Home General Discussion

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    sdip:

The DPG was good,  but I thought it would be better. Heard great things about the Graycliff - look forward to trying.

Speaking of, check your inbox for tracking info. (I'm not sure there's a Graycliff in your package, though, now that I think of it. I packed it last week, along with a couple others, and now I can't remember who got what.)
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    This morning I found a Hemingway Signature in my humidor and decided to take it for a ride... It waited for me all day at work, while that was a long eight hours I was rewarded during the ride home.. This perfecto was outstanding.. flavor, nice burn, construction, aroma, this cigar has it all.. it took about an hour but thankfully traffic was slow... When I have a cigar like the Signature I will take the long way home..
    It's nice to stumble across something like that hiding in your humidor, isn't it? Glad you enjoyed it. I was just thinking this might be the night for me to have another Classic and see if it burns better than the last one did.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    I grabbed one of my beloved Rodriquez fresh-rolled cigars for a pleasantly mild afternoon. As I've come to expect, it was good... well, until I had to go and ruin it that is. This was the first cigar in a while that I have smoked fast, and it did not respond well at all, smoke became bitter and acrid. As if that wasn't bad enough, I had to go and make it worse, attempting to cut it and relight it ( I don't know what i was thinking, so don't ask) at which point I destroyed the wrapper and was met with a downright putrid flavor, then I pitched it. A shame really, its a good cigar and I just screwed the pooch on this one.
    I do believe that sounds like a plan..Hope this one works out in your favor.. You will have to post a revision on your log if it does.. I would hate to see them damned for all time....And the Signature, , well I knew it was there I hid it from myself but could not talk myself out of it this time.. Yumm..
  • sdipsdip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    For me it was a Bolivar toro tonight. Liked it, but the draw was a little tight.
    sdip:
    For me it was a Bolivar toro tonight. Liked it, but the draw was a little tight.
    I know what you mean.. the cigar was tasty enough but I really like a lot more volume of smoke than these provided.. This is a good one when you are around non-cigar smokers you know when they start that fake cough and waving their arms around.. this cigar is discreet..
    kaspera79:
    I do believe that sounds like a plan..Hope this one works out in your favor.. You will have to post a revision on your log if it does.. I would hate to see them damned for all time....And the Signature, , well I knew it was there I hid it from myself but could not talk myself out of it this time.. Yumm..
    Yeah, I'll revisit reviews when I have another of that cigar that changes my opinion. Haven't decided if I'll do that by editing the existing review, or by posting an update, but I'll figger something out.
    kaspera79:
    This is a good one when you are around non-cigar smokers you know when they start that fake cough and waving their arms around.
    “The worst kind of non-smokers are the ones that come up to you and cough. That's pretty f**king cruel isn't it? Do you go up to cripples and dance too?” - Bill Hicks

Had a rare two cigar day today, probably in an effort to make up for the lackluster afternoon encounter. Anyhoo, had myself a 5 Vegas Limitada 2006. The smoke was good with a but.... the but being that the cigar had major issues, for starters it did not burn evenly which is not so bad, but then it became choked due to a plug which I was able to massage out. Finally, the damn thing tunneled on me like a ***, twice. So, a good smoke and one faulty cigar. Oh woe is me.

Joe

edit: apparently the B A S T A R D word in censored.... didn't really think that was a swear word. Hmm.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    Currently while the girlfriend is at Summerfest I am enjoying a Rocky Patel Vengeance. Pre-light was very chocalate and cream and during the first inch very creamy and slight spice. Not bad for a hidden gem I got in a multi pack!
    urbino:
    kaspera79:
    Yeah, I'll revisit reviews when I have another of that cigar that changes my opinion. Haven't decided if I'll do that by editing the existing review, or by posting an update, but I'll figger something out.
    Ahhhhhh. That was much better than the Classic I had a couple weeks ago. That's the Hemingway I remember from days of yore. Excellent stuff.
    Hey urbino, glad you had a good one.. I had a Bauza by Fuentes today.. I picked up a box in april and had the first one today. Very nice. A long time ago a smoker friend of mine told me about these and they have turned into one of my favorites..I try to keep them on hand all the time and this box should get some age time since I have acquired so many more cigars in the past couple months..I don't think I'll ever run out.. Good problem to have..
    No doubt. I've never had a Bauza. I'll add that to my list of things to include on my next order of fivers. Thanks!
    I tried a Gurkha Centurion tonight. It was not bad, however, I'm not wowed with it. I bought the six pack special that ccom has been offering recently, so they were $5 a stick, and I don't think I'd be inclined to pay much more than that, and certainly not the standard retail price. Perhaps with a bit of resting they will get better, as I did smoke this one pretty much fresh off the doorstep, so I will give the rest some time before I light up another. For now, 7.8/10, but we'll see what some time can do. All told, the flavors were not bad just somewhat weak in my opinion , though I will say it was a smooth smoke. Smoking time was roughly 90 minutes.

Joe.
    That was pretty much my experience with it, too, Joe. The rest of mine will sit in the humi for a while, too, but my hopes aren't very high. As I understand it, cigars usually mellow with age, not intensify.
    I don't have a problem with a mellow cigar, my hopes for this particular one would be that the flavors marry a bit more and create an overall smooth smoking, flavorful cigar, not necessarily an intense one. We shall see though.
    Right. The flavor was what I meant. I thought that usually mellowed rather than intensifying. So while the flavors present might marry with time, there's not going to be any more flavor; if anything, less.
    Tonight was a Sancho Panza Extra Fuerte Pampalona. Really good smoke, liked it a great deal. I have had a few of these now and they have been consistently good.
    I just had an Oliva Serie V. Unfortunately, the worst cigar I can remember smoking.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    urbino:
    I just had an Oliva Serie V. Unfortunately, the worst cigar I can remember smoking.
    WOW! Thats the first time I've heard anything close to that bad about an Oliva. I hope you reviewed this one I wanna see that.
  • pilot711pilot711 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 176
    About to head to the airport to work for several days. Sitting outside first enjoying a Ashton VSG. Very good smoke!
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 930
    Enjoying a post-lunch Carlos Torano Casa Torano.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    I just had a lunchtime RP Vintage 1992 mini perfecto (I dont' know the actual name but its a min perfecto lol). I will have to say it wasn't that great to be honest.
    Pilot. always nice for you to layover for a few posts.. have a good one.
    urbino:
    Right. The flavor was what I meant. I thought that usually mellowed rather than intensifying. So while the flavors present might marry with time, there's not going to be any more flavor; if anything, less.
    Yeah, what I was getting at was just an overall more balanced cigar, as anyone can tell you that you usually can't get more out of something than you put into it initially. So, I guess rather than more flavor, it would just be more pleasant. Something along those lines anyway.
    Right. Now I get you. My own problem with the Centurian, though, wasn't its lack of balance, but its lack of flavor.
    Yeah there is that... I find myself in the unenviable position of the eternal optimist with these things. I just keep hoping it will get better even if know in the back of my mind that it probably won't.
    I'm not much of an optimist, but I do hope the other 5 I've got are better than the first one.
    I'm up in Seattle and took a walk around downtown with a Perdomo Lot 23. First one for me and I really enjoyed. Thought it was relatively complex with a great draw and burn. Will be doing this one again.
    Did you get a package from me today, sdip? (Yeah, yeah, I could track it on FedEx, but I'm lazy and you're right here.)