Home General Discussion

Winter Reading Suggestions

robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
I've been smoking for just about a year and have a lot to learn. Any literature that you can suggest? I want to gain some insight into cigars. Wrappers, filler, etc. You know, the basic stuff. But I don't want to get "The Idiots guide to cigars" Thanks!

Comments

• DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169

I really enjoy using "The Library" on Cigar Aficionado's website:

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Archives/CA_Archives_Magazine/0,2705,,00.html

Lots of great articles and interviews. Also here is the link to their Cigar 101 page:

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Features/CA_Cigar101/0,2760,,00.html
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130

robbyras:
    I've been smoking for just about a year and have a lot to learn. Any literature that you can suggest? I want to gain some insight into cigars. Wrappers, filler, etc. You know, the basic stuff. But I don't want to get "The Idiots guide to cigars" Thanks!

Haha, I actually ordered the Idiot's Guide and it was surprisingly informative. A lot of the info I had already knew from purusing the web, but there are several nuggets of interesting stuff. My friends definitely didn't let that one go when they found out.

Google "Tobacco University" and it should come up with a site that is sponsored by Padron. That site covers pretty much everything about cigars. You can also check out cigarcyclopedia.com's cigar primer. Last, but not least, this forum contains a wealth of information. Be prepared to waste hours of your time.

• KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    sightunseen:

robbyras:

Haha, I actually ordered the Idiot's Guide and it was surprisingly informative. A lot of the info I had already knew from purusing the web, but there are several nuggets of interesting stuff. My friends definitely didn't let that one go when they found out.

Google "Tobacco University" and it should come up with a site that is sponsored by Padron. That site covers pretty much everything about cigars. You can also check out cigarcyclopedia.com's cigar primer. Last, but not least, this forum contains a wealth of information. Be prepared to waste hours of your time.

The idiot's guide is a great book for cigars. I read it when I was first starting out and really really made my smoking experience more enjoyable.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
    HA! i didn't even realize there was an idiots guide. Maybe I'll pick it up. Thanks guys! I remember there was a post on this site a year ago about "how to smoke a cigar". I printed it out but, as things ten to do, it's disappeared. I can't find the post on here anymore either. Does anyone remember this one?
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
    PM me your address. I have a couple books that you might find interesting. I have learned a lot from them. I'll gladly send them your way!
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Obviously I've been out-voted here, but I strongly recommend against the Complete Idiot's guide to Cigars.. I've had great luck with other Idiot's guides, but I found the Cigar one to be very poorly written, and filled with incorrect and/or just plain false information. I was very disappointed in the book, given how happy I've been with others.

The Connoisseur's Guide to Cigars was a good read for me..
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    robbyras:
    HA! i didn't even realize there was an idiots guide. Maybe I'll pick it up. Thanks guys! I remember there was a post on this site a year ago about "how to smoke a cigar". I printed it out but, as things ten to do, it's disappeared. I can't find the post on here anymore either. Does anyone remember this one?
    Yeah, I do remember that one. I tried doing it the way it was suggested and I thought it was a good process. I think it's in the blogs though and not the forums.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
    clearlysuspect:
    robbyras:
    Yeah, I do remember that one. I tried doing it the way it was suggested and I thought it was a good process. I think it's in the blogs though and not the forums.
    Here is the URL to the blog you are reffering to...

http://www.cigar.com/cs/blogs/alex_ccom/archive/2008/07/09/7610.aspx
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    ejenne87:
    clearlysuspect:
    robbyras:

Yeah that's the one. It took me a long time to figure out how to blow the smoke through my nose. That's the only thing I would change about this blog. They mention a "swallowing motion" or "draw the smoke to the back of your throat." All you really need to do is take a nice bid draw, close your mouth and start breathing out your nose. After a second, it'll take care of itself.
    clearlysuspect:
    ejenne87:
    clearlysuspect:
    robbyras:

Yep... that's the one... thanks fellas next time i'll get off my @ss and look for myself before asking you guys to do it for me.. you guys have been super helpful! thanks again! Yeah that's the one. It took me a long time to figure out how to blow the smoke through my nose. That's the only thing I would change about this blog. They mention a "swallowing motion" or "draw the smoke to the back of your throat." All you really need to do is take a nice bid draw, close your mouth and start breathing out your nose. After a second, it'll take care of itself.
    ejenne87:
    PM me your address. I have a couple books that you might find interesting. I have learned a lot from them. I'll gladly send them your way!
    Evan hooked me up! Not only did he send the books my way, he included a few things for me to smoke while I read! Very generous! Thanks brother!
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    robbyras:
    ejenne87:
    Evan hooked me up! Not only did he send the books my way, he included a few things for me to smoke while I read! Very generous! Thanks brother!
    Evan is the man. :) I sent him a cigar book this fall - if he read it and enjoyed it as much as I did, I hope he inluded it in the package to you.
  • Poker SlobPoker Slob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 996
    I just ordered the tobacconist handbook from amazon yesterday. Has anyone read this yet?
  • FubarFubar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 33
    As a newbie I also almost picked up the "Complete Idiots guide To Cigars", but like most of their books it did not seem to good to me. They have a tendency to water stuff down(of course it is an idiots guide), which is good for a new person but I like in depth detailed stuff. When I go to Borders or Barnes and Noble next time I will check it out. I also want a good beginner book.