Home General Discussion

Cigars to the airport ?

The CankThe Cank Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 799
So I leave for Jamaica tomorrow and I want to take some nice sticks with me (including my opus X ) Now my question is.... If I throw some sticks in a ccom zip bag that all of us have gotten and toss a humi pillow in with it and throw it in my carry - on will they let me take them ? I will become quit hostile if they make me throw away 5 or 6 of my good sticks....

Comments

• haywood5150haywood5150 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 35
    From what I understand, carrying cigars in your carry on is okay. You can't have a cigar cutter in your carry on, but checked baggage is okay. And forget about bringing a torch lighter, can't have that on either carry on or checked baggage. You can carry one book of strike matches or a simple BIC lighter on your person, but thats it.

Enjoy your time in Jamaica
  • JdoraisJdorais Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 653
    You will have no problems carrying them on. I do it all the time. Oh and haywood is right about the cutter and torch lighter.
  • The CankThe Cank Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 799
    nice ! thanks guys. We are staying at the Sandals down there so i would hope they have a cigar cutter
  • chuck86chuck86 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 18
    The Cank:
    nice ! thanks guys. We are staying at the Sandals down there so i would hope they have a cigar cutter
    Never assume anything. It would absolutly suck if you got down there and there where no cutters in sight, and you left your perfectly good one back home. All I'm saying is be prepared for the worst if you don't bring your supplies.
    Ill throw a cutter in my big luggage just in case. Now question number two lets say " someone I may know " may want to bring some Cubans back with them...... what would the best way for that person to go about doing that ? ;-)
  • JZJZ Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 827
    I have flown international and domestic with as many as 20+ cigars in my carrying on. I have never had any issues. If you bring back some sticks from an island south of Florida, take off the bands. If you want the bands, stick them in your checked luggage or have someone your traveling with take them back for you.

The same holds true for cutters. It is listed on the TSA website as being accepted in your carry on. I havent had any problems thus far, but with the latest additions with terrorists activity I would take the cheap plastic ones that we all seem to have a million of.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
    chuck86:
    The Cank:
    Never assume anything. It would absolutly suck if you got down there and there where no cutters in sight, and you left your perfectly good one back home. All I'm saying is be prepared for the worst if you don't bring your supplies.
    If that place is truely "all inclusive" as they say it is they should be able to get you a cutter and lighter (or at least some matches).
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    I travel quite a bit and was actually just in Jamaica not too long ago. As for your cigars, they will give you zero trouble in your carry on. When you get to Jamaica, they too can care less. You can pack a cutter and a lighter in your regular bag that will be packed below. You don't want to buy a cutter or lighter at Sandals, if you do, bring some Vaseline because they will bend you over. When you come back, carry them on again, and when you get to the states, they will ask about your cigars, but they know the difference. (Most of the times they don't check and only ask if you have any cigars. You say yes, I have 10. They then ask if any are Cubans. You say no. They then say, welcome back to the states, you may go through.)

Four bits of advice. First, do not buy any cigars in Jamaica. Guys will be on the beach trying to sell you Cubans for $30 per. There is a 99.9% chance they are fakes. I'm sure you can talk him down to $10 or less, but they are still fakes. Secondly, I believe you are only allowed to bring 25 cigars back to the US so make sure you don't over pack, because you can only bring so many back. Thirdly, while at Sandals, if you are a beer drinker, you better get used to Red Stripe. It is all they have. Also, if you get a mixed drink, make sure you ask for a name brand of alcohol. If you don't, they put in the cheap stuff. Fourthly, when the sun goes down, smoke all you can. There are these little black bugs (like our mosquitoes) that will attack you but you can't feel them. Most of my family used bug spray (so pack that) and it obviously helps, but they still got hit pretty hard. I never touched the spray and only had my cigars and they never touched me. People that hate cigar smoke will be humping your leg just so they don't get hit. If you have any other question about Jamaica, PM me. I'll try to help if I can.
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 718
    undulac:
    ... People that hate cigar smoke will be humping your leg just so they don't get hit...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha lmfao!

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    I would wear shorts and a button up shirt, while your at it, don't wear underwear too, just in case the TSA wants to give you the goods.
  • bwcarter54bwcarter54 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 142
    The Cank:
    I've been to the Sandals Resort in Jamica. They have all kinds of find cigars and the cutters there. It's for the tourists, not the locals. The locals smoke but it ain't tobacco. Expect to get asked to buy the local brand of "tobacco" real quick. We got asked at the airport
    Very nice all ! thanks for all the advice. I am now brushing up on my fake cuban look a likes so hopefully i will be all good. I know there is a cigar shop down there called rainbow or something but don't know how trust worthy it is so if you guys say there is a cigar shop at the sandals then I will probably get them there. talk at ya when i get back !
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    The Cank:
    Very nice all ! thanks for all the advice. I am now brushing up on my fake cuban look a likes so hopefully i will be all good. I know there is a cigar shop down there called rainbow or something but don't know how trust worthy it is so if you guys say there is a cigar shop at the sandals then I will probably get them there. talk at ya when i get back !
    If you need to brush up on Cuban fakes you should not be buying Cubans there, even if they have legit there they'd be too few and far between.....when you are spending that kind of money do it here so you know you're getting the real deal, I can fully vouch for these guys I have spent many $$ here and they GUARANTEE worlwide delivery including the U.S: http://cigar-smoke.com/ I have found one of the misnomers people have on Cuban cigars people think they are cheaper in exotic lands, they are expensive and faked to death even in Cuba.......I have been to Jamaica however never tried to buy cigars there....what I can tell you is I have been to 5 star resorts many times in the Dominican and believe it or not the vendors that are actually allowed in the resort to setup and sell their wares even slide fakes in now these are vendors not the resort itself but you would think you wouldn't get scammed by people the resort actually let in maybe they just can't stay on top of it or just don't care who knows!!!!
  • SmokeeeSmokeee Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 221
    The Cank:
    They do!! We stayed at the one in Ocho Rios last Xmas (VERY nice resort!) but the cutter is a cheap piece of chit! It'll get the job done though... even says "Sandals" on it so makes a nice keepsake, but you wont want to use it any more than you HAVE to! Have a fun & safe trip!
    Im pretty good at spotting the fakes and I did pack a cutter so hopefully they dont snatch it but if they do its all good I have more ! Taking about 10 sticks with me so hopefully they don't feel like being stupid because i will not give them us easily.... Since you all seem to be saing to stay away from any cigars from down there I may just smoke what i take with me and be happy knowing I have some very fine cigars to smoke on the beach !
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    I can't see why they'd have a problem with a guillotine cutter, pretty hard to hurt someone with it... I have at least a dozen of the "disposables" so I'd throw two in different luggage pockets.
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    Last time I was at Beaches, the cheapest cigar in their shop was over $20 and I'm sure they weren't real good. For that money, I'd rather buy a sampler on here that I know will be good. Have a great time on your trip and remember, if you have one drink or a hundred, it's the same price.