Home General Discussion

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Biggin:
    My local store does not have the 5 Vegas line at the moment, but they are apparently working on it.  Hit me with some more suggestions, please.  Hopefully, one of them will pan out.
    Hmm...how about a CAO CX2, it is the one CAO cigar I like. Cusano 18 Double Connecticut is good and a decent price. Oliva Serie G cameroon or maduro, Serie O natural or maduro, both a very good in my opinion in either flavor of wrapper. Those're some I can think of, they won't hurt your wallet and offer up a good bang for your buck...they aren't strong enough to make you nauseous either.

Today I had a Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet toro, as always a very good smoke. Just finished up with a CAO CX2 toro, I still like this one, so it is the lone holdout for CAO cigars that I like.
  • BigginBiggin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 52
    I recognize some of those names.  Surely, I will be able to find one of those.  Thank you very much for the suggestions.
  • sdipsdip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    Started out w an Oliva G - great smoke! Next up was a Excaliber Legend. Finished the night w a Cugine Torpedo I got at a pre-release event at my local B&M. Draw was tight, not sure on this one. Will need to try another and see what I think.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    I had a gurkha holy grail and micro batch c-10. both I thought were good. the holy grail had a loose very easy, almost too easy of a draw; had to slow the puffing down. it burned even and had a nice flavor through the nose and left a decent after taste. The c-10 was a little better, maybe because it had more of a creamy flavor and it had a tighter draw, almost too tight but I just pulled some obstructions away from my hole that the punch left and it was perfect. It was a slower burn than the grail.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    phobicsquirrel:
    the holy girl was loose and very easy, almost too easy
    ...I had heard that about religious girls.
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:
    the holy girl was loose and very easy, almost too easy
    ...I had heard that about religious girls.
    lol
    rwheelwright:
    I just got in 2 RP Summers so I am going to smoke one in a little while. I placed a small order two days ago. I got myself a 5 Pack of each Gurkha Micro Blend, a 5 pack of the Limitada 2009 and a 5 Pack of the Indian Tabac Split Decision Triple. I want to get myself a 5 pakc of the Triple fusion but I have to get it in a pack with the fusion and fusion MM so I may get them and just give some of the others to my friends. Also got a RP Renn Robusto too. Haven't had that size yet. I forget what the Renn tastes like.

My cousin just invited me to an event at a B&M near him in Lafeyette Village, NJ. I think he said it is a CAO event but I'm not sure. It's Friday night. Plus, he invited me to some dinner in Oak Ridge on June 9th. Supposed to be $100 a ticket. OUCH MAN!
    the IT split's aren't that bad. I enjoyed the 2 and have 2 triple's. I need to light one of them up. I'm a sucker for barber poles (cigars that is).
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 930
    My buddy wanted to go to the B&M today, and since I'm broke, he bought me an Oliva O. Really nice smoke, better than the last one I had. I capped off my day with a Don Pepin Garcia Blue. Not a bad stick, but it wasn't really anything special to me.
  • HugemooseHugemoose Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 458
    Had an Oliva G maduro again tonight. I am liking these more as I smoke them. But I think my humidity has been a bit high.....had a hard time keeping it lit.

Once I get my new humidor in I have to get a hold of some of those beads or Boveda packs to keep it a little more steady.
  • tshawtshaw Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 178
    tried another acid...a nasty...it was true to its name I must say. I think im going to stick to normal sticks and every once in awhile pick up a kuba kuba to mix things up
    Alright, j0z3r, I smoked the Oliva G Cameroon tonight.  I wasn't sure about it after taking a whiff of it unlit.  Seemed a little...pungent.  Pretty good  smoke, though, and it was much more mellow than I anticipated.

I also picked up the Oliva G Maduro, Oliva O Cameroon, and the Oliva O Maduro while I was at the shop.  I guess I'll be smoking those on subsequent nights if the weather permits. 

