Home General Discussion

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    jj20030:
    jgibv:
    jj20030:
    i liked the sumatra , that has a different wrapper than i seen>> http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=885
    Thanks for the info, JJ....I usually like Sumatras but this was nothing like anything I've had before (and not in a good way).
    I picked this up on a whim at the B&M and am thinking maybe it's a couple years old. Looks like this is the old wrapper? ---- http://mattscigar.com/2009/05/28/ambos-mundos-by-tatuaje/
    the write up says the creme colored band is a habano? >>

I smoked the Habano wrapped version with the creme colored band first. Both of the samples I tried were Robustos. The Habano is a Nicaraguan Puro. I have to say, I found this cigar to be nearly unsmokable. It was sour and bitter and very unpleasant. I did my best to try and smoke the whole thing but a little more than halfway through I had to give up on it. This is the first cigar I have tried that is made by Pepin Garcia that I thought was a bad cigar. I find it hard to believe that anything about this smoke is at all related to the Tatuajes I love so much. Maybe it really does need to be aged some but I am not sure how much help that would be to this cigar. To truly age it in any meaningful way means you need to set them down for at least a year, closer to two years probably. Anything less isn’t aging, it is merely acclimation to your humidor. Plus, like I said, who wants to age a $5 economy smoke. The humidor real estate is too valuable and better used aging a box of quality top shelf cigars. As it is today, I have to give this cigar an F.

Next up is the Sumatran which sports the dark red band. Wow what a difference a wrapper can make on a cigar. This was a much better experience. Still not what I would call a good smoke, at least this one was enjoyable enough to smoke the entire cigar. I could see the potential for this one to become a fairly decent smoke if it were allowed to age. It had a spicy bite with an earthy core complimented by notes of cedar and flashes of coffee. There were still occasional hits of sour flavors but it was not nearly as harsh and bitter as the Habano. Because of the potential I can see for this cigar to get at least a little better I can rate this version of the Ambos Mundos as a C.

i rember the sumatra i smoked well and liked it and ordered 5 more
    Yeah (smacks forehead)....I read the review after I posted the link.
    That explains why it didn't remind me of a Sumatra at all.....and I guess it's good to know this guy had problems with it too, that pretty much rules out the possibility of this being an anomaly as 1 lone, bad single.

I'll give the Sumatras a shot though.....it certainly can't be any worse than this one LOL
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    jgibv:
    jj20030:
    jgibv:
    jj20030:
    i liked the sumatra , that has a different wrapper than i seen>> http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=885
    Thanks for the info, JJ....I usually like Sumatras but this was nothing like anything I've had before (and not in a good way).
    I picked this up on a whim at the B&M and am thinking maybe it's a couple years old. Looks like this is the old wrapper? ---- http://mattscigar.com/2009/05/28/ambos-mundos-by-tatuaje/
    the write up says the creme colored band is a habano? >>

I smoked the Habano wrapped version with the creme colored band first. Both of the samples I tried were Robustos. The Habano is a Nicaraguan Puro. I have to say, I found this cigar to be nearly unsmokable. It was sour and bitter and very unpleasant. I did my best to try and smoke the whole thing but a little more than halfway through I had to give up on it. This is the first cigar I have tried that is made by Pepin Garcia that I thought was a bad cigar. I find it hard to believe that anything about this smoke is at all related to the Tatuajes I love so much. Maybe it really does need to be aged some but I am not sure how much help that would be to this cigar. To truly age it in any meaningful way means you need to set them down for at least a year, closer to two years probably. Anything less isn’t aging, it is merely acclimation to your humidor. Plus, like I said, who wants to age a $5 economy smoke. The humidor real estate is too valuable and better used aging a box of quality top shelf cigars. As it is today, I have to give this cigar an F.

Next up is the Sumatran which sports the dark red band. Wow what a difference a wrapper can make on a cigar. This was a much better experience. Still not what I would call a good smoke, at least this one was enjoyable enough to smoke the entire cigar. I could see the potential for this one to become a fairly decent smoke if it were allowed to age. It had a spicy bite with an earthy core complimented by notes of cedar and flashes of coffee. There were still occasional hits of sour flavors but it was not nearly as harsh and bitter as the Habano. Because of the potential I can see for this cigar to get at least a little better I can rate this version of the Ambos Mundos as a C.

i rember the sumatra i smoked well and liked it and ordered 5 more
    Yeah (smacks forehead)....I read the review after I posted the link.
    That explains why it didn't remind me of a Sumatra at all.....and I guess it's good to know this guy had problems with it too, that pretty much rules out the possibility of this being an anomaly as 1 lone, bad single.

