Home General Discussion

Contest: help me put together a boffo birthday order

Comments

• dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    Happy Birthday, urbino!

You should post up some candidate cuts and we'll try to help trim... or we'll just say "order them all!"

urbino:
    And the winner is . . . dutyje!
    Woo-hoo!!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    madurofan:
    OR if you can't make a decision put it up to a vote on here.
    this is a way more practical idea than what i had.

you also have less of a chance of putting a hole in your wall with this one.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    Alrighty. Definitely on the order:

Oliva Special S Diadema 7 X 48, Diadema, Sumatra Box of 20
    Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 Churchill 7 X 48, Churchill, Natural Box of 20
    Avo DOMAINE #30 BOX OF 25
    Trinidad Corona nat 5
    A.Fuente SunGrown Royal Salute BOX OF 10
    CAO L'Anniv. Churchil CAMEROON 5

If I'm doing my math right, the above comes to roughly $600, discounts included.

Definitely on the order, but quantity undecided:

Montecristo Media Noche No.3

Fighting for a spot:

Montecristo Serie C box $150
    Graycliff Original Release (1997) 5 $65
    Gurkha Centurian 5 ~$80
    Graycliff Mega-Sampler 20 $120
    Gran Habano VL box of 15 ~$65
    Rocky Patel Double Maduro lancero box of 10 $60
    Arturo Fuente Don Carlos No.3 qty. uncertain

• ScramblerScrambler Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 746
    urbino:
    And the winner is . . . dutyje!
    Of course it is. I demand a recount! Test him for doping!

Just kidding, congrats Duty.

Looks like an awesome order Urbi. I'd probably include at least a couple of those original release Graycliffs. I know my next order will have a couple.
    Wow.. that's a tough call... Not sure where your budget cuts off, but I'd probably rank them this way:

Gran Habano VL
    Graycliff Original Release (1997)
    RP Double Maduro Lancero
    Arturo Fuente Don Carlos No. 3
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    Close duty but it should actually be like this

Graycliff Original Release (1997)
    RP Double Maduro Lancero
    Gran Habano VL
    Arturo Fuente Don Carlos No. 3
    That's funny, maddy .... that's exactly how I typed it out the first time I wrote my message... then I went back and modified it because I think those Gran Habano would be a great thing to have on hand. And you know Urby's getting the RP Lanceros no matter what. I don't even know why he's kidding himself leaving it on the "candidate drop" list :)
    He should just order the whole damn RP Lancero sampler ...
    I have a few GH Habano #3's and 3 siglos in my humi that are just chilling for the right occasion. I just haven't had a GH yet so I can't comment.
    the two that stand out for me: Gurkha Centurian (like you didnt see THAT comming) and the Don Carlos No3.

the gurkha is one of the highest rated cigars in my catalog (9.5)
    this doesnt help if you are not a gurkha fan though...

the don Carlos no3 is one of vinces favorite. If i recall correctly he has one everyday as a morning smoke. I find it very hard to go wrong with a fuente product.

the graycliff was a bit dissapointing for me but it may just be me... iduno... long story short, those are my top two. i cant help you beyond that.
    It's kinda one of those deals where I can't decide if I want to get cool stuff I know I like (Don Carlos, Centurian, RP), or cool stuff I haven't had yet (Gran Habano, Graycliff, Monte). I actually do have a few of the Graycliff 1997s on hand, though; 3, I think. I just haven't smoked one yet.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    urbino:
    It's kinda one of those deals where I can't decide if I want to get cool stuff I know I like (Don Carlos, Centurian, RP), or cool stuff I haven't had yet (Gran Habano, Graycliff, Monte). I actually do have a few of the Graycliff 1997s on hand, though; 3, I think. I just haven't smoked one yet.
    Urbi, I'm tellin you, Get some Gran Habano 3 SIGLOS ( hey spell check joe, did 'ya see that one ) they are ( insert profanity here) GREAT !! Must try..
  • vankleekkwvankleekkw Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 404
    Congrats to duty on the contest. You can tell the effort that was put into that one.
    kaspera79:
    Urbi, I'm tellin you, Get some Gran Habano 3 SIGLOS ( hey spell check joe, did 'ya see that one ) they are ( insert profanity here) GREAT !! Must try..
    Dude! The idea at this point is to reduce the confusion, not add to it.
    Nice work on the spelling, kas. I know he's got one 3 Siglos on hand. Add two more singles in the same size and he's got his perfect sampler :)
    If you've already got 3 of the Graycliffs, hold off on them until you've smoked them. 10+ years is a lot of time under their belts. They may be losing it. Maybe the Capt can give advice on that. But try one already, dangit.. and if it's good, then you've got your first Christmas idea for yourself.
    Okay. Since it's my birthday, I'll have one of my Graycliff 1997s. Followed by a Hemingway. :)

