Home General Discussion

Contest: help me put together a boffo birthday order

12346»

Comments

• urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    I'm thinking about lining them all up on the kitchen table and taking a picture for my scrapbook. Except for the ones I've already pulled out for duty's prize. Those aren't really mine.
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    yes! do that and post the picture up here! That way I can use deduce what's mine :)
    An update, here, just so people don't think I dropped the ball. After winning this contest, duty asked me to hold off sending him his winnings until maddy got his box pass back. If it hadn't turned up, duty, just being that kind of guy, had asked me to re-route his winnings to maddy.

Now that maddy has received the pass and declared himself satisfied, however, the winning package will be going out to duty in the next day or two.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    This is why I love this place. Dias and I have a plan worked out. Send this man his winnings!
    Gah!!! It's sitting there! In my house! The package was delivered shortly after noon today, and I have to work at the office today and tomorrow! Cruel, cruel fate!

I'll probably be home by about 6 PM, but I have to go get the kids and give them dinner and then I need to sharpen some ice skates before the babysitter gets there so I can immediately leave for our first hockey game of the (24th) season. The game's at 9, so I won't be out of the rink until 11 ....

I'll give a live-action commentary when I finally get around to opening the box tonight. Ugh, this is killing me!
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    dutyje:
    Gah!!! It's sitting there! In my house! The package was delivered shortly after noon today, and I have to work at the office today and tomorrow! Cruel, cruel fate!

I'll probably be home by about 6 PM, but I have to go get the kids and give them dinner and then I need to sharpen some ice skates before the babysitter gets there so I can immediately leave for our first hockey game of the (24th) season. The game's at 9, so I won't be out of the rink until 11 ....

I'll give a live-action commentary when I finally get around to opening the box tonight. Ugh, this is killing me!
    /que song "Anticipation"

/play
  • kts31584kts31584 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9
    i like the idea of getting his majesty's gran reserve but i would rather throw in a couple gurkha beauty to even it out...that'll b $800...and happy b-day!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    im not paying $700 for an infused cigar.
    dutyje:

Don't get too wound up there, sparky. After all, you might not like anything in it. I'm the one on pins and needles, waiting to find out if it's a winner.
  • rusiriusrusirius Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 564
    urbino:
    Don't get too wound up there, sparky. After all, you might not like anything in it. I'm the one on pins and needles, waiting to find out if it's a winner.
    Let me just step up and officially say that since I'm such a nice guy, if he doesn't like it, I'll be more than happy to let you try again on me to see if you get better results...

Thats just the kinda guy I am...
    OK.. It's 11:06 PM and I'm sitting here with the boffo box. I just put up the yoda post on the Unidentified Flying Monte thread, and I can't wait any more. My usual process is to peruse the unread threads and respond as necessary, but that stuff's just gonna have to wait.

I'm a little beat up tonight from our hockey game. We got the season off to a good start with a 6-3 win (I think that's what it was). I picked up 2 minutes for roughing, 5 for fighting, and a 10-minute game misconduct to start my season off with an awesome 17 penalty minutes. I got in a nice fight with a minute and a half to play. Another one of their players jumped in as well for a little 2-on-1 action (not the good kind). I came away with a bruised shoulder, but apparently I bloodied somebody up to where he spit blood on the ice. You'll have to wait until kuzi, luko, and maddy see me in person to understand how embarrassingly funny the prospect is of me getting in a fight and bloodying somebody up. This guy should never show his face at the rink again -- or a middle school for that matter.

OK.. on with other affairs. It's 11:10 already and I'm pumped up. Whoops, make that 11:11. If I type any slower I'll never get this damn thing open! OK.. The box is beat up. Not like my shoulder, but like it's been abused. I'm hoping that's just a funny joke urby played to pack it in a beat-up box and get me all worried.

Alright.. I've got my pocket knife out and it's still 11:11.. see - I type fast! One cut across the top, and I break the flaps open to reveal a bunch of plastic protective bags -- good sign. Off comes the plastic and HOLY MOSES that's a lot of cigars! I can't tell what they are through the bubble wrap, but there's a metric crapton of them.

OK... 11:13. It's all expertly wrapped in bubble wrap and air pillows (hmm.. new knickname? maybe after the surgery?).. OK... big ccom plastic bag with "Duty written on it... I see an RP vin 92 (oohhhhh baby!... I see a Trinidad (yes!) I gotta get this open.

