Home General Discussion

AJ Fernandez

undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
I have come to the conclusion that what ever this guy touches turns to gold. I know that everyone's tastes buds are different and you may feel otherwise, but I have yet to have one of his sticks that wasn't anything but great. I have tried to put a list of everything he has made to see if I'm missing anything. I found this on another forum so it's a start. Are you aware of anything else he makes that could be added? Also, I'm not sure this is 100% accurate, so if you see a mistake, let me know.

5 Vegas "AAA"
A. Fernandez Signature Series
Diesel Unholy Cocktail
Gurkha Park Avenue
ITC 10th Anniversary
La Cuna Bin No. 85
La Herencia Cubana
Man O' War
Man O' War Ruination
Nica Libre
Padilla Habano
Reposado 96
Rocky Patel Fusion
Rocky Patel Signature
Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet
Cigar.com House Blend Brazilian Label

Comments

• jacketsrulejacketsrule Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 401
    I agree, He's on a roll.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    I thought he blended the Gurkha Sherpa not the Park Ave... but most of these blends are fantastic.
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,515
    he is a beast. he eats rocky patel for breakfast and poops him out before brunch.
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    I love so many of these sticks. I really think he's got it down.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    Everyone has their tastes. I find many of his cigars rather one dimensional. Just one mans opinion.
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    I've noticed this myself... AJ Fernandez is definitely one of my favorite blenders.
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    madurofan:
    Everyone has their tastes. I find many of his cigars rather one dimensional. Just one mans opinion.
    even though i've been smoking a long time, I am a noobie to actually learning to be a connoiseur. i can appreciate a smoke that is good from beginning to end. it's nice to have that reliable stick. there's nothing worse than a stick that goes from okay to good to skanky as it burns. i haven't tried enough sticks out there to know everything but i sure like a dependable stick. I think he does that well. I can see what you mean by one dimensional but sometimes I can appreciate that. a lot of his sticks are "Go To" sticks in my book. the Padilla Habano, MoW, and ITC 10yr are perfect examples
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    madurofan:
    I, for one, think one dimensional is not always negative. If the cigar is tasty and I'm really into it, I don't mind if it's not complex. And on a personal note, I'd rather have a damn tasty one dimensional cigar than one that is very complex but not very tasty. I also think there's a point where a cigar can be too complex...I don't want to catch a flavor on one puff that I really like only to have it disappear and never come back. And I'm not saying you feel the opposite, I know as well as anyone here that you enjoy a good cigar, just putting it out there that, in my opinion anyway, there are more considerations than the level of complexity in determining a good cigar. But as you said, we each have our own taste, and I certainly wouldn't look to fault you for yours.

For my tastes, I think AJ Fernandez is putting out some great cigars...I don't like everything he makes, but if he puts out a cigar then I'm very likely to try it on the name alone, I think he's a talented blender and the cigars coming out of his factory are some of the best constructed cigars out there.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    I can't say I've had a stick of his I didn't enjoy. Some I like more than others, but he really is excellent at what he does. There are a few on the list I didn't know he made, lol. Looks like I have a few more on my list to try.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    I bought a box of La Cuna Bin 85's about a month ago for really cheap and I wasn't real impressed with them fresh off the truck. Perhaps with a little rest on them they'll be better.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    Never met an AJ Fernandez stick I never liked.

So SHUT UP Maddy... you're wrong :) Other guy's here have said it much more diplomatically then I have... but you didn't tell the forum that they piss sitting down did you? LMAO
    j0z3r:
    madurofan:
    I, for one, think one dimensional is not always negative. If the cigar is tasty and I'm really into it, I don't mind if it's not complex. And on a personal note, I'd rather have a damn tasty one dimensional cigar than one that is very complex but not very tasty. I also think there's a point where a cigar can be too complex...I don't want to catch a flavor on one puff that I really like only to have it disappear and never come back. And I'm not saying you feel the opposite, I know as well as anyone here that you enjoy a good cigar, just putting it out there that, in my opinion anyway, there are more considerations than the level of complexity in determining a good cigar. But as you said, we each have our own taste, and I certainly wouldn't look to fault you for yours.

For my tastes, I think AJ Fernandez is putting out some great cigars...I don't like everything he makes, but if he puts out a cigar then I'm very likely to try it on the name alone, I think he's a talented blender and the cigars coming out of his factory are some of the best constructed cigars out there.
    I completely agree that one dimensional is not always a bad thing. The nub line is completely built on being one dimensional. In the case of the Sol Cubana Sumatra it is very one dimensional but it is a taste I thoroughly enjoy.

Some of AJs cigars are very good, La Herencia, MoW Ruination. Others are very bland in my opinion. The problem with being one dimensional is that it is hard to have a consensus that a cigar is great. Complexity draws more people in, you might enjoy one flavor and I another but we can agree that the cigar is very good.
    laker1963:

So SHUT UP Maddy... you're wrong :) Other guy's here have said it much more diplomatically then I have... but you didn't tell the forum that they piss sitting down did you? LMAO
    LMAO! I thought you could take a good natured ribbing, I didn't realize you were so sensitive. Next time I spend the night with your daughter I'll give her some flowers to take to you ;)
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,515
    madurofan:
    laker1963:

LMAO! I thought you could take a good natured ribbing, I didn't realize you were so sensitive. Next time I spend the night with your daughter I'll give her some flowers to take to you ;)
    Hahahahahaha. I just spit my coffee everywhere! That's the best thing I'll hear all day!
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    I agree 100%! I haven't tried all of those, but pretty much all of the ones I've had I really like.

