ever seen a pipe and person more suited for one another ! That is awsome !
    Marty....
    Holy cow dude! Not only is that an absolutely beautiful Peterson, but you have quite the collection!

Gene,
    Thank you for those words kind sir...I do believe I love it ;-)
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    martymcg43:
    Damn nice variety, marty! You've got pretty much the same containers as I used -- Mason jars and those square glass jars. But you've got a lot more of them.

Are those 4 white tins on the bottom left Cornell & Diehl blends?
    C&D bayou morning, milk and honey, and serenity series comfort. the other one is Two Friends Redwood