Home General Discussion

Cigar Savor question

undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
I have been searching for an hour now and can't seem to get anywhere. I am looking for a cigar savor tube which I can't find. If anyone can give me a hand let me thank you in advance. Due to the weather I'm getting sick of throwing half smoked cigars away because I have to leave them for a few hours.

Comments

• Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    The only thing that I can suggest is that you get a tubed cigar and reuse it. I think Makers Mark or was it Dewars (sp) had a glass tube that you could reseal with a cork type topper. Not too expensive but I have no idea about the cigar inside....been meaning to try one.
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967

I haven't heard of saving a cigar for more than an hour or 2. The usual result is a bad tasting stick after it sits for any longer than that, and a tube with no air will only make that taste worse.

The one thing that I could suggest is to use a cigar cutter and cut the cigar bout a half inch beyond the burn and then put it back into a small humidor or even a zip-lock style bag with a humi-pillow until you have the time to finish the smoke. A sharp cutter might not cause the wrapper to unravel, if you're lucky.

camgfs:

I haven't heard of saving a cigar for more than an hour or 2. The usual result is a bad tasting stick after it sits for any longer than that, and a tube with no air will only make that taste worse.

The one thing that I could suggest is to use a cigar cutter and cut the cigar bout a half inch beyond the burn and then put it back into a small humidor or even a zip-lock style bag with a humi-pillow until you have the time to finish the smoke. A sharp cutter might not cause the wrapper to unravel, if you're lucky.

Details details....if you are gonna get all technical make sure you blow the smoke out of it after you cut the end off. I guess the other options are ok too but I don't think I would put it back into my humidor unless you don't mind that smell in there.
  • Garen BGaren B Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 977
    Sandman1am:
    camgfs:

Details details....if you are gonna get all technical make sure you blow the smoke out of it after you cut the end off. I guess the other options are ok too but I don't think I would put it back into my humidor unless you don't mind that smell in there.
    Adding to what these two said, don't throw the half smoked cigar in another humi, it'll taint the other cigars in it. Just use a plastic bag that's not sealed or a tupperware (that you aren't using for other cigar storage) to put the stick in and then place the lid on it but don't seal it. You need a place to let the nasty fumes vent or you're just going to have a cigar that tastes nasty.

Above all, experiment and see what works for you.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    camgfs:

I don't "save" cigars for the reasons camgfs mentions, I simply can't get past the harsh ashy taste. They seem to get musty if I go back to them. But the zip-lock bag suggestion seems as though it would be an effective way of getting an extra burn out of your cigars.
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    camgfs:

and then put it back into a small humidor or even a zip-lock style bag with a humi-pillow .

I should have been more specific, sorry. When I said to put it into a small humidor, I mean one like a cigar jar, or something that you would not use for your sticks, but only to hold them until you will finish your cigar. The 'used cigar' smell would ruin a humidor imo. Sorry if I mislead anyone on that.

• EdGeinSlayerEdGeinSlayer Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5
    I usualy just get as much ash off with the bottom of a lighter using a light scraping motion,then blow a few puffs through the cigar,and then re light. The first couple puffs taste a little funky, but the taste returns to normal after that IMO. For storing ive just done the first couple steps mentioned above, then put the cigar in a sealed ziplock bag and stashed it in my humidor. Doesnt seem to mess with the taste of my other cigars. Works for me.
    Or you could just try to smoke nubs or smaller cigars if you think you might be getting called away. That way you don't have to worry about all this.
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    I've tried a couple different methods to extend the length of my smoke time. I've had the most success with cutting the lit foot off, far enough so that there is no more char on the end. Then I blow through the stick a couple times, expelling the stale smoke. Ziplock bag from there, but NOT in my humi - I did this once, and it took me a week to get the stale smell from my humi, even though the bag was sealed. Relight as normal, but within the day... I've had no success storing sticks overnight.
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    Let me rephrase this because I think I am sending people down the wrong track. My cousin has this tube that he puts a lit cigar in and it goes out almost instantly (can't get in touch with him). He can put it in his pocket and then bring it inside (out of the heat/cold) with zero odor. I found one made by Cigar Savor but I can't find anywhere to buy it. I figured somebody might have one and give me some insight. I smoke a lot in the car and I hate to leave a lit cigar in the car while I run into a store for ten minutes. If I leave it outside, this 5 degree weather kills it in that short of time.
    undulac:
    Let me rephrase this because I think I am sending people down the wrong track. My cousin has this tube that he puts a lit cigar in and it goes out almost instantly (can't get in touch with him). He can put it in his pocket and then bring it inside (out of the heat/cold) with zero odor. I found one made by Cigar Savor but I can't find anywhere to buy it. I figured somebody might have one and give me some insight. I smoke a lot in the car and I hate to leave a lit cigar in the car while I run into a store for ten minutes. If I leave it outside, this 5 degree weather kills it in that short of time.
    Never heard of such a contraption. What was it called? Let me know what you find out I might be interested in getting one. Ok just looked it up and found something that might be what you were looking for. Bad news was that they were sold out....kinda expensive at $32 before shipping.
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    FOUND ONE!! If you are interested, I found some on ebay. I'm too lazy to look up how to post a link so here is the url.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ShotShell-Cigar-Savor-Travel-Case-LOWEST-PRICE_W0QQitemZ390098488346QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad3ae8c1a
  • badge54fdbadge54fd Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 242
    Undulac

pm sent

• nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 720
    On the topic of saving a Cigar... I found this... what do you ladies and gents think?

RePuff
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    I couldn't find an explanation of how it works ...did I miss something ?
  • bbc020bbc020 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,422
    gmill880:
    It's magic.

If it actually does work, seems pretty interesting. I would love to see how/when it was applied to those sticks.
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 720
    bbc020:
    gmill880:
    It's magic.

If it actually does work, seems pretty interesting. I would love to see how/when it was applied to those sticks.

Phew. I thought I was going crazy. I'm still unsure about it even after reading their website, but I don't know. We need a BOTL to test it out.

Not it!