One other I think AJ blended was the RP Double Maduro - didn't see it on your list although I guess it's sort of the maduro version of the RP Fusion, so it may have been implied. I have always liked that one a lot too - one of the first maduros I really go into.

I bought several of the AJ samplers from c.com last year (MOW, RP Fusion, RP MM, Padilla Habano & Sherpa) and still have a few resting. Looking forward to enjoying those this spring. I always thought that was a nice lineup esp for the price and would pick it up again.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    madurofan:
    laker1963:

That's wasn't my daughter, you clown. That was my neighbours Great Dane !

That's it, the next time you show up drunk and without your glasses, I'm just sending you home. Boy some guy's.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    AJ has some real talent for blending tasty cigars, one dimensional or not. I like them all.
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    AJ is an amazing guy. Truly the best in the trade in my opinion and that is saying a lot since he is only 30 years old. Below is the complete list:

Man O War
    Man O War Ruination
    La Herencia Cubana
    La Herencia Cubana Oscuro Fuerte
    Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet
    Graycliff Turbo
    5 Vegas Triple A
    Garo Unum
    Estaban Carerras Habano Corojo and Maduro
    ITC 10 Year
    Rocky Patel Fusion
    Rocky Patel Double Maduro
    Rocky Patel Signature
    Deisel
    Reposado 96
    Graycliff G2
    Sol Cubano Artisan
    Cigar.com Brazilian Label
    Gurkha Park Ave
    Gurkha Sherpa
    Gurkha Microbatch S-2
    Gurkha Microbatch C-10
    Gurkha Microbatch TPB-1
    Padilla Achilles
    La Cuna Bin 85
    Rocky Patel Triple Fusion
    Red Lion
    Nica Libre
    Tantra Flavors

Some of these have been discontinued or are being discontinued for various reasons. There are also a few in the works such as Man O War Virtue which will be a super high end connecticut and also a brand called San Lotano which is the brand Abdels grandfather used to make in Cuba which he has been working on resurrecting for the past 3 years. He finally nailed the blend a month or two ago and will be bringing it to market. Unlike most of his blends which are made for distributors, San Lotano will be sold nationwide to fine tobacconists and his own brand and line. I smoked both the maduro and the habano version. Maduro was just okay but the habano was killer.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Alex Svenson:
    AJ is an amazing guy. Truly the best in the trade in my opinion and that is saying a lot since he is only 30 years old. Below is the complete list:

Man O War
    Man O War Ruination
    La Herencia Cubana
    Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet
    Graycliff Turbo
    5 Vegas Triple A
    Garo Unum
    ITC 10 Year
    Rocky Patel Fusion
    Rocky Patel Signature
    Deisel
    Reposado 96
    Graycliff G2
    Sol Cubano Artisan
    Gurkha Park Ave
    Gurkha Sherpa
    Gurkha Microbatch S-2
    Gurkha Microbatch C-10
    Gurkha Microbatch TPB-1
    Padilla Achilles
    La Cuna Bin 85
    Red Lion
    Nica Libre
    Tantra Flavors

Impressive List but the last one raised a huge question mark....

• undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    Alex Svenson:

Man O War
    Man O War Ruination
    La Herencia Cubana
    Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet
    Graycliff Turbo
    5 Vegas Triple A
    Garo Unum
    ITC 10 Year
    Rocky Patel Fusion
    Rocky Patel Signature
    Deisel
    Reposado 96
    Graycliff G2
    Sol Cubano Artisan
    Gurkha Park Ave
    Gurkha Sherpa
    Gurkha Microbatch S-2
    Gurkha Microbatch C-10
    Gurkha Microbatch TPB-1
    Padilla Achilles
    La Cuna Bin 85
    Red Lion
    Nica Libre
    Tantra Flavors

Some of these have been discontinued or are being discontinued for various reasons. There are also a few in the works such as Man O War Virtue which will be a super high end connecticut and also a brand called San Lotano which is the brand Abdels grandfather used to make in Cuba which he has been working on resurrecting for the past 3 years. He finally nailed the blend a month or two ago and will be bringing it to market. Unlike most of his blends which are made for distributors, San Lotano will be sold nationwide to fine tobacconists and his own brand and line. I smoked both the maduro and the habano version. Maduro was just okay but the habano was killer.

