Home General Discussion

Smoking alone

jship079jship079 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 621
Does anyone elese hate smoking alone? I used to smoke every day with my father the cigars seemed to taste better with company. Since I moved I only smoke alone most of the time since my friends ans I who smoke have a hard time getting our schedules to meet

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    jship079:
    cigars seemed to taste better with company.
    i agree...

but i dont hate it .
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    kuzi16:
    jship079:
    cigars seemed to taste better with company.
    i agree...

but i dont hate it .
    same here...imo...cigars always taste better with company, but i usually do smoke alone, and it doesn't bother me that much.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 583
    I think most people most of the time enjoy a smoke more with someone else.I know I do. But smoking by one's self isn't bad, just not as good, IMO.
  • cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    I rarely get a chance to smoke with others im a bit out of the way for most of my friends to come over for a smoke. But I am able to take a little more time when smoking alone and actually enjoy the cigar to its fullest when i can focus on it alone.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,762
    I don't mind smoking alone since none of my friends smoke I usually have no other option. The closest I get to smoking with friends is when I take a stick out to my weekly softball game.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    I smoke alone most of the time since I smoke while studying; that said, a lot of the best cigars I've ever had were smoked with my Dad out by the pool. Good company can really do wonders
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    There are actually a lot of times I PREFER smoking alone. I have found a very nice little park in our town that is deserted (except for deer and the occasional fox) early on Saturday and Sunday mornings. A good book, a good smoke, and my non-alcoholic beverage of choice out there while my family is sleeping in is a really great way to decompress from the week and get some relaxing "me" time in.

I got into this hobby, partly, as a way to force myself to take an hour or so to relax once in a while. Sometimes I dont like anyone else intruding on that time... :-D
  • GentlemanGentleman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 152
    I hate smoking alone so I try to avoid it. I let my sticks sit in the humi and if my smokin buddy stops by we'll light up. When i sit outside and BBQ, smoking alone isn't as bad though.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    addendum...

when i do a review i always smoke alone. that i am beginning to enjoy more and more.
  • bluezulubluezulu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 108
    Almost always smoke alone. I have a cousin who smokes cigars but that is it. Once I took a fine lady on a date to a cigar bar and she smokes and it was real chill. Probably best to smoke with someone but I would rather smoke alone then not at all. Hey that makes a great sig.
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    I like to stream some Dexter off of Netflix and light up a stick and just sit and chill by myself. I also like to smoke with friends
  • thehoffthehoff Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 76
    I'd much rather smoke with family than alone but that doesn't deter me from lighting up by myself.  If I only smoked with people I would be broke at the B&M or smoke only during holidays.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Most of the time my smokes are on the daily commute.

• vegassparkyvegassparky Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 365
    When i smoke alone i usually smoke alot faster. i find when i am smoking with other people, it is more enjoyable. i think talking slows you down and lets the true flavor of the cigar emerge. That being said if it wasnt a 118 degrees outside today, i would be reclined in my backyard enjoying a nice smoke by myself. Guess i have to wait for the sun to go down.
  • gaberoxgaberox Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 824
    Hmm since I left Tampa I smoke alone 100% of the time. Unless you count the forums as I always enjoy with laptop in hand. I dont mind at all as its very peacefull and what I consider medatation.

None of my friends out here are into cigars and all the bnms are not avg joe friendly at all. Back in Tampa I would just hang out in Ybor and the Tampa Humidor and meet all kinds of cool people to enjoy and talk cigars with.