11:15.. Here's the run-down as they come out of the bag:

1. Graycliff Purple Label Legend (dude.. this is the #1 STICK I have been dying to try after it got all those rave reviews this past summer!)
    2. Montecristo Media Noche (good night... we've already cleared my greatest hopes and dreams!)
    3. 2 -- yes 2!!! Gurkha Titans!!! I missed out on the special while it was here and have kicked myself ever since!!! These are going to be so amazing!
    4. This is a 601... I don't know by the label which kind.. doesn't look dark enough for the Oscuro.. doesn't look light enough for the original. Hmm.. gonna need to look this up
    5. Padilla Series '68 --- Did I send you my "must try" list? You're running down my whole dang shopping list in one bag!
    6. Another Graycliff Purple! I'm about to burst.. I need to pause for a second and drink some more Schlitz.

OK. 11:21.. back to business

7. Fuente -- I thought it was an 8-5-8 but is that a freaking Don Carlos? Are you kidding me? Seriously.. that can't be right. Tell me I'm wrong here. I don't know my cigars.
    8. 2 Sol Cubano Sumatra -- seriously, you're creeping me out with this shopping list. Granted, I recommended this, but WTF!
    9. There's the Trinidad I saw -- This is going to be a very special occassion smoke for me. These are awesome. I've had two in the past, and I also had the 100th Anniversary (not as good). This is one of my all-time favorites.
    10. Fuente size-longer-than-me. What is this monster? 8 inches long? It's got a perfecto tip, gotta be a Hemingway. I'm outta my league here. I need to get practicing on my Fuentes.
    11. Here come 2 RP 92's. EcSu wrapper on a dreamy smoke. I've only ever had one, and I regretted that it was all I had. Now I've got 2 more. I'm in total heaven.

OK.. almost done.. need more Schlitz. My shoulder is killing me. Wow. 11:32 PM. I might have passed out for a bit somewhere in there. OK... chugged the Schlitz. Back to business. I see 4 more.

12. Ohhhhh man! This might be the winner of the whole bunch. The stick I wanted to try but didn't want to shell out the dough for it. Oliva Special S! I'm so excited about this thing I don't know if I'll ever get the courage to smoke it.
    13. A little red Graycliff Original... another thing I've never had and I need to save for a special time. Urby, you're way over the top here.
    14. OMG Are you kidding me! TWO Gran Habano VL. If I'm not mistaken these babies came from the ccom aging room! I'm ready to faint.

Urby, you have raised the bar beyond anything I could have ever imagined. I lost count how many cigars that was, but holy cow! The only problem is they're all such high quality sticks I'll have a hard time convincing myself to smoke them. I know I said I don't normally carry mutiples, but every single one of these cigars is so special at least the doubles allow me to smoke one without feeling guilty for letting it go away! This is more stuff than I would normally smoke in a month! Wow.. I'm totally beside myself. I'm never going to get to sleep tonight.

Urby, there was more in that bag than I normally get for Christmas! I'm totally speechless.. or typeless.. or whatever it is on the internet. I have to go relax for a little bit. Thanks again!
    Alright.. now that I've had time to settle down from my happy giggly dance and chug another Schlitz, let me clarify a few things:

The little Graycliff Original is the actual Graycliff Original Release, from the ccom aging room, aged since 1997 (!!!). I have so many special-occassion sticks I don't know what to do with myself. Maybe I'll have to raise my standards for a while so I can smoke them!

The Hemingway Monster is apparently the "Masterpiece" -- a 9-inch embarrassment to one's own manhood.. I'll just keep telling myself it's not the length that matters, it's the girth!

Looking at Urby's order, I believe that the Fuente is IN FACT a Don Carlos. Seriously, this is more premium cigars than I've touched in my lifetime.

I still am not sure about the 601, but if I had to guess I'd say it's a 601 Green Oscuro. If that's the case, this cigar will be a rite of passage for me into knock-you-over full-bodied blends. I've had (and enjoyed) full-bodied cigars, but the write-up on this was a little intimidating. Thank goodness it's a robusto!

Wow.. I'm never going to get to sleep. I can't even figure out what will go in the "smoking queue" humi. I'm just going to bag them all back up and think about it. Amazing.
    4. I actually don't remember which 601 I sent.
    7. Don Carlos, yes.
    10. Hemingway Masterpiece.

