Home General Discussion

Just not that into it...

2»

Comments

• RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    brotheradam:
    Not digging any of the Perdomo's I've had.

+1 on that!
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    Redtailhawkoz:
    brotheradam:

+1 on that!
    Ive had a few perdomo's and really only liked the squared.

Out of the Ghurkas Ive had I really only liked the Centurian....

Oliva is bit hit or big miss for me. Love a couple and really dont care for others.

• sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    For the RP's that I've tried, it's been take-it or leave-it for me.
  • bluezulubluezulu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 108
    I mean the board goes crazy over the Ghurka line. However the one I had was so bad, I gave the other single to my cousin that said it was harsh as well. Unless I get a free Ghurka I will have a hard time trying one again. Out of all the cigars I have tried that stick was the worse. I know one stick does not make a brand bad but it tasted soo harsh.
  • TheDrifterTheDrifter Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 83
    Just had a Man o' War Virtue on my break, awesome cigar, I'm definitely going to have to give the regular one another shot to see if maybe I got a dud or just missed the mark entirely on it.
  • babsdpubabsdpu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 143
    First impressions only, but I've been underwhelmed by pretty much every Rocky Patel I've ever tried. Not that they're bad, but they won't ever be the first ones I reach for...except maybe the 99.

The other one that really disappointed me was the CAO La Traviata. Ohhhhh man, I was really hoping I'd like it, but it just wasn't my bag. I can't help but think I'll have to give that one another try.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    kaspera79:
    Hey Luko (otsf), I too like most of RP's stuff, and there is a ton of it, including the Nordings which seem to be harder to find these days. But the Padilla 1932 is right at the top of my favorites list. You and I have what I consider similar tastes based on several of your past posts, so you may find them enjoyable if you haven't tried them yet.
    Kasper, haven't tried the 1932 but agree about our similar tastes, so I'll definitely check it out...thanks man.
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    don't like many padron's, if any. also really don't like the AB SCR, tastes like smoking a leather belt to me. wasn't really impressed with the God of Fire either, but I will revisit that though.
  • jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 294
    brotheradam:
    Blasphemer!
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    bluezulu:
    I mean the board goes crazy over the Ghurka line. However the one I had was so bad, I gave the other single to my cousin that said it was harsh as well. Unless I get a free Ghurka I will have a hard time trying one again. Out of all the cigars I have tried that stick was the worse. I know one stick does not make a brand bad but it tasted soo harsh.
    heh, actually a lot of guys here rip on Gurkha pretty badly. Myself included. IMHO Gurkha's way of doing business goes something like this: "Let's find some crazy-ass tobacco that sounds really unique and expensive, blend it into a cigar that tastes exactly like every other mediocre blend we have, market it like crazy and package it up in some box of whale bone, and then sell it at a ridiculous retail price! We have a winner!"
  • ironhorseironhorse Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 469
    I wished I could say that my taste was refined enough to select an entire brand that I didn't like. It used to be Gurkha, but then I had the Titan II and the Centurian and the VH7. Then it used to be Graycliff, and then I had one good 1666 (out of 3) and the Double Espresso. Now I am all over the map and don't have any cigar loyalties or grudges. Maybe somedayyyyyy
  • bluezulubluezulu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 108
    TatuajeVI:
    bluezulu:
    heh, actually a lot of guys here rip on Gurkha pretty badly. Myself included. IMHO Gurkha's way of doing business goes something like this: "Let's find some crazy-ass tobacco that sounds really unique and expensive, blend it into a cigar that tastes exactly like every other mediocre blend we have, market it like crazy and package it up in some box of whale bone, and then sell it at a ridiculous retail price! We have a winner!"
    ------------------------------------------------------- Man this is actually what I thought. You just put it better. To me Gurkha just tasted like meh.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,585
    For me, Padilla is a no go. Tried a bunch, can't find one I like. Also, Gurkha for the most part, although the Park Ave and the Micro-batch Lancero (TPB-1 maybe?) are both really good to me.
  • Duder2Duder2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 926
    TheDrifter:
    I know I'm going to be drug out the back and shot for this, but I had a Man o' War for the first time last night and was totally underwhelmed. Not sure exactly what I was expecting but I found it incredibly one dimensional and just flat out boring. I bought one of each, the regular, SE, Ruination and Virtue so I haven't thrown them out the window and I'll probably try another just to see if I'm missing something but I was very disappointed with how favorable they seem to be.
    How much rest did it have? I didn't really like the MOW at all until it had at least 4 months on it, after that they are fantastic! That's just my experience and opinion though.
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,048
    amazing stick..
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,725
    The Nica Libre and Alec Bradley Tempus both let me down. I still have mutiples of both and will revisit, just not that excited to.
  • rgalyon0911rgalyon0911 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 53
    I have never been a fan of the punch line. I have tried several different sticks and just can't get into them.
    Duder2:
    TheDrifter:
    I know I'm going to be drug out the back and shot for this, but I had a Man o' War for the first time last night and was totally underwhelmed. Not sure exactly what I was expecting but I found it incredibly one dimensional and just flat out boring. I bought one of each, the regular, SE, Ruination and Virtue so I haven't thrown them out the window and I'll probably try another just to see if I'm missing something but I was very disappointed with how favorable they seem to be.
    How much rest did it have? I didn't really like the MOW at all until it had at least 4 months on it, after that they are fantastic! That's just my experience and opinion though.

