Home General Discussion

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    alienmisprint:
    rwheelwright:
    Seems like everyone is having a Gurkha night.
    Me too, had a Nepalese Warrior. I am/was a little (lottle) bit drunk, but I enjoyed it. I am prety sure I like the regular regent better, but I would have to try one of thses sober to be 100%. I did have to make a few corrective lights though, other than that it was an enjoyable stick though.
    hmm, I have a few that I've been eying, I'll need to give one a try soon.
  • JdoraisJdorais Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 653
    Well funny you should ask. I'm planning on enjoying the '90 this evening.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    Jdorais:
    In my opinion you smoked the better of the two already. I like the flavor profile of the 92 better but both are great smokes. The 92 just seems a bit more complex usually. It has some nice hints of what I would call sweet tea. I think it's a great smoke and primarily due to the Equadoian Sumatra Wrapper.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    PuroFreak:
    Jdorais:
    In my opinion you smoked the better of the two already. I like the flavor profile of the 92 better but both are great smokes. The 92 just seems a bit more complex usually. It has some nice hints of what I would call sweet tea. I think it's a great smoke and primarily due to the Equadoian Sumatra Wrapper.
    And I am with Puro on the '92.. for the very same reason Equa/Suma. Oh Yeah ! It's amazing what One single leaf of tobacco can do to a cigar.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    Just finished a Natural Irish Hops. I know there aren't alot of fans of infused sticks around here, but the Natural line is so much better than the Acid line it is unreal. I love the Irish Hops for a morning smoke, it's like smoking a bowl of coco puffs, lol.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    Well in about 30 minutes I start my 3 day weekend so hopefully I'll be able to get some smoking in since the weather is supposed to be nice the next few days. I'm not sure what I will be smoking but I can see an oliva Serie G Maduro in my near future... It's been a while since I've had the G Maduro and that sounds really good right now. I may have one of those tonight...
  • gaberoxgaberox Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 824
    Started today with a Ghurka Gangas Kahn.Decent flavor but what a horrible experience.Severe burn issues,took many touch ups.This cigar also has a crazy loose ash.Wrapper even cracked in a spot half way through.Decent draw though.I love the ancient warrior but probably wont try this one again.Next Ghurka will be a g5 for me.

Followed that up with an Ashton aged maduro 50.Much better smoke.Good burn,perfect draw, nice and smooth. A little mild for a muduro but good flavor.Going to smoke another tonight at the cigar bar with the girlfriend.Not sure what to pick out though.Any suggestions?

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    gaberox:
    Started today with a Ghurka Gangas Kahn.Decent flavor but what a horrible experience.Severe burn issues,took many touch ups.This cigar also has a crazy loose ash.Wrapper even cracked in a spot half way through.Decent draw though.I love the ancient warrior but probably wont try this one again.Next Ghurka will be a g5 for me.

Followed that up with an Ashton aged maduro 50.Much better smoke.Good burn,perfect draw, nice and smooth. A little mild for a muduro but good flavor.Going to smoke another tonight at the cigar bar with the girlfriend.Not sure what to pick out though.Any suggestions?

Haven't had the g5, I really didn't like the g3 but I look forward to hearing what you say about the 5. I have yet to have the kahn, though I have 2 sitting. sorry that you had a bad experience.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    That experience with the Genghis Khan couldn't be any different that my experience with it...minimal burn corrections, perfect draw and tight ash, flawless construction with no cracks. Did you have the toro or the presidente? I've heard the toro has sloppy construction.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    That's because the toros are rolled by actual bulls.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    it was a sunny day here in western PA (not really sunny, but nice), so I celebrated with a RP sun grown and a vigilante sungrown I got from COTM. Both were nice, man the RP sun grown has some full on pepper flavor to it.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    nothing yesterday or today ....maybe Sunday I'll have time
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    Well, lets backfill here. On the ship i had a RP Edge(stout cigar, great flavor, spicy as hell the first inch, mellowed out thereafter), RP 90&92, AF Hemingway Short Story(Holy crap what a great little smoke, lasted over 30 minutes), AF Don Carlos(Had a real nice natural sweetness), Punch(decent....punch is punch), Onyx(tasty as always), Olive O Maduro(good maduro flavor but...i like the G Maduro better), Bahia Blu(woof, deep sixed it after an inch and smoked a bolivar to get the taste outta my mouth) and a 5 Vegas "A", Cask Strength and Classic(The more i smoke 5 vegas the more i like them). That about sums up the last 28 days or so.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    You had some good ones, Jet.

I had a Cusano 18 Paired Maduro and a Camacho Havana; two tasty little smokes that hit the spot.
    j0z3r:
    That experience with the Genghis Khan couldn't be any different that my experience with it...minimal burn corrections, perfect draw and tight ash, flawless construction with no cracks. Did you have the toro or the presidente? I've heard the toro has sloppy construction.

