Home General Discussion

Has any one tried the cao Sopranos?

cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
Has any one tried the cao Sopranos? Feed back?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    its an ok smoke.

CAO MX2 is better. so is the brazilia, and italia. im not mad at the soprano but i feel that for half the price you can get a better cigar.
  • shamrockedshamrocked Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 285
    I'll find out what I think once they rest longer - have five of them right now in the humi awaiting to be lit
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    kuzi16:
    its an ok smoke.

CAO MX2 is better. so is the brazilia, and italia. im not mad at the soprano but i feel that for half the price you can get a better cigar.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. The MX-2 is much better for half the price. And I think the Sopranos have gotten pretty hard to come by.

Now if someone gave me a Sopranos I'd be happy to smoke it Smile [:)].
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 583
    I have 2 boss in my humi right now that have been resting for 3 months. I'll try to smoke one in the next couple weeks and report back.
  • casmangcasmang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 31
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    its an ok smoke.

Couldn't have said it better myself. The MX-2 is much better for half the price. And I think the Sopranos have gotten pretty hard to come by.

+3 on the MX2, the Sopranos was pretty good but the MX2 was better...
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    casmang:
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    its an ok smoke.

Make that +4, the Sopranos is an okay cigar, not nearly as good as the price wouild lead you to believe, but the MX2 is way better. I also like the America and Italia from CAO much more than the Sopranos.
  • SaVasSaVas Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 250
    alienmisprint:
    casmang:
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    its an ok smoke.

Make that +4, the Sopranos is an okay cigar, not nearly as good as the price wouild lead you to believe, but the MX2 is way better. I also like the America and Italia from CAO much more than the Sopranos.
    Subtract one for me. For some reason the MX2's I've had have been flat and boring with very little flavor. They are actually one of my least favorite CAO cigars. But, I love the Sopranos line. Granted, I think they are gimmick priced unless you can find deals in the sub $5 range per stick on some of the internet sites for the 'soldier' which happens to be my favorite size in the line. They are excellent with 6 months age or longer. OTT they are good, but I think acclimating them to your own humidor for a few months does them a lot of justice.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    I had the "Boss" size a few months ago. Good flavors but I couldn't keep the thing lit (probably because of the size). I have a couple of the Soldier sizes sitting in my humi and I am optimistic it will be a good cigar. The foot smelled like chocolate.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    SaVas:
    But, I love the Sopranos line. Granted, I think they are gimmick priced
    Its not so much a gimmick price as it as that they have to pay HBO to use the nme.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    I had one a few weeks ago - it was excellent. Course, it was a gift, so I wasn't think about the price. But when a very broke friend of mine picked up 10 of "The Boss" for $50, I jumped at the opportunity to grab 6 of them from him. At $5 a piece, I'm sure I'll be very happy. I plan on resting them at least 4-6 months and seeing how they compare with the one I smoked in January.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    I have a box of soldiers, and I like them. I feel there is a bit more flavor than the mx2. The tony soprano is tasty too but hard to find and is expensive. I will say that if you can find this cigar for about 10 bucks or so then I say give it a go (the soldier). The associate should be bought for under 8 but they do get inflated.
  • cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    phobicsquirrel:
    I have a box of soldiers, and I like them. I feel there is a bit more flavor than the mx2. The tony soprano is tasty too but hard to find and is expensive. I will say that if you can find this cigar for about 10 bucks or so then I say give it a go (the soldier). The associate should be bought for under 8 but they do get inflated.
    I got 5 Signature 6.5 x60 for $30 online the other day due in tomorrow will let them rest till late summer.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i think i have a soprano from a few YEARS ago... ill have to look.
  • taddowtaddow Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 51
    I had my second one of these after I let it age some in the humidor and while it smoked better than the first one I tried it was not all that special. I really didn't get any flavor kick till it had burned down to the second third and even that wasn't that exciting. I think I'll stick to the Brazilla and Italia.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Since this thread is 3+ years old ....
    I want to know what is everyone's (current) thoughts on the CAO Sopranos???

I thought the MSRP was too high on these, but that blitz price seems like a steal. IDK if I can justify spending that much $$ right now but it's very very tempting.
    Might have to smoke one tonight and see if it's "box worthy" ....

What do you all think?
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    I had one a couple of weeks ago and thought it was very good but yeah not the original asking price but the smoke itself was real good.
  • J.S.J.S. Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 751
    For me these are just OK. I would never turn one down if someone offered it but I cannot see spending the coin for them. If you have one, smoke it and see it might be a little less tempting!
  • VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
    Im with Tat and Phobic-----its a good stick. I will say it was better 5 years ago then the current crop, but its still a stick I would gladly pay 8 plus bucks for. Id take it over a lot more expensive Ashtons and Diamond Crown Maduros without a doubt. This said, if anyone is looking for a possible box splilt of the associate size during this weekend blitz.....shoot me a PM.
  • CigaryCigary Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 623
    It's all a matter of personal taste really...I used to be one of those who didn't like any CAO cigars...just didn't find any of them to my liking and then one day I smoked one ( Brazilia ) that I'd smoked before and didn't like and it was like my tastes did a 360...I loved it. After that one I smoked a lot of different CAO and found the GOL and Soprano and others to my liking. Our tastes are subject to change over time and what I liked in my 40's I now like cigars that are different. Taste buds tend to die off as we get older and that can literally change everything...a new ball game. To elicit what might be a good cigar for others is sometimes "iffy" because our tastes are different and sort of similar. I know BOTL that share some of my likes and dislikes so I tend to follow their advice instead of listening or reading everybodys opinion...when I share tastes with those brothers who share what I like it is a much better road to go down. I've spent too much money on the next greatest cigar and hated them while I let my buddies taste it first and if they like it....I'll try it.
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    Somebody give me a compare/contrast with the CAO l'Anniversarie Maduro. It is one of my favorite smokes, but I've never had a Sopranos so I'm curious how the two measure up to each other.
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    SaVas:
    alienmisprint:
    casmang:
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    its an ok smoke.