Smoking alone and with company are 2 totally different animals. Alone you can just get lost in your cigar picking up every subtle detail and just enjoying all the stick has to offer. With company its all about comradery and connection with other people who share you passion. Both are awesome. I always wish I could get friends into cigars but its just not for everyone.
  • ug danug dan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 375
    I generally smoke alone and enjoy it, it gives me time to reflect. That being said smoking with friends in a social setting is nice too. I guess I enjoy my cigars no matter what the setting!
  • babsdpubabsdpu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 143
    I almost always smoke alone, and I do get that nagging feeling sometimes, but more often than not I'm reminded that my cigar means an hour or two of "me time"...and that is pretty much priceless!
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    When I smoke alone, I go outside with a radio and listen to sports talk radio and my computer. I love it and love some alone time but I still prefer to smoke with others.
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    I like to keep it in balance... I love the meditative nature of smoking alone in the dark, exploring the nuances of not only the cigar in my hand, but of the day and life in itself. On the other hand, smoking with friends always leads to excellent conversation, and I'm a social creature, so this works excellently. If I find myself trending more towards one venue or the other, I tend to revert and re-balance.
  • brettmanbrettman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 34
    Smoking for me is usually an unwinder at the end of the day, my quiet time, so I usually smoke alone. Although I still strongly agree that smoking in good company is preferred, I just don't have that many friends that enjoy a fine cigar.
  • bigbgballzbigbgballz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 283
    Its always better with company, but i smoke most of time bymyself. Occasionally will go to B&M or Casa Fuente for a nice Mojito and a fine cigar, or at home with one of my smoking budies to discuss shitty economy, unemployment, sports and so on :)
  • surfingzeekosurfingzeeko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 628
    It's hard to find people my own age in California to smoke a cigar with who aren't either total d-bags or who are smoking flavored swishers or phillies, so I almost always smoke alone. I'm not complaining though :)
  • doromathdoromath Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 576
    It's two different animals for me. Well actually three. I have a few friends that smoke cigars or are at least cigar friendly (as they're cigarette smokers) and when we get together I'll usually burn a stogie. The company is great and it's a nice social experience. Generally I would smoke alone, which I actually really enjoy for the meditative effects, as I tend to accumulate stress and smoking alone dissipates that and kind of resets me. Lately however, my fiance has been joining me on the porch as she's taken up knitting. We'll turn on some music and just sit and enjoy our hobbies, talking about whatever comes up. It's still very calming for me, though in a different way.

One thing I can say, is no matter which of the 3 scenarios above are happening, I'm never longing for it to be a different one.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    I have always smoked alone. Don't know any of my friends who indulge. Most recently, I had the opportunity to smoke with an old friend. We were on our yearly week in Myrtle Beach to golf. One evening we were just sitting around after dinner chatting. He had expressed an interest earlier in cigars..so I brought out two "very special " stiks. For the next two hours we talked about the past and how things had gone for each of us. He is retired and had worked in the same company I had for over 35 years. That was the one and only time I have smoked with anyone. We had a marvelous conversation and I thoroughly enjoyed sharing. It was a very good experience, but I still enjoy the relaxation of smoking alone. It relaxes me and allows me to just not think about anything but the moment.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    It really depends on my mood. Most of the time I prefer to smoke alone because it's my time and I like to smoke, reflect, and sometimes just space out. Smoking with good friends has its obvious benefits. I've had many an awesome conversation with friends over a cigar.
  • jet057jet057 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 30
    I do every thing alone as i am a 'Lone Wolf".Playing golf when friends & family is cool but anything else recreationalwise i do alone ,especially when it comes to riding my M/C,I sir "dont smoke" cigars i puff and enjoy taste from a quality cigar,thank u,imo.
  • AdcuriumAdcurium Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 170
    I'm with you here. I usually enjoy a smoke alone, as a one hour vacation or mental health break. I'll stop at the beach on my way to/from an appointment and grab a bench. But with the warm weatehr here, I will sometimes sit on the back deck at the end of the night, make some cocktails and have a stick while my wife and I relax and unwind. In the winter I'll go to my B&M, and there I'll have no choice but to be social. But I would prefer to have my local cigar lounge all to myself.
  • MrMokeMrMoke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 321
    I wouldn't say I hate it but it is a necessary evil, I really enjoy a cigar with good company more than anything else, 2nd best is a cigar period!

I live out in the boonies and my nearest B&M is about 16 miles away and closes at 8:00pm, too early for me to make it home and go back out again. I try to make as many 'events' at the B&Ms in town where I'll go after work, and there is a nice little watering hole on my way home out I-10 west of Houston that is cigar friendly and is far enough out (outside Houston city limit) that the Tobacco *** do not hold sway.

But mostly I smoke with my two dogs and three cats under my car port, although this time of year the TX climate is too humid for my comfort, being from a more northern latitude.

Tonight, I'm am riding with my wife so will try to get out of work early, oops it's 3:45pm already!!!! Will grab a Starbucks and stop at a B&M not far from my office, even though there's not one close to my abode, there's at least 6, 5 of which I have visited within 15 - 20 minutes drive time. :)

• ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    Depends on my mood. I do like it when the gf comes out and sits with me and we talk. It gives us good alone time, she has a kid that lives with us. Other times I need some me time so it'll be me, a book and a nice smoke.
  • Pacman84Pacman84 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 633
    I have gotten used to smoking alone and that's fine with me. It's my time to just relax forget about some stuff and just enjoy this great hobby of ours. I wouldn't mind smoking with company every now and then it's just that everyone around here smokes cigarets. People around here may look at me funny because I'd rather have a cigar and that's cool I don't care they don't know what they're missing.