Home General Discussion

insurance

bobdbobd Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 71

Well my wife did not mind me smoking cigars until we began to look at life and disability insurance.  Since the occasional cigar smoker is the same as a cigarette smoker in the insurance companies eyes you get screwed.  So now I get to hear about how bad my 1 cigar a week or less is bad for me and that I need to stop so we can get lower rates.

I'm sure some of you have had to deal with this, is there any companies that take the type of smoking into consideration?  How have you guys dealt with this issue.

Comments

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Simply checked the non smoker box.

• Dark RoastDark Roast Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 463
    Risky move. Insurance companies are ruthless and leave very little to chance when paying out claims. They always expect odds in their favor so be creful.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    insurance companies can lick a dead animals nut! just my .02...
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,585
    stephen_hannibal:

That's fine, until they have to pay and check. Tobacco will remain detectable in your cheek and gum cells for 6 months, so if they do a swab check, it's insurance fraud. At least, that's what my cigar smoking lawyer buddy told me when I asked him about just checking the non-smoker's box. My insurance is only $25 more a month for a smoker, so he asked if it was worth the risk? Not to me it wasn't.
  • Dark RoastDark Roast Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 463
    phobicsquirrel:
    +1
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 718
    Considering the number of doctors that I know who smoke cigars, I think that should count for something with the insurance companies.

bacon.jay:
    Considering the number of doctors that I know who smoke cigars, I think that should count for something with the insurance companies.

+1
    cholmes8310:
    stephen_hannibal:

That's fine, until they have to pay and check. Tobacco will remain detectable in your cheek and gum cells for 6 months, so if they do a swab check, it's insurance fraud. At least, that's what my cigar smoking lawyer buddy told me when I asked him about just checking the non-smoker's box. My insurance is only $25 more a month for a smoker, so he asked if it was worth the risk? Not to me it wasn't.

Oh ish.... going to call my rep monday. I can't not have insurance.

stephen_hannibal:
    cholmes8310:
    stephen_hannibal:

Haha. I'd double check that. Not sure if each company has their own policy. I do know for a fact that when my dad reapplied for life insurance after letting it lapse, they did do a swab test, and he failed. He'd been snuff free for 4 months, but not long enough obviously. They still detected it.
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 269
    I asked this question on another forum a while back when getting my insurance. The consensus was that if you don't smoke a cigar one to two weeks prior to the exam you should be OK. Whether or not that is medically correct i don't know, but it worked for me. didn't smoke for a week and a half took the test and non-smoker OKd. For whatever reason, mine was NOT an additional $25, but more like 25% more, guess it depends on the company.
    cholmes8310:
    stephen_hannibal:
    cholmes8310:
    stephen_hannibal:

Haha. I'd double check that. Not sure if each company has their own policy. I do know for a fact that when my dad reapplied for life insurance after letting it lapse, they did do a swab test, and he failed. He'd been snuff free for 4 months, but not long enough obviously. They still detected it.
    You know I have never had to do a test of any kind though... not even for my life insurance policy.

Stryker808:
    I asked this question on another forum a while back when getting my insurance. The consensus was that if you don't smoke a cigar one to two weeks prior to the exam you should be OK. Whether or not that is medically correct i don't know, but it worked for me. didn't smoke for a week and a half took the test and non-smoker OKd. For whatever reason, mine was NOT an additional $25, but more like 25% more, guess it depends on the company.
    This is where I wonder about the differing types of tobacco. I can SEE a dipper having it in his cells for 6 months, since it contains fiberglass and cuts into the skin. And cigarette smokers smoke much more often, so I can see it lingering. One to two per week cigar smokers I just don't see it. I just took the advice at face value. The minimal cost diff is neglible
    stephen_hannibal:
    cholmes8310:
    stephen_hannibal:
    cholmes8310:
    stephen_hannibal:

You know I have never had to do a test of any kind though... not even for my life insurance policy.

may be only if you were a tobacco user forever, then try and claim non-user, as he did? I don't konw. Insurance companies suck. too many dang rules/regs/etc.
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    Don't smoke for 2-3 weeks and you'll be fine. Also, many companies have cigar smoker rates which is a little higher than standard but much lower than smokers rates.
  • bobdbobd Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 71

I think the real problem lies in the fact that even if you are ok'd for nonsmoker and something happens to you and they find out then that you smoked you are screwed.

• KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    phobicsquirrel:
    Here. Here.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    shop around. a good agent will hook you up with a company that doesnt mind cigar smoking nearly as much.

my father-in-law does health, life, and disability so he and i are both on plans that dont mind it.
    they are out there. just shop.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    +2...they lie cheat and steal. Betting against us all the way.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Hawk55:
    +2...they lie cheat and steal. Betting against us all the way.
    i will try and refrain from explaining how insurance actually works because i know neither of you will listen.

...but if you hate your insurance so much, you are more than welcome to stop giving money to them and supporting their products.

• poypoykingpoypoyking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 55
    I don't agree exactly with what Hawk55 was saying, but the majority of Insurance companies seem to go out of their way to not have to pay. Especially health insurance. I have had a much better track record with auto and home insurance.
  • TheedgeTheedge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 316
    I'm trying to undestand why I don't just drop my insurance, and purchase it when I need it...isn't that how we work things now a day? The $695.00 fine is sure less than I pay now. I've heard they have to take it easy on you now too if you lie on your application. Obama rocks...
    poypoyking:
    I don't agree exactly with what Hawk55 was saying, but the majority of Insurance companies seem to go out of their way to not have to pay. Especially health insurance. I have had a much better track record with auto and home insurance.
    Very true because then they lose money. Auto/home Ins. is much more heavily regulated than health insurance, for sure. A have had my dealings with auto insurance and I can say it wasn't too bad but luckily mine was easy to work with unlike my friend's mothers insurance.
    Theedge:
    I'm trying to undestand why I don't just drop my insurance, and purchase it when I need it...isn't that how we work things now a day? The $695.00 fine is sure less than I pay now. I've heard they have to take it easy on you now too if you lie on your application. Obama rocks...
    695 fine? for auto?
  • TheedgeTheedge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 316
    I believe the $695.00 is a fine per year if you chose not to purchase health insurance. You know, the big new health insurance bs the government is pushing. If you google health insurance fine articles will pop up for you.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Auto/home Ins. is much more heavily regulated than health insurance, for sure.
    as far as the insurance itself goes? i doubt it. the health industry is the most regulated industry in our nation. there are no mandates that you have to cover this or that in auto or home insurance.

could you please back up this claim a bit or at least give me an idea where you got this idea?
  • zel02002zel02002 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1
    Check out www.leveltermdirect.com Cigar Smokers can get NON SMOKER rates on life insurance rates. This can save up to 70% from smoker rates. This is the easy way of solving that issue. GZ
  • sol1821sol1821 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 706
    could be worse, for me to get insured on a car over here is $4700 and thats only a small cheap old car, with 3rd party fire&theft cover, I've got no driving convictions or previous accidents.
  • RaschNutsRaschNuts Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 882
    i was lucky with my life insurance at work there was no medical exam up to 150K since im single and dont have a home its perfect. no worries about health issues and no questions. just sign.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    RaschNuts:
    i was lucky with my life insurance at work there was no medical exam up to 150K since im single and dont have a home its perfect. no worries about health issues and no questions. just sign.

i HAVE NEVER HAD TO TAKE A TEST FOR ANY INSURANCE.... I smoke a Native American Prayer Pipe Regularly... its not tobbaco but Red Willow Bark..... Its my religion....... These Facist Pig Insuarnace companys can suck on a stick of Dynamite! what a Trip...... I had years and Years of smoking Cigeretts,and All kinds of other STUFF ( if you know ehat I mean ) So Im f*%#^# know matter how you look at it!
  • jship079jship079 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 621
    Not to say your wrong but I would like to see a article to prove this.
    Tobacco will remain detectable in your cheek and gum cells for 6 months, so if they do a swab check, it's insurance fraud.
    Most insurance company's use cotinine levels in your urin which is what nicotine breaks down into whichs is only deteted for a couple days after you smoke