Home General Discussion

Help... cigar lighter fluid

BigGBigG Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1
Howdy guys.  I know this will sound like a silly question, but how in the world do you fill one of the torch lighters?  Specifically, the black and silver one from cigar.com. I was using wooden matches when I fisrt began smoking cigars two years ago.  Now that I am up to about five sticks on a good day, I need a lighter but can't figure out how to fill the thing.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• DiasFlakDiasFlak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 342
    i believe on the bottom of the lighter there should be a thing where you recharge it
  • MaduroScottMaduroScott Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 53
    That's correct. If you're referring to the ccom lighter that you can sometimes get for free, there's a butane inlet in the middle of the black knob that you turn to adjust the torch. Just turn all the way to the (-) end for safety and you should be able to fill with the metal port in the middle of the dial.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    You will also need to use a small screwdriver or similar - depress the center of the fill port to release existing pressure in the lighter before refilling it.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    And use a quality butane if you are able to, I'd recommend Lava or Colibri as they are more refined than your run-of-the-mill el cheapo brand which can clog your lighter with impurities.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i purge the lighter by pressing down on inlet valve. this lets out any extra air. you will end up with more fluid in it if you do this. i then fill using colibri brand fluid.

if the lighter is clogged and doesnt light you can buy canned air, turn the flame adjustment all the way to the + side, hold down the button and blow air through it. then fill as usual.
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    thanks for asking the question.. while I knew how to fill my lighter, I guess I didn't know yet how to properly fill my lighter. I like this idea about releasing the existing pressure, and hopefully that's why I get so little fuel in mine. I can't wait to run out of fuel again, which should be Thursday, to try this out.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    Right, the pressure in the lighter has to be lower than the can, or the butane won't flow. Also, it's very cold when it transfers - so don't try using the lighter right away. Wait for it to warm up, this is what rebuilds the pressure in your lighter.
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 848
    I learn something on here all the time. That helps a whole lot. I always thought it was becuase I was buying cheap lighters. I got a nice one at home that I will know try to use...now that I can fill it correctly. Thanks guys. DOH!
    i had the smae problem.
    Right now i have an old triple flame lighter that claims its hot enough to spot weld with. its clogged up and i have no canned air. thats my next cigar related purchase. the light was very quick on that thing. Id have to hold the lighter about a foot away though. it was kinda fun...
    kuzi16:
    i had the smae problem.
    Right now i have an old triple flame lighter that claims its hot enough to spot weld with. its clogged up and i have no canned air. thats my next cigar related purchase. the light was very quick on that thing. Id have to hold the lighter about a foot away though. it was kinda fun...
    you try using a straw and blowing it? it will concentrate the air and usually works about the same
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    But then you'll end up clogging it with spit, thus negating any improvement over your original clog. Or I could just be trying to sound all scientific and whatnot.
    im using the canned air to blow THROUGH the lighter, not just onto the lighter. im gunna "fill" it with the canned air... just hold down the ignition button and spray wit the can. should unclog it.
    j0z3r:
    But then you'll end up clogging it with spit, thus negating any improvement over your original clog. Or I could just be trying to sound all scientific and whatnot.
    you could cause that but make sure all salive is out of your mouth in a sense i spit a couple times then im golden
    kuzi16:
    im using the canned air to blow THROUGH the lighter, not just onto the lighter. im gunna "fill" it with the canned air... just hold down the ignition button and spray wit the can. should unclog it.
    be careful that stuff can ignite and the fumes can kill you i know from experience the fumes are horrible
  • sackermasackerma Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 45
    lighter filling can be dangerous... had a chepo lighter gas station one blow up on my once when i was filling it... whatch out
    DiasFlak:
    kuzi16:
    be careful that stuff can ignite and the fumes can kill you i know from experience the fumes are horrible
    yeah. As longas im not near fire or smarks while doing this it shouldnt be a problem.
    ... i dont need my fingers anyway...
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    gotta wach out for those smarks... little buggers are always after my lighter
    even more proof that i cant type and/or spell
    kuzi16:
    its ok none of use can compete with duty and his awesome typing and cigar suggestions ...
    DiasFlak:
    kuzi16:
    its ok none of use can compete with duty and his awesome typing and cigar suggestions ...
    typing? no...

but i can recomend a cigar like its my job. Im gunna try and make it my job actually. part time if i can.
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 848
    I feel you on that one. But I would like to open a place that brings together my 3 hobbies. Cooking, Alcohol and Cigars...I just need the starting capitol.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    kuzi16:
    DiasFlak:
    kuzi16:
    typing? no...

but i can recomend a cigar like its my job. Im gunna try and make it my job actually. part time if i can.
    How do you propose this? Are you going to work at a B&M?
    with any luck .... yup.

the owner is crazy but that increases my chances.
    Sweet! So yo'll be getting a discount AND smoking at work. Lucky dog.
    ...dont know how the wife will feel about it though....
    You haven't asked her yet?
    who says she has to know...

"im off to work"

i never said what job.

... but then there IS tax season.
    kuzi16:
    who says she has to know...

"im off to work"

i never said what job.

... but then there IS tax season.
    you would be making more money why should she care?
    im not sure you understand the depth of her hatred of cigars.

the money was never the issue. I dont need another job. i figured id get hired part time if i walked in and said id work for minimum wage and one cigar a day (nothing too high end)