Do I smell a new sampler Alex?
    Alex thanks again for the great info.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    After my harsh remarks about the Bin 85 earlier I decided to revisit it today. I'm glad I have these now as it was way better than the first one I had. I started with strong nutty flavors of Macadamian nutt. In my experiences, most cigars have a peppery finish to them more times than not. I've never had with an incredibly sweet finish with flavors of cherry, apricot, and melon. Perfect burn as well.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    Alex Svenson:

Man O War
    Man O War Ruination
    La Herencia Cubana
    Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet
    Graycliff Turbo
    5 Vegas Triple A
    Garo Unum
    ITC 10 Year
    Rocky Patel Fusion
    Rocky Patel Signature
    Deisel
    Reposado 96
    Graycliff G2
    Sol Cubano Artisan
    Gurkha Park Ave
    Gurkha Sherpa
    Gurkha Microbatch S-2
    Gurkha Microbatch C-10
    Gurkha Microbatch TPB-1
    Padilla Achilles
    La Cuna Bin 85
    Red Lion
    Nica Libre
    Tantra Flavors

Are the blends he does for other people his own creations, a collaborative effort with the person whose name is on it, or is he just and assembler for those?

Hopefully that question makes sense.
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    Alex Svenson:

Man O War
    Man O War Ruination
    La Herencia Cubana
    Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet
    Graycliff Turbo
    5 Vegas Triple A
    Garo Unum
    ITC 10 Year
    Rocky Patel Fusion
    Rocky Patel Signature
    Deisel
    Reposado 96
    Graycliff G2
    Sol Cubano Artisan
    Gurkha Park Ave
    Gurkha Sherpa
    Gurkha Microbatch S-2
    Gurkha Microbatch C-10
    Gurkha Microbatch TPB-1
    Padilla Achilles
    La Cuna Bin 85
    Red Lion
    Nica Libre
    Tantra Flavors

Hey Alex, is the Padilla Habano one of AJ's blends too? Didn't see it on the list.
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    I will try to hit all the questions one at a time:

I Smell A Sampler: Indeed, AJ Fernandez Dirty Dozen at $29.95 for 12 sticks. Look for it on the cover of an upcoming catalog.

Does he do all the blending when he makes a cigar for someone else? Depends on what the customer wants. Sometimes they want to be highly involved and sometimes they give him free rain. I will say, there have been customers that have come around and asked him to make something he does not like and he flat our refuses. Or in cases where he does not like the blend, he will still make it if the customer is a friend but usually wont let them disclose that it is made at his factory as he only wants his name used with cigars he believes in. Usually, on projects where I have been the blender, I sit with abdel and he makes suggestions or I will let him make the initial variation of the blend and I will go in and tweak it. The kid is so talented, how could you not? His cigars are also expensive and a big part of the price is his expertise and amazing materials that he ferments himself and in many cases grows himself. If you are going to pay the price he charges for his cigars, you might as well ask him to be involved. When I say expensive, I mean by factory standards. The reason so many of the brands seem like a value to the end consumer are because he makes a lot of stuff for catalogs who buy direct from the factory and sell to the end consumer. In the case where he sells to a distributor, who sells to a store who sells to the end consumer, more hands in the pot means more markup. The catalogs and direct marketing folks who buy from his factory can simply pass on the savings. In many cases it is as much as 50%.

Padilla Habano is not on the list. Originally ernesto padilla made it at oliva then switched to abdel now he switched back to oliva. Not uncommon for brand owners to hop around like that. Abdel still makes the Habano Artisan version.
    Left one off, revised is below.

Man O War
    Man O War Ruination
    La Herencia Cubana
    Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet
    Graycliff Turbo
    5 Vegas Triple A
    Garo Unum
    ITC 10 Year
    Rocky Patel Fusion
    Rocky Patel Signature
    Deisel
    Reposado 96
    Graycliff G2
    Sol Cubano Artisan
    Gurkha Park Ave
    Gurkha Sherpa
    Gurkha Microbatch S-2
    Gurkha Microbatch C-10
    Gurkha Microbatch TPB-1
    Padilla Achilles
    La Cuna Bin 85
    Red Lion
    Nica Libre
    Tantra Flavors
    Rocky Patel Patel Brothers

• kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Wow, of that list I have had twenty-two of them, and of those there is only one that I did not like, That one must have just been a fluke, which I will have to try again.
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 930
    I haven't tried nowhere near everything on the list Alex posted. However, I have tried a few, and they're all on my go-to list. Funny, I always thought Nica Libre was blended by Oliva. I stand corrected. AJ Fernandez now blends my favorite smoke.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    clearlysuspect:
    After my harsh remarks about the Bin 85 earlier I decided to revisit it today. I'm glad I have these now as it was way better than the first one I had. I started with strong nutty flavors of Macadamian nutt. In my experiences, most cigars have a peppery finish to them more times than not. I've never had with an incredibly sweet finish with flavors of cherry, apricot, and melon. Perfect burn as well.
    I love that cigar, clearlysuspect. It tastes like nothing else on the market.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    kaspera79:
    Wow, of that list I have had twenty-two of them, and of those there is only one that I did not like, That one must have just been a fluke, which I will have to try again.
    I've only had 8 of them:

La Herencia Cubana
    Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet
    Rocky Patel Fusion
    Gurkha Sherpa
    Padilla Achilles
    La Cuna Bin 85

Now that I know the same guy was behind all of them, though, you can bet your sweet bippy that I'll be working my way through the rest of the list! Thanks for the skinny, Alex.