It was the 6x52.I felt like maybe I just got a bad one out of the box.Who knows what went wrong with that stick ha ha.On a better night finished off with a triple maduro.Awesome smoke in all categories.Final 1/3 was especially smooth and rich.Great cigar.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    Smoked a Nub Cammie box pressed. Not as good as the last one but still enjoyable. I think it needed a little more age.
    phobicsquirrel:
    gaberox:

Haven't had the g5, I really didn't like the g3 but I look forward to hearing what you say about the 5. I have yet to have the kahn, though I have 2 sitting. sorry that you had a bad experience.
    I just got a 5 pack but have yet to smoke any. I got the Presidente size.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    gaberox:
    j0z3r:

It was the 6x52.I felt like maybe I just got a bad one out of the box.Who knows what went wrong with that stick ha ha.On a better night finished off with a triple maduro.Awesome smoke in all categories.Final 1/3 was especially smooth and rich.Great cigar.
    Yeah, you never really know if you got the one that slipped through the quality control process. If you decide to try the GK again, try out the presidente, it is big and intimidating, but it was one of the finer Gurkhas I've smoked, and I'm not a huge fan, but I'd definitely smoke another. I love the Triple Maduro, just an awesome smoke all the way through, and like you said, the final third is just outstanding.

I got in a couple today. First was a La Aurora Barrel Aged churchill that I received from Rob1110, a good cigar, but I prefer the robusto, I guess the churchill was too much cigar with this one, I had my fill with about 3 inches left. I just finished with a Tatuaje Miami Reserve-somethingorother, J21 I think...a damn tasty smoke, thanks for that one Greg.
  • bbc020bbc020 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,422
    I smoked a DPG Cuban Classic today after lunch, the robusto. A fine smoke as always. Tonight I topped off dinner with a CAO LX2 Robusto that Kuzi sent me in the holiday exchange. With about 80 days rest, this cigar was excellent. Strong and spicy to start with but I definitely got more than just spice as this cigar burned down. A bit of a leathery sweet flavor developed. I smoked it down to about 3/4" and I'm still feeling the effects. Def a strong cigar, but full flavored all the way. I love the fact that I have a few more of these resting from a LX2 event I hit up with Maddy in Feb.
    I may give it another try another day  not anytime soon though.Ive got a CAO MX2 and a Brazilia churchill I believe lined up next.Would love to light up the MX right now but the better half wouldnt approve.
    Just got my Gurkha Beasts in today and I couldn't wait. I had some minor burn issues, but I did smoke it right out of the box. Man, I love this stick. I have a few more sitting in the humidor and can't wait to try another one with a little age on it, but as of right now, this is my favorite Gurkha, hands down.
  • plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 187
    Had a 5 vegas Classic torpedo. Urbi, thank you for suggesting this cigar. I sing your praises every time I smoke one.
    Just finished a Kopi Luwak thanks to a suggestion from Gene. Man, this is another great coffee infused stick. It is very similar to the Isla Del Sol, but better constructed and a little more power. The aroma on it is amazing, makes you want to blow into the wind. Awesome stick, thanks for the heads up Gene!
    alienmisprint:
    Just got my Gurkha Beasts in today and I couldn't wait. I had some minor burn issues, but I did smoke it right out of the box. Man, I love this stick. I have a few more sitting in the humidor and can't wait to try another one with a little age on it, but as of right now, this is my favorite Gurkha, hands down.
    I have a bout 12 of these. Maybe 2 are from last year in June and the others are from I think December. They are a cigar that I can't smoke that often. I don't have that much time to sit and enjoy.
    Yeah, it was about a two hour smoke, me and a buddy smoked one each after dinner. It definately isn't an everyday smoke, and probably not even a every-once-in-a-while smoke, more like a every-once-in-a-really-long-while smoke, lol.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    alienmisprint:
    Yeah, it was about a two hour smoke, me and a buddy smoked one each after dinner. It definately isn't an everyday smoke, and probably not even a every-once-in-a-while smoke, more like a every-once-in-a-really-long-while smoke, lol.
    It seems every time I intend to smoke a Beast I change my mind.. There is just too much of a good thing. That is how I managed to get several with some good age on them. They should make a Beast Jr. But, with so many Gurkhas to choose from now, who needs more decisions.
    alienmisprint:
    A while ago there were offering a 5 pack for $30. That is how I got so many. But yeah, I want to see how they age. My last time I smoked one, I made a mistake. I tried to smoke it while snow blowing. I learned my lesson. Don't snowblow and smoke!
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    Kind of along the same lines as the beast i had a Coronado by La Flor Dominicana today, the Corona Gorda(7x60) size. I was thinking "man is this thing ever going to end"!, took a hair over 2 hours and i still had about 1 1/2" inches left. Great blend though with the corojo and sumatra filler, very tasty...just get the smaller size unles you have a ton of time to kill. I burned it because it was taking up waaay too much room in the humi :)
    Just got done with a Nub Connecticut. I have to say, I was a little dissapointed. All I have heard and read about this stick has been great, but this one wasn't really all that. It started off kinda harsh, then I had some severe burn issues with it. After about 30 minutes and a couple of corrective lights, it mellowed out and started burning more-or-less even, but then it only had about 15 minutes left. And even then, the taste wasn't anything special, there are a ton of other connies I would rather have. Maybe this one was just a bad stick, it has been in my humidor for about 2 weeks at around 68 RH. I bought two from the B&M, I will give the other one a shot at some point.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    alienmisprint:
    Just finished a Kopi Luwak thanks to a suggestion from Gene. Man, this is another great coffee infused stick. It is very similar to the Isla Del Sol, but better constructed and a little more power. The aroma on it is amazing, makes you want to blow into the wind. Awesome stick, thanks for the heads up Gene!

Glad you enjoyed it Tony