Home General Discussion

Humidor

zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
Ok fellas, when I joined the site, I just wanted to get some info on cigars, and now, I have about 20 sticks sitting in a plastic bag with pillows in them. Wife not too happy, but she knows I dont smoke around her and I'm not going crazy yet if I purchase a small humidor. I'm only looking for like a 25-50 count humidor and was wondering what all do I need to get started. Is the digital hydrometer better? What does it mean when we have to "season" the humidor? What all do I need to purchase when I buy one? I didnt see any I liked at this site and browsed at a few other sites already. So I ask you my fellow BOTL's, where would you recommend me find a nice looking humidor? Oh, I like stuff not too ornate, looking for somthing clean and sleek. My house is very very modern.

Thanks fellas!

Comments

• RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    zeebra:
    Ok fellas, when I joined the site, I just wanted to get some info on cigars, and now, I have about 20 sticks sitting in a plastic bag with pillows in them. Wife not too happy, but she knows I dont smoke around her and I'm not going crazy yet if I purchase a small humidor. I'm only looking for like a 25-50 count humidor and was wondering what all do I need to get started. Is the digital hydrometer better? What does it mean when we have to "season" the humidor? What all do I need to purchase when I buy one? I didnt see any I liked at this site and browsed at a few other sites already. So I ask you my fellow BOTL's, where would you recommend me find a nice looking humidor? Oh, I like stuff not too ornate, looking for somthing clean and sleek. My house is very very modern.

Thanks fellas!
    Check this one out , Wally world has digital Hygros Inexpensive and youll need a bigger box sooner than you think! Welcome to the Forums! http://www.overstock.com/Gifts-Flowers/Humidor-Set/4486043/product.html
  • zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
    I am really afraid of what you said..."youll need a bigger box sooner than you think!" Man I make 2 year anniversary in July with my marriage, dont know if it will get there if I show up with a few 200 count humidors! lol. I'll check out the one you posted. Also, I saw some places that offer a whole "start up" kit. Worth buying?
  • minibeezyminibeezy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 257
    You have a PM.
  • brotheradambrotheradam Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 896
    You'll probably get this from everyone, but always buy bigger than you think you need. It true.
    brotheradam:
    You'll probably get this from everyone, but always buy bigger than you think you need. It true.
    I will now that I just got the 6 sticks you sent me! Thanks Jeff.
  • brotheradambrotheradam Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 896
    Awesome, glad you got them, enjoy.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    brotheradam:
    Wise advice. Buying a 25-50 count humidor (or smaller) is a bit of a waste. You'll be wishing you purchased one larger so you can age a few, or age a lot. And you'll find the great thing about having a humidor is you can order stuff now that you won't smoke for a few months. That way they are nice and rested when you get to them. The reality is that a 100 count humidor would be stuffed with 80 robusto sized cigars in it. With the daily deal prices, or sampler prices you're only talking a couple hundred bucks to fill that humidor.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    If you're looking for a 50-count humidor, you shouldn't have to spend more than $20 to get a decent one; good digital hygrometers can be had on Amazon for $17 (Xikar or Madelaine are good brands).

That said - go bigger. If you've got the money, give WaxingMoon's website a lookover - he can build to just about any specification you want, and the quality is much higher than anything mass produced.

Finally, when it comes to seasoning, search around these forums and you'll figure it out. Long story short, put a shallow, wide dish of distilled water in the humi, and close it for 5 days or so; buy some beads, charge 'em up, and stick those in there too. After 5 days or so, the humi is "seasoned", that is, the wood has absorbed the humidity. DON'T wipe down the interior of the humi - that's bad advice that just doesn't die - you risk warping the wood and ruining the seal, and all it does is save you a day or two if manage to do it right. Be patient, just stick a bowl of distilled water in there and let it sit

• KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    you can cut down your seasoning of your humi to 1 -2 days, if u dampen the wood a little with a sponge...I have never had a problem with warping wood. Hell, even a buddy of mine on here had his humi filled with water before it was given to him and it didn't warp. However, I do not recommend going to that extreme to season your humi.
    Thanks fellas. Makes me know what I am doing now................kinda!
  • turn_keyturn_key Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 90
    You sound just like me when I started this whole thing. I went through the same thing with the bags...lol

Shoot for at least a 100 count. It won't be huge and it will limit how many you can buy and store. Look for a box that's taller with a tray inside, they don't take up that much space and it will throw off the wife ;)

A digital hygrometer is more accurate than an analog, but they still need to be calibrated once in a while.

Seasoning is the process of humidifying a new humidor, which are dry. If you put a cigar in a new humidor it will dry out even with a humidifier because the wood lining will be absorbing the water as well. The lining needs to be saturated to maintain a certain level of humidity. I followed this: http://www.wikihow.com/Season-a-Humidor

You will need a gallon of distilled water, a sponge or shallow bowl for the seasoning, and a lot of patience ;)

Shop around and read the reviews. There are tons of sleek boxes with the hygrometer on the inside. My current humi was a gift and before that I was using a 50 count cigar box with a small round humidifier stuck to the lid. I just did a few quick google searches and found too many to list.... dammit I shouldn't have looked, now I want a new one!