Thanks again for the suggestions.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    Biggin:
    Alright, j0z3r, I smoked the Oliva G Cameroon tonight.  I wasn't sure about it after taking a whiff of it unlit.  Seemed a little...pungent.  Pretty good  smoke, though, and it was much more mellow than I anticipated.

I also picked up the Oliva G Maduro, Oliva O Cameroon, and the Oliva O Maduro while I was at the shop.  I guess I'll be smoking those on subsequent nights if the weather permits. 

Thanks again for the suggestions.
    The Oliva line has some great smokes. I think the Serie V is an awesome smoke. It's a buck or two more expensive, but an awesome smoke with lots of flavor. I would also suggest trying an Onyx Reserve. That is a great budget cigar with awesome flavor. Some of my other top suggestions would be Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet, Arturo Fuente Hemmingway, Rocky Patel Vintage 92, Rocky Patel Sungrown, the Rocky Patel Decade if you wanna spend a few extra dollars, and the ITC 10th is a great full flavored but medium bodied smoke. Those are all good smokes that won't put ya down too bad. If you want something more full go with the La Flor Dominica Double Ligero!
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    phobicsquirrel:
    I'm a sucker for poles (cigars that is).
    Sorry, I couldn't resist! :-)

So, yesterday I had a a RP Summer 2008. Wasn't thrilled with it. It kind of a fishy smell when taking a puff. It was very faint. Almost reminded me of being in the Costco Tire section and the overwhelming smell of tire rubber which is also a bit fishy. It started to get a little better near the end. Last night I had the Limitada 2009 last night. I think it is a little stronger that I like. It started to get better around the second half but I had to put it out. I kept it in a tube in case I want to re-lit it but for now I have other things to try. This one also had a few construction and burn problems. WOuld not stay lit, the wrapper would stop burning and only the filler would burn and when I cut it, the wrapper was starting to unwrap.
    I'm smoking a Hemingway right now. I had forgotten how good these were. Everything about this thing is perfect right now. Next to the Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet, this is the best cigar I've had in a few days.
    Matt Marvel:
    I'm smoking a Hemingway right now. I had forgotten how good these were. Everything about this thing is perfect right now. Next to the Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet, this is the best cigar I've had in a few days.
    Oh man the Hemmingway is awesome! So is the Sol Cubano Cuban Cab! These are two of my all time favorites!
    PuroFreak:
    Matt Marvel:
    Oh man the Hemmingway is awesome! So is the Sol Cubano Cuban Cab! These are two of my all time favorites!
    The Cuban Cab moved up my list pretty fast. I was wanting to try it, and got lucky with the toro sampler ccom had last a couple of weeks ago. That was really the main reason I bought it. I'm glad I did, because it was really good. I'm looking to pick up quite a few more here soon. I really need to keep some Hemingways in stock too. I've been so busy trying new sticks, but I'm pretty much set on what I like now.
    Today, in celebration of my acceptance into GMU school of engineering and information technology, I will be smoking my don carlos aniversario AND my opus x A. Very good day
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    Well, yesterday didn't go exactly as planned. I did get the Stradivarius in, which is good, but wasn't able to get the Anejo in. Oh well, I guess I'll have to smoke it this weekend, when I know I won't get interupted. It seems like every time I lit up the past couple of days something came up.

The Stradivarius was an awesome smoke though, and packed a bit more punch than I was expecting. The burn started off very jagged, but it corrected itself and remained perfect after about a half inch in. The taste was awesome, and although I don't know if I would pay MSRP for another one, if I found a deal on 'em for around $10 or so, I would definately pick a few up.

