Home Non Cigar Related

Senator Spills the Beans....

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
Senator Chris Dodd (D) says that he was asked by the obama admin to weaken an amendment he proposed that would restrict bonus's by companies that received Tarp. http://blogs.usatoday.com/onpolitics/2009/03/dodds-aig-probl.html

At least he's come clean with that. Though I find it sickening that even GOVT cannot combat the corporate takeover. At least England has figured out some stuff...http://www.eubusiness.com/news-eu/britain-france.1w8

Comments

• TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    This is going to sound odd to most, so let me attempt to explain my thoughts as clearly as possible. First off, I don't beleive our government should be giving any money to any business, especially failing ones. I believe the government exists to provide an environment of free economics - not to mettle with it. BUT. Knowing that is never going to actually happen since government in general seeks more and more power, and since they are going to give our money to failing companies regardless of how I feel about it, it should be up to the business to decide what it is going to do with that money.

If our government has decided it trusts a company enough to give them millions of dollars, they should trust the judgement of that company to spend it where it needs it. If that means giving out bonuses - then so be it. There are certain people in the business world who absolutely deserve every penny of million dollar bonuses. Much like certain basketball players deserve every penny as well. The reason is that there are very, very few people in this world who have the ability to do what they do. Whether that is making a 3-pointer at the buzzer or making billion-dollar business decisions, there are only a select few with the balls to do it. They are worth the millions they are paid. Course I would much rather the government just stay out of our lives, but that's just not going to happen, now is it?
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    that's something I hear a lot.... very few people in this world who can do what they do! WTF does that mean? That's BS that's all it is. If letting companies continue to go downward and lose money? I don't see any companies out there who are running business's well, well let me just say these huge ones. Many years ago a company existed to grow not appease the short term. Why has there been so much problem with corporate America? Well simply the workforce is not treated well and the business ethics that were established back in the 40's have gone out the window. I know several people who run their own business and treat their emplyees very well and are very organized. And they don't have many people doing all their work, they do it themselves.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    So are we starting to realize what really runs America?
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    been for a while, sort of like the early 1900's...
  • Garen BGaren B Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 977
    Hawk55:
    So are we starting to realize what really runs America?
    Guys in suits with tinfoil hats?
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    First off, I don't beleive our government should be giving any money to any business, especially failing ones.
    They shouldn't be spending money on ANYTHING not delineated in the Constitution. No social services, no bread and circuses.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    Wow a strict constructionist, we are so few any more I am feeling I am endangered. The Nanny society rules right now. I think the ultimate collapse of the system is enevitable.