I had forgotten you sent me a 3 Siglos. I had to go back and check after seeing your post.
    Scratch that. A Graycliff followed by a Nestor Reserve Maduro. The Graycliff's flavor was stronger than I expected (further comments in Whatcha Smokin?), so I want to follow it up with something with a more strikingly different flavor.
    Okay. After smoking that Graycliff last night, and much thought and rumination (yes, I chew my cud), here's the new lineup. The Fuente SunGrown has been eliminated and some boxes have been reduced to smaller quantities in order to accommodate more of other things (particularly, the Graycliff and Don Carlos). I can get all of the below and still be on budget -- something that couldn't be said for my previous list.

Definitely in:

10 - Oliva Special S, Diadema
    1 - Gran Habano VL (2005), Churchill, Maduro Box of 15
    10 - Graycliff Original Release (1997), Coronas Especiales
    10 - Rocky Patel Vintage 1992, Churchill

Almost definitely in:

10 - Avo Domaine #30
    6 - Gurkha Centurian
    5 - Montecristo Media Noche Edmundo
    1 - A. Fuente Don Carlos Res #3 Box of 25
    5 - CAO L'Anniv. Cameroon Churchill
    5 - Trinidad Corona

That gives me 4 cigars I've never tried -- GH, Monte, CAO, Trinidad -- and all the others are cigars I've rated 9.0 or higher.
    Not to play devil's advociate here, but yhink of all the money you'd save on box purchases, especially with the Monte's :)

That looks likean amazing order. Have you had the Gurkha Royal Brigade? I think it runs similar to or slightly cheaper than the Centurian.. it's a Legend in a Cameroon wrapper, and I know how you are about those cammies.
    urbi,

I will be your cigar.com mooch.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    Same here... I think this looks like a checklist for the MAW thread!
    dutyje:
    Not to play devil's advociate here, but yhink of all the money you'd save on box purchases, especially with the Monte's :)
    Do you wanna go to the moon? Do you wanna go to the moon?!!
    dutyje:
    That looks likean amazing order. Have you had the Gurkha Royal Brigade? I think it runs similar to or slightly cheaper than the Centurian.. it's a Legend in a Cameroon wrapper, and I know how you are about those cammies.
    I'm not familiar with that one. It sounds good, but in this case, I think I'll stick to the Centurians.

Thanks, kuzi and Lassy. After all this effort and excellent input, I think I'm finally happy with it. Part of the idea was to get enough of several things that I'd have some to spread around in the game threads.
    wait wait! one more thing.... the box purchase on the Don Carlos saves you 5 cents over the course of 25 cigars.... you could always cut down on your number there (get 12, 15, 20... whatever) and make room to try yet another cigar
    dutyje:
    wait wait! one more thing.... the box purchase on the Don Carlos saves you 5 cents over the course of 25 cigars.... you could always cut down on your number there (get 12, 15, 20... whatever) and make room to try yet another cigar
    Good thinking!
    sigh

Yeah, good point. Dammit.
    Ah hahahaha ... you need to place an order boy!
    The box price on Montecristos offers a huge savings/stick. Also, I noticed you went back to the Edmundo (5 x 55) instead of the No. 3 (5.5 x 44). Box price on those is $160 and $115 respectively. Either of those should buy you enough room for a fiver or two of Carlos Torano and/or Nub Cameroon (which were on your original list). Other good candidates for fivers there would be the La Flor Dominicana Ligero, Sancho Panza Extra Fuerte, or Sol Cubano Sumatra.

See? So downgrade the Fuentes to a five or ten.. move the Montes to a box purchase, and rank the brands above and buy fivers until you hit $800.
    Does anybody else get the feeling duty would like several Monte Media Noches in his Boffo Birthday Sampler? :)

Going back to the Edmundo was just a case of misremembering which one you'd recommended. The thing with going to a box of Montes is that, while I definitely want to try them, and despite the economy of scale, if I ranked my interest in the cigars on this list, the Monte would be near the bottom. So springing for a box would be overkill. I'd rather spend the money on cigars I'm more interested in.

Therefore, reducing the Don Carlos count to 10, I'd probably use the extra dough on some Gurkha Royal Brigades and Sol Cubano Sumatras.
    The Monte MN's are worth it but then again so are the SC Sumatras ..... tough choices urbs
    madurofan:
    The Monte MN's are worth it
    Spoken like a true madurofan.