It had about a month or so on it, no offense but I'm not into buying cigars and then waiting four months for the possibility of it to get better. I just don't think I'm a fan of the regular Man o' War or the Ruination. The Virtue I had was great, started off with a kick and some spice, then it mellowed out and had hints of sweet cream, coffee and some chocolate and the last third had that kick again along with a big nicotine rush, the whole time there's this earthy undertone to it, loved it, smoked it to the nub and them some.

But both the Ruination and Standard I found rather one dimensional, toward the middle/end the Ruination it got better, but I was done with it by the time it hit the band. Every other smoke I've had hasn't had as much rest as those two have had and haven't had an issue, so like I said, it's me, I'm just not into them, sans the Ruination. I have the SE so I'll heed your advice and give it another few months and revisit but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm in no way trying to bash that line, as I see a lot of people like them, but they just aren't for me, my favorite line has been Partagas pretty much since I started smoking and I see a lot of slag for them as well, at the end of the day it's just preference.
    rgalyon0911:
    I have never been a fan of the punch line. I have tried several different sticks and just can't get into them.
    Have you tried the Uppercut? If you're feeling adventurous I'd say get one and give it a shot, I found that it stepped out of the normal Punch realm and had it's own thing going on and I greatly enjoyed it. You can even see in their marketing that they're trying to separate it from the rest of the Punch line as it banded as "Uppercut...by Punch"

Worth the price of admission in my opinion.
  • SmokeeeSmokeee Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 221
    You guys are probably gonna take me out behide the shed and talk some sense into me, but I just can't get into the Arturo Fuente OpusX. Recently just revisted that one hoping for a different outcome to no avail. Made me sick and had to keep re-lighting it. I dunno what it is really... but I'm just not that into this one, tho I know a LOT of others are!
  • ThinBluLine06ThinBluLine06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 283
    Alec Bradley Sungrown...I dont know if i just didnt give it enough rest, or if I just dont like the sungrown wrappers...Tasted like wet moldy grass....not into it at all...
  • ljlljl Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 819
    ThinBluLine06:
    Alec Bradley Sungrown...I dont know if i just didnt give it enough rest, or if I just dont like the sungrown wrappers...Tasted like wet moldy grass....not into it at all...

That taste usually indicates you need more rest on the cigar. Personally I feel like AB has really been nailing it lately. The tempus, SCR, and prensado have all been great IMHO. Harvest habano not too bad either.

I keep seeing the RP line on here as a take it or leave it. I would agree for the most part - I have found I like the RP sungrown and the ITC super fuerte is great if you have the time to wait it out.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Smokeee:
    You guys are probably gonna take me out behide the shed and talk some sense into me, but I just can't get into the Arturo Fuente OpusX. Recently just revisted that one hoping for a different outcome to no avail. Made me sick and had to keep re-lighting it. I dunno what it is really... but I'm just not that into this one, tho I know a LOT of others are!
    Hey smokeee... You better update your favorites in your bio, or someone may send you something you don't like. If you have any extras......you know the rest.
  • surfingzeekosurfingzeeko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 628
    RP Sungrown...I bought a few of these in the petite corona size for a shorter length smoke, and I put it out after about 10 minutes. Can't put my finger on it, but I just didn't enjoy it.
  • surfingzeekosurfingzeeko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 628
    oh and the Sol Cubano Artisan. What a polished turd.
  • smbrinksmbrink Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    The Verdadero(?) Organic. I had been looking forward to this stick for a long time and when I finally got around to smoking one I was extremly let down. I mean this stick (IMO) is straight up nasty!