Home General Discussion

Owner of one of my local B&Ms

bacon.jaybacon.jay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 718
I stopped into my north B&M with a buddy of mine after the Cavs game today and the owner, Darrin Hildebrand was back from his trip down south to Nicaragua.

The last time I was at the shop, he was still down south, and the guy minding the shop while Darrin was away told me he was meeting with Nestor Plasencia, the maker of such brands as Cuba Libre and one of Nicaragua's biggest cigar-tobacco growers, to buy rolling stock. Well, I asked Darrin how his trip went, and he started telling me about how he got to hang out with Jonathan Drew of Drew Estate Cigars at his house!!

I also asked him how the meeting and the buy went with Nestor Plasencia and he said it was a lot of fun, got to hang out with all of them while he was down there, and talked about how his four cigar factory tours, box factory tour, and tobacco plantation tour went. He came back with 50 lbs of rolling tobacco in a suitcase, and his next trip down will be in March he thinks.

I just thought I'd share the story with you guys because I thought it was interesting. I haven't had the opportunity to try any of his blends yet, but I have several in my humidor resting and aging, and hopefully this coming spring and summer I will crack one out and try it.

Comments

• ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
    I have read several stories like this, all saying how hospitible and friendly these guys are. I plan to take a weekend trip to Miami soon to visit some factories. Hopefully I get a chance to meet some of the guys there.
  • RobRutkowskiRobRutkowski Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 67
    Jay, have you been to Cousins in Beachwood?
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 718
    RobRutkowski:

To tell you the truth, I'm not really sure I know where Beachwood is, so no, but my buddy told me about a really big shop in Avon Lake that was pretty nice that he and his girlfriend went to on New Years Day. I usually go to Sandusky Bay Cigars from my first post, or to a small one in Mansfield, and I've been a couple times to another in the North Olmstead/Cleveland area that's pretty nice called Cigar Cigars.

Sometime within the next couple months a few of the other forum members and I are going to go to one over in Akron that Kuzi frequents and have a herf. Maybe you should look into it if you haven't already?

EDIT: Googled Cousins and Beachwood and seem to remember seeing it on Poynt when I was trying to find a shop up thataway, but ended up going to Cigar Cigars because it was closer. Is that your usual shop and do you live in the area?

• RobRutkowskiRobRutkowski Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 67
    bacon.jay:
    RobRutkowski:

To tell you the truth, I'm not really sure I know where Beachwood is, so no, but my buddy told me about a really big shop in Avon Lake that was pretty nice that he and his girlfriend went to on New Years Day. I usually go to Sandusky Bay Cigars from my first post, or to a small one in Mansfield, and I've been a couple times to another in the North Olmstead/Cleveland area that's pretty nice called Cigar Cigars.

Sometime within the next couple months a few of the other forum members and I are going to go to one over in Akron that Kuzi frequents and have a herf. Maybe you should look into it if you haven't already?

EDIT: Googled Cousins and Beachwood and seem to remember seeing it on Poynt when I was trying to find a shop up thataway, but ended up going to Cigar Cigars because it was closer. Is that your usual shop and do you live in the area?

I'm on the south side of Cleveland, but I do get to Cousins now and then.  What's the name of the place in Akron? 

• bacon.jaybacon.jay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 718
    RobRutkowski:
    bacon.jay:
    RobRutkowski:

I'm on the south side of Cleveland, but I do get to Cousins now and then.  What's the name of the place in Akron? 
    Rob, the one in Akron we're all planning on going to is called The Village Tobacconist. Kuzi swears by this shop, as does Brandon. Here's a link to the thread with the plans for the trip I was referring to. It kinda gets lost every now and then. Haha.

• Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    bacon.jay:
    RobRutkowski:
    bacon.jay:
    RobRutkowski:

Rob, the one in Akron we're all planning on going to is called The Village Tobacconist. Kuzi swears by this shop, as does Brandon. Here's a link to the thread with the plans for the trip I was referring to. It kinda gets lost every now and then. Haha.

Rob you should def. come there are a few of us that are planning on making the trip down from Michigan.