Home General Discussion

Legal Q&A

2»

Comments

• Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    TatuajeVI:
    One2gofst:
    However, individuals cannot send a handgun
    Actually, individuals can ship a handgun. Has to be overnight directly to an FFL, though. Shipping sure does hurt. Oh, and the "UPS Store" won't ship firearms at all, you have to go directly to a shipping hub to do it. Or FedEX will do it. FedEx really makes USPS and UPS look like morons. Imagine that - their tracking numbers are actually updated regularly!

+1. I've done this a number of times shipping my hand guns to Wilson combat to have them worked on
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 583
    Jetmech_63:
    TatuajeVI:
    One2gofst:
    However, individuals cannot send a handgun
    Actually, individuals can ship a handgun. Has to be overnight directly to an FFL, though. Shipping sure does hurt. Oh, and the "UPS Store" won't ship firearms at all, you have to go directly to a shipping hub to do it. Or FedEX will do it. FedEx really makes USPS and UPS look like morons. Imagine that - their tracking numbers are actually updated regularly!

+1. I've done this a number of times shipping my hand guns to Wilson combat to have them worked on
    You can send them directly to the manufacturer. However you cannot use USPS. It is clearly written in the law.

As an aside, the ATF just ruled that when receiving firearms back from a manufacturer you must now have it sent you your FFL and fill out a 4473 to get it back. No more is the mfr. allowed to ship the firearm back directly to its owner, which, IMO, is F'd up.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    As an aside, the ATF just ruled that when receiving firearms back from a manufacturer you must now have it sent you your FFL and fill out a 4473 to get it back. No more is the mfr. allowed to ship the firearm back directly to its owner, which, IMO, is F'd up.
    This one has been misreported and misinterpreted. It applies to gun writers and magazines and such who are getting guns shipped to them for reviews and such, basically making them observe the same restrictions that the rest of us have to deal with. Your repaired firearms can still be shipped back to you. We had some extensive threads on this one on a few of the gun boards, if I get a chance I'll find one of the links.
    zoom6zoom:
    This one has been misreported and misinterpreted. It applies to gun writers and magazines and such who are getting guns shipped to them for reviews and such, basically making them observe the same restrictions that the rest of us have to deal with. Your repaired firearms can still be shipped back to you. We had some extensive threads on this one on a few of the gun boards, if I get a chance I'll find one of the links.
    You are correct. My apologies

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=5866

That said, I stand by the fact that an non-FFL cannot use USPS to ship a handgun, over night or otherwise.
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 720
    One2gofst:
    Dunno. Do you have a link to the new law?
    My apologies for being late, I don't have internet on the weekend until about Oct. and it's been getting busier here at work, but I digress...

Here is a link to the main bulletin and here is one to the previous page.

I'm having trouble finding how the consumer can abide when it's an online purchase... It goes in to more depth and defines how the consumer cannot buy cigarettes/tobacco online, where "cigarettes/tobacco" excludes cigars. Also how the tax will increase for cigars by 86% of the MSRP...
    That is weird. I cannot make heads or tails of how it will work. Looks like your B&Ms will probably be affected. Ccom orders should be OK, but that is just a guess. Have you been into a B&M lately and checked out their prices on fast selling cigars?
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 720
    One2gofst:
    That is weird. I cannot make heads or tails of how it will work. Looks like your B&Ms will probably be affected. Ccom orders should be OK, but that is just a guess. Have you been into a B&M lately and checked out their prices on fast selling cigars?
    I've gone to a few here and there adn most of them couldn't afford the "floor tax" that is in place and will be closing down, it's sad. Most of their good stock had already sold, but I got 6 boxes of CAO Mx2 Daggers for wicked cheap, a handfull of their "house blend", and a whole slew of English pipe tobacco for next to nothing. The only store that's left that will stay in business that sells none Swisher/Phillies is a tinderbox.

But that's what I got out of it too, that it is mostly going to affect Licensed Retailers. IDK...