Good luck!
    Ok. so why is a Davidoff humidor like $1000-$4000?? Do they make fresh new cigars while the box is closed and you never have to buy cigars again??? Also, I can relate this to my wife, who loves LV purses which cost $1000. I ask her to look inside and tell me the value of the contents in the purse...

kleenex ....$.50 cents
    iphone.....$300
    eye liner...$8.00
    lip gloss...$2.50
    dentyne gum...$1.00
    cash.....$100

Value does not even equal what is inside.
    zeebra:
    Ok. so why is a Davidoff humidor like $1000-$4000?? Do they make fresh new cigars while the box is closed and you never have to buy cigars again??? Also, I can relate this to my wife, who loves LV purses which cost $1000. I ask her to look inside and tell me the value of the contents in the purse...

kleenex ....$.50 cents
    iphone.....$300
    eye liner...$8.00
    lip gloss...$2.50
    dentyne gum...$1.00
    cash.....$100

Value does not even equal what is inside.
    Thank you! You just gave me some ammo to fire at the old lady when she's beefin'

I've seen the Davidoff humis and unless they do something magical, it's probably just the name. I like them, they look nice, exotic woods and what not, but do they perform better... who knows.

Realistically, each humi is going to be different in the seal and absorbtion rate of the liner. Although they will differ, you will still need to maintain them to some degree. I love cigars but don't think I would pay crazy money for a humidor.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Davidoffs are priced the way they are mostly due to the name, but also due to the exotic woods, and the quality. Take a $100 humidor and put it in a room with 40% humidity with a few beads inside - chances are, it'll struggle to stay above 55%. The better humidors *cough*WaxingMoon's*cough* are handmade with much tighter seals, and made to last longer - a well made humidor that's been seasoned will maintain 65% humidity with nothing but a handful of beads, even when the outside humidity is in the 30%'s or below. They retain humidity very well, and last a lifetime. Why? Better craftsmanship, better assembly, and better materials. Most mass-produced humi's are made with spanish cedar and some particle board with a veneer on it; these work perfectly fine for pretty much everybody, but they struggle to hold their humidity when the RH in the room starts dropping. The outside material really doesn't matter much - it can be ebony or it can be particle board, but the inside needs to be spanish cedar, and it needs to be put together right. The cheaper humidors all use spanish cedar, but it's the construction that makes the difference

That said, Davidoffs are way overpriced - a high quality humidor shouldn't run you more than a couple hundred, unless you're using exotic woods

And to clarify, when I said crazy money I meant thousands. I've been browsing a few sites and saw a few that I would gladly pay a couple-three hundred.

If I bought cheap cigars or went through them quickly I wouldn't worry about what quality humidor I had them in, but there are a few smokes I've held on to for months and if I stock up, then it might be years before I get to all of them. I guess you can look at it from that angle.
  • WaxingMoonWaxingMoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 328
    turn_key:
    And to clarify, when I said crazy money I meant thousands. I've been browsing a few sites and saw a few that I would gladly pay a couple-three hundred.

I sold this one for $165..... imageimage
    I've been on your site a few times Ed and I am so impressed. I don't know much about woodworking but know beautiful work when I see it. If I were in the market, you would be my first choice.
  • RCY CigarsRCY Cigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,346
    zeebra:

Thanks fellas!

Sorry Shawn, I couldn't help it. This is too funny, I stumbled across this. Go figure, he was actually human at one time, lol. I'm done for today, LOL!!!!

HOLY fukn *** Rick!!! LMFAOOO!!!! Slope is slippery my a s s !! Also shows you how informative this forum is. So besides the 120ct cooler, I have a 100 ct humi at home and a 30 count humi on my office desk.

and this picture was a year ago, its even more stuffed now!!!! I'll get an updated picture tonight.

• SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    These necroposts are great! Funny how the rolls change so drastically in just a couple years. From a newb with 20 cigars looking for his first humidor to ICU! Lol, the times they are a changin.
    SleevePlz:
    These necroposts are great! Funny how the rolls change so drastically in just a couple years. From a newb with 20 cigars looking for his first humidor to ICU! Lol, the times they are a changin.
    tell me about it. They have created a monster!!!
    zeebra:
    SleevePlz:
    tell me about it. They have created a monster!!!

When I came across this, the first thing that came to mind was, I.C.U. Lol, we all had to start somewhere. Good stuff....

• lcpleellcpleel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,447
    to think that his madness started only 2 years ago...
    lcpleel:
    to think that his madness started only 2 years ago...

And that sumed it up....

• bandyt09bandyt09 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,762
    Shawn, if it were me, I would be pissed at the SOB that bombed me and got it all stated........that's the person to blame, not yourself. Thank goodness no one bombed me so and got me to go any bigger than my 20 count.
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    bandyt09:
    Shawn, if it were me, I would be pissed at the SOB that bombed me and got it all stated........that's the person to blame, not yourself. Thank goodness no one bombed me so and got me to go any bigger than my 20 count.
    I think bandy has a bottomless 20 count. LOL!
    bandyt09:
    I still know and remember, my first trade was with Cank and my first bomb (74 cigar hit) was from Evan(ejenne87) and Joe(betasynn
    zeebra:
    bandyt09:
    I still know and remember, my first trade was with Cank and my first bomb (74 cigar hit) was from Evan(ejenne87) and Joe(betasynn
    I do remember that my first trade and hence the madness started with Cank. Seriously, I must blow his azz up again. Thanks for jogging the memory, now I have a weekend project.......
    0patience:
    bandyt09:
    Tony, if it was bottomless, then everything would fall out of it everywhere I picked it up, duh (lol). No really it is just a regular 20 count, there are pictures of it on this forum somewhere.......
  • JHeweyJHewey Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,411
    bandyt09:
    0patience:
    bandyt09:
    Tony, if it was bottomless, then everything would fall out of it everywhere I picked it up, duh (lol). No really it is just a regular 20 count, there are pictures of it on this forum somewhere.......
    it has a false bottom that goes in an underground storage area