Home General Discussion

punch or cutter?

vegassparkyvegassparky Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 365
I have always use a cutter. Had a smoke with a snotty little turd who used a punch! dont really care for him, so i didnt ask why he uses a punch. so what do you guys use? and what if any is the advantages of a punch?

Comments

• GentlemanGentleman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 152
    I went to a Renaissance Fair and they requested that cigar smokers use punch cutters. Their reasoning was that they didn't want us spitting everywhere and a punch would reduce the urge to spit. I spit when I smoke and found a punch helps but i prefer a regular cutter.
  • kaipocruz1kaipocruz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 61
    I use a punch when I'm out on the golf course because my lighter has one on it...just convenient not fumbling around for a cutter out there. However I cut my cigars basically 98% of the time, because I find the smoke to be cooler and fuller. I think that the punch restricts airflow a little, and for me it's a bit of a turnoff. There are a couple advantages to the punch though...I've never botched a head of a cigar with one (ie. wrapper unraveling) and if the cigar is mix filler, it keeps a lot of the shrapnel out of your mouth.
  • JSaintJSaint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,848
    I use 4 different tools lol. I have a Punch, a triple guillotine cutter from CC, a double guillotine cutter i recieved from my grandfather, and then a V cutter. I use the Double and the Punch the most out of the 4.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 583
    I used to cut everything. I prefer torpedos, belicosos, and the like so I still use a cutter a lot. that said, I find myself using the punch on the bottom of my Xikar Eris a lot. I like how simple it is, especially if I am on the go. One less thing to bring along, no screwing up the cut. If a draw is tight I can always punch it again and if that still fails, I can cut it, but franklly if multiple punches don't work, the draw is probably going to be tight, regardless.
  • Pacman84Pacman84 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 633
    I would use a cutter a lot until I got my bugatti lighter that comes with a built in punch cutter. I have been using it more. It works better for me.
  • martymcg43martymcg43 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 396
    i like the punch. i think it's easier and cleaner...
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    I use a vcut on almost everything.
    It gives the smoke a great mouth feel.

• jship079jship079 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 621
    I use a cutter I was thinking of getting the XI scissors but never seen anyone use them but it sure seems like a cool tool
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    Xi2 on almost everything.
  • MrMokeMrMoke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 321
    Guillotine cutter, preferrably double blade or scissors on torps and belicosos, it would be difficult, near inpossible to use a punch on those anyhow (someone please speak up about your technique if you do? ....), I like to punch just about everything that's capped, it's cleaner, I have one built into my triple flame, and have a bullet punch on my keychain, although have found that a v-cut seems to allow a better draw one smaller vitolas, panatellas etc.

• jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    While I love my Xikar Spectra I prefer a punch. Since torpedos are my favorite I am often using a cutter. Prefer a punch.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    punch as much as i can
    double guillotine for the rest

...but always a Xikar.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,585
    MrMoke:
    Guillotine cutter, preferrably double blade or scissors on torps and belicosos, it would be difficult, near inpossible to use a punch on those anyhow (someone please speak up about your technique if you do? ....),
    i believe you can... what i was told is to punch the side of the head of the cigar instead of straight into the head. never tried it myself.

Personally, I use a Xi2 on most everything, but have been using my punches on my Bugatti lighter more and more. I'm kind of liking the punch a lot.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    kuzi16:
    punch as much as i can
    double guillotine for the rest

...but always a Xikar.
    +1. Pretty much only use my double guillotine for torpedos any more.
  • bigbgballzbigbgballz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 283
    Xicar for torpedoes or anything that cant be punched.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Cutter, 99.9% of the time, every so often I'll punch a cigar but I really prefer the way they smoke when cut with a cutter.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    Guillotine cutter all the way. Wish I had a better one though. My cutter's getting old and a little dull, I think.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    I don't like to overthink anything...I use a double guillotine cutter every time. I have never once had a bad cut, unraveling, etc. ***, I probably just jinxed myself.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    Luko:
    I don't like to overthink anything...I use a double guillotine cutter every time. I have never once had a bad cut, unraveling, etc. ***, I probably just jinxed myself.
    Lol. Just so long as you don't cut too deep, you're good.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 583
    wwhwang:
    Guillotine cutter all the way. Wish I had a better one though. My cutter's getting old and a little dull, I think.
    A lot of people like Xikar, and they make fine products, to be sure. Personally, I prefer Palio. I believe their warranty is just as good, if not better, than Xikar. I had the stitching for the velcro on the pouch of mine start coming undone. I sent an email to their CS and got a telephone call from their VP asking for my information. He said they had a bad run and switched the design around a little. Got the replacement in less than a weel and it is flawless. They are around the same price as the Xikar Xi2 cutters. You can find out a little more about them here.

http://paliocutter.com/
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    One2gofst:
    wwhwang:
    A lot of people like Xikar, and they make fine products, to be sure. Personally, I prefer Palio. I believe their warranty is just as good, if not better, than Xikar. I had the stitching for the velcro on the pouch of mine start coming undone. I sent an email to their CS and got a telephone call from their VP asking for my information. He said they had a bad run and switched the design around a little. Got the replacement in less than a weel and it is flawless. They are around the same price as the Xikar Xi2 cutters. You can find out a little more about them here.

http://paliocutter.com/
    those are damn fine cutters as well.
  • ironhorseironhorse Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 469
    I almost always cut, but I have a punch as well that I will use on milder cigars. However, I was using a Xi2 for a long time, but I got a new Xikar Ultra slim lighter and cutter, and the cutter is freaking AWESOME. (lighter is great too) Not that I don't like my Xi2, but the ultra slim cutter is razor sharp and straight. It just seems as if the blades are thinner and tighter than the Xi2. Check it out if you are in the market for a new cutter. Super compact too.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    I have really Sharp teeth..
  • bluezulubluezulu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 108
    Depends. Cutter on torpedoes, punch on most every thing else. Punch is on my car keys so just more convenient.
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    Cutter on torps Cigar Spike on others.
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    cabinetmaker:
    nom nom nom huh?
  • Big T smokesBig T smokes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 211
    I've been using a cheap cutter and I love it. I enjoy the feeling of cutting the cigar for one, and two I just think you get a lil more flavor with it. Just my two cents. I'm going to get a punch eventually because I'd like it for hosting purposes. Some people just prefer the punch so I'd like to have that option if friends are smoking with me.
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 269
    stephen_hannibal:
    I use a vcut on almost everything.
    It gives the smoke a great mouth feel.

+1 I love the V-cut. Keeps the head together and allows for a good draw. Some cigars require a full guillotine cut due to draw and sometimes flavor. Nothing wrong with a punch though. works just fine, but the V-cut is just sexy!
  • RippRipp Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 125
    cabinetmaker:
    I did that once at a bachelor party weekend.. will never do ago. I love my punch! Only use a cutter on torps.
  • shamrockedshamrocked Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 285
    i tend to prefer a cutter when i am at home. definitely keeps the cigar cooler and i feel like with the punch you have to take puffs more often to keep the cigar burning due to the restricted air flow. However, i typically use the punch if i go to a cigar bar, golf course, etc... i keep one on my keychain and just less of a hassle to not worry about bringing/losing my cutter.