Subtract one for me. For some reason the MX2's I've had have been flat and boring with very little flavor. They are actually one of my least favorite CAO cigars. But, I love the Sopranos line. Granted, I think they are gimmick priced unless you can find deals in the sub $5 range per stick on some of the internet sites for the 'soldier' which happens to be my favorite size in the line. They are excellent with 6 months age or longer. OTT they are good, but I think acclimating them to your own humidor for a few months does them a lot of justice.
    Subtract another,, no love for the MX2 .. I love Brazillian tobacco, and I think the soprano's is a better stick that the CAO Brazillia. I'm grabing as many as I can afford.
    jgibv:
    Since this thread is 3+ years old ....
    I want to know what is everyone's (current) thoughts on the CAO Sopranos???

I thought the MSRP was too high on these, but that blitz price seems like a steal. IDK if I can justify spending that much $$ right now but it's very very tempting.
    Might have to smoke one tonight and see if it's "box worthy" ....

What do you all think?
    To answer your question,, Yes for me definately a box worthy smoke. If you have one, smoke it, and decide for yourself,, Sounds like there's alot of people interested in this stick and would be willing to do a split.. ANd yes its a good price.
    ^To add to the MX2 discussion, I've only had one but I remember not being terribly impressed. To steal Kuzi's vernacular, I wasn't mad at it but I wasn't wowed at all. For a double maduro, I think the Cusano Paired Maduro is miles better than the MX2, just MHO of course. Still curious about how you guys would compare the Sopranos to some of the other CAOs.
    Heavy:
    Somebody give me a compare/contrast with the CAO l'Anniversarie Maduro. It is one of my favorite smokes, but I've never had a Sopranos so I'm curious how the two measure up to each other.
    I know this might not make sense but when I think of the Sopranos I dont think maduro,, Like I do with the MX2 or the better l' anniversaire. It just has a different flavor profile, Sorry as I know this probably doesnt help
    The Kid:
    Heavy:
    I know this might not make sense but when I think of the Sopranos I dont think maduro,, Like I do with the MX2 or the better l' anniversaire. It just has a different flavor profile, Sorry as I know this probably doesnt help
    Nah, that definitely helps. I understand the maduro that doesn't remind you of a maduro, well sorta lol. If it isn't in the same ballpark as the l'anniversarie I don't think I'll take the chance on a large quantity purchase sight unseen so to speak.
    Heavy:
    The Kid:
    Heavy:
    Nah, that definitely helps. I understand the maduro that doesn't remind you of a maduro, well sorta lol. If it isn't in the same ballpark as the l'anniversarie I don't think I'll take the chance on a large quantity purchase sight unseen so to speak.
    I would say its closer to a CAO brazillia than the L'anniversaire, just curious do you like the CAO America?
    Never had one. I think I got one through a pass or bomb one time but ended up passing it on I think. Something happened to it anyway cuz it ain't in my humi and I certainly didn't smoke it lol!
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    The Kid:
    Heavy:
    The Kid:
    Heavy:
    I would say its closer to a CAO brazillia than the L'anniversaire, just curious do you like the CAO America?
    I really like those, I could really taste the sweetness of the wrapper! Hopefully they'll be next weeks Blitz..
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    The Kid:
    Rudy, I think you hit the nail on the head here.
    I smoked one last night and it's hard to describe ... but it was not your "typical" maduro. But don't take that as a negative, because it was a very good smoke IMO, just not what I expected.

But I will say this ..... the construction and burn ... out of this world!!!
    This cigar was, by a long shot, the best & most even burn I've experienced in 6+ months.
    It stayed perfectly straight the whole time, no tunneling, no canoeing, didn't require a single touch up.
    We had the ceiling fan on the porch running on high, normally this would wreak havoc on the ash and I'd have to keep a close eye on it .... but not with the Soprano. The ash was solid. Not flaky at all and held on for probably 1.5 inches, I only ashed it twice.

The flavor profile won't please everyone, but this cigar was 100% perfectly constructed ... I wouldn't pay MSRP for them, but I think it'd be very fair to pay $7-8/cigar.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    I only have two Tony's left and sadly I wish I had more. But I'm not buying the 4 pack just for the Tony. I wish I had jumped on a deal years ago for 5 of them. Eh, oh well. I had a soldier last weekend, had it for some time. I thought it was better than when I first had it when I bought the box. I haven't had a mx-2 in some time and I bought them both around the same time. Unless the mx-2 impresses the hell out of me with the aging, then I'm still saying the CAO Soprano is better. Now I like the Tony more than the soldier, seems more flavorful to me and it lasts longer too. Either way though it's just my opinion.