I'll give the Sumatras a shot though.....it certainly can't be any worse than this one LOL
    ill dig one out tomorrow for tomorrow nights smoke and let you know how it does, but i remember when i ask a rep. about the line they recommended the sumatra and not the habano
    jj20030:
    ill dig one out tomorrow for tomorrow nights smoke and let you know how it does, but i remember when i ask a rep. about the line they recommended the sumatra and not the habano
    Sound good, I look forward to your thoughts on it...that's what I get for trying new things at the B&M without reading reviews or talking to the owner first.
    The B&M owner wasn't there that day too so that didn't help me since I usually ask his opinion on new-to-me cigars and he's pretty reliable with his recommendations.....lesson learned
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    San Cristobal torp
  • rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    Opus X - The Lost City Pyramid
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    Carlos Torano Exodus Gold
  • lonewolf2011lonewolf2011 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 503
  • chemforeverchemforever Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,200
    Johnny o. Thanks catfish!
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    chemforever:
    I am assuming the darker one? It should be very different than the mag47. Hope you liked it bro. Me...I went back to old faithful RP 90 churchill which is a personal favorite. image
  • Medic45Medic45 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,886
    My first Cain Strait Ligero Torp. Very nice flavor..
  • jliujliu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,055
    I had a My Father Cedros Deluxe Longsdale. After that, had a Drakes IPA. Tuesday night was a good night indeed.
    catfishbluezz:
    chemforever:
    I am assuming the darker one? It should be very different than the mag47. Hope you liked it bro. Me...I went back to old faithful RP 90 churchill which is a personal favorite. image
    Haven't had that one oddly don't even own one, had a 1999 which is a commie and it didn't wow me a few months back.
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,036
    Super shot 10 gauge Thx catfish...
    was going to smoke a ambos mundos sumtra but didnt find it,lol, so going to try one of the replacment la reloba sumatra torps. my father sent me
  • Rail JockeyRail Jockey Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 758
    First one of these. Its nothing fancy, but just a nice cigar. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Rail Jockey:
    First one of these. Its nothing fancy, but just a nice cigar. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    sumatra or maduro, i prefer the maduro
  • big chunksbig chunks Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,607
    Jaime Garcia limited edition 2011
  • asianbiker8asianbiker8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 551
    Sitting here with a padilla Artemis while the wife attempts to smoke her new hookah
    jj20030:
    was going to smoke a ambos mundos sumtra but didnt find it,lol, so going to try one of the replacment la reloba sumatra torps. my father sent me
    LOL - let me know if you end up finding an AM Sumatra and how it is
    jgibv:
    jj20030:
    roger that and btw this la reloba is great, cant wait till i age the rest
    jj20030:
    Rail Jockey:
    sumatra or maduro, i prefer the maduro
    Maduro
    big chunks:
    Jaime Garcia limited edition 2011
    It is pretty good? I have one resting peacefully.
    jj20030:
    jgibv:
    jj20030:
    roger that and btw this la reloba is great, cant wait till i age the rest
    Thanks for the heads up, I haven't had that one yet....I'll look for it next time at the B&M or see about adding a few to my next CCOM order
  • Beavr81Beavr81 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 21
    Nothing like sitting on the porch listening to the ball game and smoking one of my favorites.... My Uzi 6x60.... oh yeah now this is a great night off....
  • sierrawestsierrawest Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 50
    75 degrees, cool breeze, frogs croaking in the background, Springtime evening in Mississippi made perfect with an awesome Oliva V courtesy of danielzreyes and SleevePlz... Thanks bros!
  • SporusSporus Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 236
    90+ Irishman mentioned something to me about Avo the other day. Since then I've had Avo on the brain. Glad I still have one of these things around

Sporus:
    90+ Irishman mentioned something to me about Avo the other day. Since then I've had Avo on the brain. Glad I still have one of these things around

wow she looks like a beauty!
  • SporusSporus Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 236
    chemforever:
    Sporus:

wow she looks like a beauty!
    She is! Except she's ashed on my layup twice!