Home General Discussion

Hey Alex, what's the scoop with Padron right now??

bacon.jaybacon.jay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 718
It seems everywhere I've been while trying to find box-quantities of Padron's regular "Brown-Label" line is out of stock!

My local shop owner mentioned something about Padron's fiscal situation due to federal SCHIP regulations having something to do with it, and that they were even looking, albeit quietly, for a potential buyer?? Do you think that perhaps you could shed some light on the subject?

Does anybody else know anything about this? I really want to get my hands on a box of 2000s or 3000s right now and this actually has me a bit worried...

Comments

• RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    I just smoked one and it was delicous.... My B&M has a few Boxes of them.... Maybe there are too many different High end Smokes out there Killing the Line
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 410
    I emailed in 2 weeks ago and asked this question as well. Andy got back to me and just said they are having some issues with the manufacturer and they will hopefully have some in again. I was pretty dissapointed when I couldnt find these in a box to. Lets hope whoever needs to resolve whatever needs to be resolved gets it done soon so we can get some of these.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    bacon.jay:
    It seems everywhere I've been while trying to find box-quantities of Padron's regular "Brown-Label" line is out of stock!

My local shop owner mentioned something about Padron's fiscal situation due to federal SCHIP regulations having something to do with it, and that they were even looking, albeit quietly, for a potential buyer?? Do you think that perhaps you could shed some light on the subject?

Does anybody else know anything about this? I really want to get my hands on a box of 2000s or 3000s right now and this actually has me a bit worried...

Padron might be looking to sell?? Oh man, that's not good...I really enjoy their cigars. I hope this doesn't happen.
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    the reality of it is that when you have a solid product, but it's not diversified, you WILL run into trouble somewhere. don't worry, someone like JR will buy the company and keep some blends and ruin others but all under the same name and labels.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    dennisking:
    the reality of it is that when you have a solid product, but it's not diversified, you WILL run into trouble somewhere. don't worry, someone like JR will buy the company and keep some blends and ruin others but all under the same name and labels.
    Alright, everyone at Ccom should pitch in and buy the company.
    dennisking:
    This is exactly what I don't want to happen.
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 718
    Krieg:
    bacon.jay:

Padron might be looking to sell?? Oh man, that's not good...I really enjoy their cigars. I hope this doesn't happen.

According to my shop owner, what happened was that they had something like half a million cigars in storage/shipment when the federal SCHIP legislation went into effect, and that they had to write the feds a check to cover all of them. So, if you figure whatever the SCHIP tax percentage is for the probable cigars involved (their regular line isn't really the cheapest, and the '26 and '64 are high-dollar sticks), multiplied by 500K...

