Home General Discussion

What size cigar works for you?

DHawkDHawk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 45
Just wondering what size cigar seems to be the best for your liking? I haven't tried to many sizes but the robusto usually works best for me as far as time goes. I don't usually have an unlimited amount of time to smoke and would be wasting to much of say a churchill.

Comments

• cholmes8310cholmes8310 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,585
    DHawk:
    Just wondering what size cigar seems to be the best for your liking? I haven't tried to many sizes but the robusto usually works best for me as far as time goes. I don't usually have an unlimited amount of time to smoke and would be wasting to much of say a churchill.
    Belicoso. 5.x56, same size as the Diesel. About an hour for me, and I love bigger ring guages.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    For me a ring gauge of at least 50, with a minimum length of 5". Most of the time a toro or torpedo works best for me. A robusto will work just fine though.
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,484
    Im a Robusto type of guy.......
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    I probably have about 70% Toro/Torpedo, 20% Robusto, and 10% Other. Prefer 50 ring and bigger.
  • DHawkDHawk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 45
    I too like the 50 ring better, just a "feel" thing I guess and I don't really understand the purpose of the Torpedo. Why make the ends pointed to start with?
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    The only real preference in regards to size for me is nothing really over a 54 ring gauge, of course there are exceptions, like the 5 Vegas Miami knuckle, but for the most part under a 54 ring is my only size preference. I love different cigars in different sizes, from lanceros/panatelas to double coronas...love smaller rings if they work with a particular blend.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    I smoke robustos a lot due to time restrictions, but I have taken the advice of many on this forum to check out the smaller ring gauges. I've really started to love coronas and pantellas and petite lanceros. 38-46 ring gauges seem to be my favorites of late.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,762
    Just like my favorite beer is the one that is open and in my hand, my favorite size cigar is the one that is lit and in my hand at the time. May not work for everyone but it works for me.
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    bandyt09:
    Just like my favorite beer is the one that is open and in my hand, my favorite size cigar is the one that is lit and in my hand at the time. May not work for everyone but it works for me.
    +1 I've smoked double toro's, presidente's, belisico's, Nub, I like whatever I light up. Gonna try the double happiness soon too without cutting them in half :P
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    I like larger ring gauges cause I tend to get a wider variety of flavors from the smoke.

• denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    depends on the stick for me. I like smaller ring gauges in LFD and Fuente. I like bigger rings in Alec Bradley. It just depends. I do tend to like longer sticks though, as I only smoke once a week any more.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    dennisking:
    depends on the stick for me.
    Nail
    head

...but generally speaking, i like a smaller ring. 41-48. Lancero, lonesdale, corona all are what I tend to seek out.
    any figurados are my favorite. im a huge fan of perfectos.
  • badge54fdbadge54fd Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 242
    I prefer a little bigger ring gauge myself. Robustos are my favorite in most brands.

I do like a good churchill too.

And then we have the Nub

And then........ dangit, I just love cigars... haha

• KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    I generally like the larger Rings. As for my favorite Vitola; it is a Perfecto. I would have to say there are mostly Robustos in my humi though.
  • Dark RoastDark Roast Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 463
    Robusto works just fine for me.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    Time is the biggest factor in selecting size..... Depends totally on how much time I have to smoke. If I have two hours, then a Double Toro is in order. If I have 30 mins, then a small 4 x 46 is appropriate.
  • turn_keyturn_key Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 90
    I tend to favor 50+/- and 5-6" but it depends on the stick. There are a few that I like so much that I wouldn't care what size they were.

The ring is important to me in that I prefer to punch instead of cut. Also I've got big hands and the smaller rings look like cigarettes...lol
  • sittingbullsittingbull Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 22
    Toro would be my favorite, then the robusto and if I have the time a churchill....don't want to feel like I am wasting a good cigar.....would be interested to know what would be a good 30-45 minute smoke...don't want to waste $$ on the little guys if they aren't worth it...suggestions please...
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    I'd have to say my favorite would have to be Churchill.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Definitely Churchill. Nice long smoke with a smaller (48) ring gauge. Perfect, if I have the time.
  • brotheradambrotheradam Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 896
    Usually Toro or Robusto
  • Poker SlobPoker Slob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 996
    I really enjoy Perfectos and Figurados. However, I mostly smoke Toros.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    I like Churchills, Lanceros, Lonsdales, and Coronas most. I prefer a longer stick with a ring in the mid to high 40s. My ideal perfect size cigar with be a 6.5x46 torpedo shape. If that exists, I'm unaware of it.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    I am a toro or robo man myself. Occasionally, I will partake in a torpedo.
  • coronaex30coronaex30 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 35
    i'm with you docb the smaller ring sizes are better IMO. people seem to like the fad of these huge cigars but not me either. you get much better flavors, the cigar may burn a little hotter but that is just the cigar telling you hey slow down take it easy Enjoy.
  • jship079jship079 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 621
    I too like the smaller ring gauges although I more recently moved in this direction maybe the last year or so before this I was more of a toro robusto type of guy but I like to try different types in the same line to see which one smokes best
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    I've found I really enjoy box-pressed, perfecto's, and anything 60 ring
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    I like the larger gauges; toro and churchill, mostly.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    I tend to like torpedo for some reason. Toro and churchill are great for me too. Robusto is ok.
  • babsdpubabsdpu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 143
    I'm a robusto guy, generally...must be my attention span. Belicoso is a nice alternative. I find myself struggling to find the time for anything larger.