I started this morning off with a Cruz Real, another of RP's lesser known blends. I really didn't expect much out of it (I picked it in case I got interupted again, figured I wouldn't mind tossing it, lol). It really suprised me though, very good cigar. I have one more Nicarao and one more of the Cruz Reals, need to smoke them close together to see which I prefer.
    tshaw:
    Today, in celebration of my acceptance into GMU school of engineering and information technology, I will be smoking my don carlos aniversario AND my opus x A. Very good day
    Well congrats! Glad to hear of your good fortune and hope you enjoy the smokes!
    thank u kindly sir. I am sitting outside right now in very nice temps enjoying a few Long hammers and the don carlos as i type
    Matt Marvel:
    PuroFreak:
    Matt Marvel:
    The Cuban Cab moved up my list pretty fast. I was wanting to try it, and got lucky with the toro sampler ccom had last a couple of weeks ago. That was really the main reason I bought it. I'm glad I did, because it was really good. I'm looking to pick up quite a few more here soon. I really need to keep some Hemingways in stock too. I've been so busy trying new sticks, but I'm pretty much set on what I like now.
    I'm going to have a smoke or two tonight just not sure what I'll have yet. I won't probably have time to smoke more than one because I gotta get to bed so I can be back up for work at 3am tomorrow, but I am damn sure gonna have a cigar tonight!
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    PuroFreak:
    Matt Marvel:
    PuroFreak:
    Matt Marvel:
    I'm going to have a smoke or two tonight just not sure what I'll have yet. I won't probably have time to smoke more than one because I gotta get to bed so I can be back up for work at 3am tomorrow, but I am damn sure gonna have a cigar tonight!

3 fricken' a.m. ....you know all self-respecting criminals are in the bed at that hour Puro ...YOUR SNEAKING OUT FOR A DAMN SMOKE !!!
  • BeagronomisBeagronomis Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 22
    Well its good to hear most enjoy the Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet seeing as ive never tried the brand. I as well bought the toro gift set. I had no idea what kind of cigars I was getting, after seeing that price my finger just hit the order button before I got three words read!
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    Nub Conn today ...very good ...seemed alot smoother and creamier than the last one I had ...not much diff in time in humi ...maybe 2 weeks hmmmm
  • TizzleTizzle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 13
    gmill880:
    Nub Conn today ...very good ...seemed alot smoother and creamier than the last one I had ...not much diff in time in humi ...maybe 2 weeks hmmmm

Can't wait to try those! Tonight I'm tryin one more out of  a Cuban Crafters sampler I got.... Don Kiki black label..... so far the other 3 sticks I've smoked out of this box have been flat out TERRIBLE!!! not even worth posting about... From now on I'm sticking to my local smoke shop or Cigar.com to purchase my sticks.... cubancrafters.com sent me some horrible sticks.... nice Humi though.....Rookie mistake I guess..... learning from experience....

Put in an order today and you can bet I picked up a box of Connie Nub's..... really excited about them! Happy smoking everyone.... GO LAKERS!!
  • sdipsdip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406

Began the day w a Blue Label corona. Better than what I remember, but not something I would buy again. Next up was a Legends Maroon. Finished the night w a RP Sungrown toro. Almost a 2 hour smoke - very flavorful.

• hawaiianbasshawaiianbass Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 123
    I tried an A. Fernandez churchill this evening. My nose was a little stuffed up so I couldn't get all the nuances but what i was getting was very good.

CK
    I tried an Oliva Serie G Maduro tonight.  Very strange experience.  I loved the flavors, but the cigar burned horribly.  I didn't even make it through the whole cigar.  It was to frustrating to be as enjoyable as it should have been.  Oh, well.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    Had an Oliva O maduro earlier. Not bad at all, but I prefer the O in natural.
  • HugemooseHugemoose Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 458
    It was my birthday today so I just had another Oliva G maduro while my roommate smoked one of his CAO Italia's and we watched Gangs of New York. I thought about having the Oliva conn. but decided to save that for later.

Next week I should be getting a nice variety pack of RP in the mail. It will include some Vintage (90 and 92), Old World Reserve, Edge, and Conn.. Cannot wait to try some new stuff out.