Glad there's some stuff in there you like or wanted to try. You earned it, dood.
    dutyje:
    I can't even figure out what will go in the "smoking queue" humi. I'm just going to bag them all back up and think about it. Amazing.
    The Hemingway needs some time, so put that one on the bottom for a while. Everything else should be pretty much good to go after a bit of rest.
    urbino:
    dutyje:
    I can't even figure out what will go in the "smoking queue" humi. I'm just going to bag them all back up and think about it. Amazing.
    The Hemingway needs some time, so put that one on the bottom for a while. Everything else should be pretty much good to go after a bit of rest.
    That Hemingway won't even fit in the "smoking queue" humi! Now that you mention it, it does feel a bit dry, so I'll give it the love from my 70% tupperdor in the cool room. Based on the band, the 601 definitely looks like the Oscuro, it just doesn't seem as dark as a maduro. They carry 601 at one shop here, so I'll have to go check them out more closely.

Oh here we go.. just checked the United Tobacco website for EO Brands, and their photo of the 601 Black Label (Connecticut) is a spot-on match with what I have in my hand. Apparently a Connecticut wrapper grown in Ecuador, with a much more full body than a traditional Connecticut. The description sounds just like the ultra-tasty cigar I had last weekend, with an Ecuadorian Connecticut wrapper. I've never even seen this blend before. This will go in the smoking queue because I want to compare it with the local house blend Ecuadorian Connecticut.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    Damn, I think I might be dissappointed that Dias is coming through now!

Congrats doody!!!!
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Yes Duty, there is a Santa Clause and he lives in Memphis. Wow, now thats a Nice Package. ( insert jokes now!) Who's Birthday was it again ? Urbi, you are one step closer to Heaven and duty is already there.
    kaspera79:
    Wow, now thats a Nice Package.
    That's what the office girl said at noon when I walked in wearing my cycling shorts.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    urbino:
    kaspera79:
    Wow, now thats a Nice Package.
    That's what the office girl said at noon when I walked in wearing my cycling shorts.
    What was the line I read here... Brain Bleach !!
    When I finally got home, my wife came downstairs with the Boffo sampler and I said "nice box."
    Smooooooth. That's a man who's gonna get laid.
    urbino:
    Enough, by god. Here it is, the last and final revision of the Boffo Birthday Order. This is it, I mean it! ("Anybody want a peanut?")

10 - Oliva Special S, Diadema
    1 - Gran Habano VL (2005), Churchill, Maduro Box of 15
    10 - Graycliff Original Release (1997), Coronas Especiales
    10 - Rocky Patel Vintage 1992, Churchill
    10 - Avo Domaine #30
    12 - Gurkha Centurian
    12 - Gurkha Royal Brigade
    5 - Montecristo Media Noche No.3
    10 - A. Fuente Don Carlos #3
    5 - CAO L'Anniv. Cameroon Churchill
    5 - Trinidad Corona
    10 - Sol Cubano Sumatra Churchill
    5 - Punch Gran Puro Pico Bonito

I threw in the Punches so kuzi would love me.

That gives me 7 cigars I've never tried -- GH, Royal Brigade, Monte, CAO, Trinidad, SC, Punch -- and all the others are cigars I've rated 9.0 or higher.
    A post elsethread reminded me of all the thought Duty had put into this order, so I thought I'd give an update on the cigars in it that I'd never tried before. (Apparently you can't do an html unstructured list here, so this'll be a bit ugly.)

Gran Habano VL (2005), Churchill -- 8.75. I've only had one, but it seems to be a rich, cool smoke.

Gurkha Royal Brigade -- 9.0. Again, I've only had one, but it was very promising.

Montecristo Media Noche No.3 -- 9.1. I actually haven't had one of these yet, but I had the ultra-magnum size the other night, and it was terrific.

CAO L'Anniv. Cameroon Churchill -- 8.5. This one was a bit of a letdown, to be honest. Maybe my opinion will improve as I smoke through the rest of them.

Trinidad Corona -- 8.75. Good flavor here; if there were just a bit more of it . . . We'll see what the rest are like.

Sol Cubano Sumatra Churchill -- 9.0. The barnyardiest cigar I've ever had, and also quite delicious.

Punch Gran Puro Pico Bonito -- 9.1. Kuzi was right about these guys.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    urbino:

Punch Gran Puro Pico Bonito -- 9.1. Kuzi was right about these guys.

i wouldnt lead you astray