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    what shop was this?
  • Dude LoveDude Love Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 315
    I'm about to make a run on every B&M within 50 miles for Padrons. Must...stockpile.
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    My dad always told me if you don't have anything nice to say to not say anything at all. When it comes to Padron let's just say I have nothing to say.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,585
    Alex Svenson:
    My dad always told me if you don't have anything nice to say to not say anything at all. When it comes to Padron let's just say I have nothing to say.
    Well ok.. something tells me there's a good story here.
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,515
    Alex Svenson:
    Damn... Too bad I have never had a Padron! Really really kickin myself now.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    I've actually seen Alex say he isn't a Padron fan on here before. Huh. Eeeeeeeeeenteresting.
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    Alex Williams:
    Alex Svenson:
    You aren't missing anything in my opinion. I am not a Padron fan either. If I want a Padron, I will get a Nica Libre for a lot less and have, in my opinion, is a better tasting stick. Most Padrons have a heavy earth / musty taste that I don't care for, I prefer a little spice and fuller body
    Alex Svenson:
    Intresting...I really like the 64s and bought a box of Family Reserves 45...wonder what happened that pissed off alex so bad.
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,515
    dennisking:
    Alex Williams:
    Alex Svenson:
    You aren't missing anything in my opinion. I am not a Padron fan either. If I want a Padron, I will get a Nica Libre for a lot less and have, in my opinion, is a better tasting stick. Most Padrons have a heavy earth / musty taste that I don't care for, I prefer a little spice and fuller body
    well if they are truly comparable to nica libre than i dont think i would like em anyway. never did like the nica libres
  • Unthought_KnownUnthought_Known Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 454
    To me, a Padron is basically as good as it gets. Their anniversary cigars (1926, 1964) are truly elite, and their regular line (such as the 3000) is a fantastic cigar for the price.
  • jacketsrulejacketsrule Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 401
    They make excellent cigars, and I hope that continues. My B&M owner says He just got an order with no problems. He has not heard anything.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    In one of the catalogs Ccom printed Alex said that they are fairly 1 dimensional cigars.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Fourtotheflush:
    In one of the catalogs Ccom printed Alex said that they are fairly 1 dimensional cigars.
    one dimensional... maybe, but it is a good dimension imo
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    j0z3r:
    Fourtotheflush:
    Exactly! Cigarobsession did a review of the Padron Delicias Maduro, he said the same thing: a bit one dimensional, but he liked the dimension! The 1964 maduro (I'm in love with it) is far from one dimensional, btw.
    TatuajeVI:
    j0z3r:
    Fourtotheflush:
    Exactly! Cigarobsession did a review of the Padron Delicias Maduro, he said the same thing: a bit one dimensional, but he liked the dimension! The 1964 maduro (I'm in love with it) is far from one dimensional, btw.
    Haven't tried the '64 maduro yet, but that's been my experience with the natural. Damn fine cigar.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    j0z3r:
    TatuajeVI:
    j0z3r:
    Fourtotheflush:
    Haven't tried the '64 maduro yet, but that's been my experience with the natural. Damn fine cigar.

I cut my teeth on the 3000 - really liked them! Havent had one in a few years.

• 24footjet24footjet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 132
    I don't think Padrons are anything like the Nica Libre. The 64 is one of the best cigars I've ever had. I've had one bad padron... tasted like a cat peed on it, but every other one has been fantastic.
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    I will be the first to say that when it comes to Padron I am absolutely biased. Form your own opinions. They make a great cigar but I am so biased personally I would not know.
    Fourtotheflush:
    j0z3r:
    TatuajeVI:
    j0z3r:
    Fourtotheflush:

My intro was the 2000 natural, that got me started and the 3000 got me hooked, I fell right in love with that cigar. You won't find me with less than half a box at any given time.
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    I have only smoked one Padron and I added it to the taste like goat's a$$ thread. It was the worst cigar I have ever smoked and made me feel like I was licking the inside of a dirty ashtray. Now I have only had one and plan on trying some of their others and maybe re-evaluate my position. I am pretty sure the one I had was a 2000. It was a brown label in a robusto size. Needless to say I won't be going out to stock up on these.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    Fourtotheflush:
    j0z3r:
    TatuajeVI:
    j0z3r:
    Fourtotheflush:

Ditto, in all respects. The first box of cigars I ever bought was either Padron 3000s or Hemingways. I can't quite remember.
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 718
    I love the Padrons, I really want a box of the 2000 or 3000. Also Kuzi you have a PM.

• Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    Padron 1964 maduro is one of my fav. sticks. Little one sided, ehhh maybe, maybe not. I think that is up to the individual and their tastes. I've got half a box because I like them so much.

Tried the 80th anny and it tasted like ammonia. Had to put her out it was sooo bad. It needed more time but I was excited to try it. I've got another resting and it will stay there for a good long while. What I could get from the cigar was that it had potential to be great, but that is TBD at a later time.

While I like the Nica Libre it doesn't really remind me so much of the Padrons. Maybe a little but it is much lighter in body and doesn't taste the same to me. Of course I always have these on hand and love to smoke them while I am driving because of their great burn and flavor.