Home General Discussion

I need a 2000 ct humidor

JCargoJCargo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 13
My cigar collection has been growing exponentially. However, this means I am running out of room at a drastic pace. I need something that can accomidate my ever growing collection. This being said I would rather not spend $600.00 to $1400.00 on a humidor. It's my hope that someone here has a used one that they are trying to unload. Let me know if you have one or if you have any ideas on what to do. Thanks, Joe.

Comments

• undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    I hate you.

In all honesty, you may want to think about some coolidors and go from there. I'm sure it would be easier to organize and defiantly would be cheaper. With a 2000 count humidor, you are putting all your eggs in one basket and if something were to go wrong, that could be a bad thing. If you're really set on it, I hope you find what you are looking for. I wish I had your problem. Best of luck.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    Don't know if this will help, seeing as how you live in pompono beach, but I came across this add on craigslist:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/for/1531546782.html

Shipping may be a problem......
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    waxingwood makes custom humi's, he's on here. check him out. outstanding work
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    JCargo:
    My cigar collection has been growing exponentially. This being said I would rather not spend $600.00 to $1400.00 on a humidor. Let me know if you have one or if you have any ideas on what to do. Thanks, Joe.

Joe, how about this for a thought...

Not knowing how handy you are with woodwoking, but I have been looking into an idea. A humidor is simply a box, lined with "Spanish Cedar". If the box has a good air tight seal, and using a humidification device it should maintain a fairly constant humidity, right? Well, I found a wood shop close to me that deal in Spanish Cedar, different thickneses. I plan to try to convert a mid sized wall unit with doors into a humidor by lining the complete inside with spanish cedar and creating a better seal for the doors. With a little creativity, I should end up with a humidor big enough to put full boxes of cigars to age.

The real trick is to season the humidor properly and have enough humidification beads for the size. You can get battery operated fans that run a few minutes at a time to keep circulation or purchase an electric fan with a timer to save on electricity cost for circulation.

If you were to build one along this idea, this should keep your costs down, give you a project to work on and maybe have some fun with it?

just an idea, take it or leave it

• Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    camgfs:
    JCargo:
    My cigar collection has been growing exponentially. This being said I would rather not spend $600.00 to $1400.00 on a humidor. Let me know if you have one or if you have any ideas on what to do. Thanks, Joe.

Joe, how about this for a thought...

Not knowing how handy you are with woodwoking, but I have been looking into an idea. A humidor is simply a box, lined with "Spanish Cedar". If the box has a good air tight seal, and using a humidification device it should maintain a fairly constant humidity, right? Well, I found a wood shop close to me that deal in Spanish Cedar, different thickneses. I plan to try to convert a mid sized wall unit with doors into a humidor by lining the complete inside with spanish cedar and creating a better seal for the doors. With a little creativity, I should end up with a humidor big enough to put full boxes of cigars to age.

The real trick is to season the humidor properly and have enough humidification beads for the size. You can get battery operated fans that run a few minutes at a time to keep circulation or purchase an electric fan with a timer to save on electricity cost for circulation.

If you were to build one along this idea, this should keep your costs down, give you a project to work on and maybe have some fun with it?

just an idea, take it or leave it

cam when you start this make sure you post pics and let us know of your progress. I might be interested in doing something like this.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    go big, there's a 400 count footlocker or 300 count dome (like I have). Though they don't hold that many....
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    And make sure you put in proper temp/humidity controls:

• jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    Any easy solution is to bomb all the regulars here and make lifelong friends. I have seen some cheaper end table humidors but not sure what the count is on them. You could ask around at some local B&Ms or check craigslist. I honestly haven't seen anything that holds around 2000 cigars for less then $600 or $700. If you figure it out let us know and post some pics.
    jsnake:
    Any easy solution is to bomb all the regulars here and make lifelong friends. I have seen some cheaper end table humidors but not sure what the count is on them. You could ask around at some local B&Ms or check craigslist. I honestly haven't seen anything that holds around 2000 cigars for less then $600 or $700. If you figure it out let us know and post some pics.
    Yeah I've seen a 600ish well made cabinet on a site. Almost 800 with shipping, it was like 3000 count. I paid just over 900 for mine with shipping, though I have no place for it so I have it in storage in the garage.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    phobicsquirrel:
    jsnake:
    Yeah I've seen a 600ish well made cabinet on a site. Almost 800 with shipping, it was like 3000 count. I paid just over 900 for mine with shipping, though I have no place for it so I have it in storage in the garage.
    You could always store it at my house. I've got plenty of room!!!
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    That is a monster Cabinetmaker...NICE! How many can u store?
    Hawk55:
    I've had as many as 30 boxes in it with plenty of room for more. The drawers can hold 3-500 each loose, depending on size. I generally keep about 1000 on hand.
    Does that grand reserve push any cognac on the other cigars? Be careful there bud.
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 718
    cabinetmaker:
    Hawk55:
    I've had as many as 30 boxes in it with plenty of room for more. The drawers can hold 3-500 each loose, depending on size. I generally keep about 1000 on hand.

That's nuts...

phobicsquirrel:
    Does that grand reserve push any cognac on the other cigars? Be careful there bud.
    I keep it in with the Drew Estate Naturals... Partitioned off from everything else.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    I'm just going to have my new house built from cedar. Problem solved.
    Awesome...lots of space and everything in one place. Cool
  • RobRutkowskiRobRutkowski Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 67
    3 words:  Walk In Humidor.
  • JCargoJCargo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 13
    That looks amazing! I need one asap!
  • JCargoJCargo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 13
    Thank you for all the ideas guys. as far as wood working i perfer to spend my time off smoking not working... It appears as thoug I am going to have to just break down and buysomething though.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    Was perusing through ebay looking at pipe stuff (you guys stirred my interest) and I saw this. Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I'm sure it'll hold 2000 cigars.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cigar-Humidor_W0QQitemZ270513017458QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efbd51272
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,487
    Hey Jcargo pm sent
    cabinetmaker tell us a little more about that humidor...cost..where purchased...humidification...
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Hawk55:
    cabinetmaker tell us a little more about that humidor...cost..where purchased...humidification...
    Um, Hawk...he built it. "Cabinetmaker" wasn't a clue...? Lol
    Well you know, now that you mention it...it should have been...LOL