Home General Discussion

Cigar Inventory Tracking

Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
Been looking through a few of the threads trying to find a comprehensive program or spreadsheet for tracking cigar inventory. Downloaded something called the Cigar Register which from the look seemed like it would be adequate...I have been unable to get it to work. Can someone supply information on a database or program they are using that works?

Comments

• KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    I downloaded "Cigar Register" succesfully and works pretty well. I also have an Excel spreadsheet which I think would be the easiest to set up to track your cigars.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    KC I am having trouble adding a humidor to the list> It keeps saying invalid number...
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    Register looked pretty, but I don't know anyone who actually had any success with it.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    I've used Cigar Register for quite a while and like it very well. It takes quite a bit of playing with it to learn how it functions because there aren't a lot of instructions for it. All I can suggest is to spend some time with it and you'll eventually figure it out. I did.

One of the nice features is what they call the 'smoke room' where you can rate how well you liked a given cigar in terms of flavor, body, etc. so you can refer back to it later.

Another feature allows you to add a given cigar to the database if it isn't already in there.

All in all, I give it good marks.

Marty

• clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    Hawk55:
    KC I am having trouble adding a humidor to the list> It keeps saying invalid number...
    I just downloaded it and started playing with it to see what was happening and I'm getting the same thing Hawk. Keeps saying invalid number regardless of what I try to add.
  • Joel H.Joel H. Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 101
    Were do i find this cigar registry? I have been looking for something just like this to keep track of the smokes.
  • beardedcanadianbeardedcanadian Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 86

Downloaded it a week or so ago, it wouldn't work at all...tried all the forums on their site and did what they said and it won't even load...pen and paper may be the way to go for me. I would like a good spreadsheet if anyone has one they would be willing to part with. :)

Go to the home page there are some instructions for loading it in Vista...still need to spend some time with it to learn how it works...Pen and paper may be the simplest and easiest.
    clearlysuspect:
    Hawk55:
    I just downloaded it and started playing with it to see what was happening and I'm getting the same thing Hawk. Keeps saying invalid number regardless of what I try to add.

I don't remember exactly how I got around that 'invalid' stuff before but I DO remember that I had to be in the right mode before it would accept things like a new humidor, etc.

Marty

• clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    jlmarta:
    clearlysuspect:
    Hawk55:

I don't remember exactly how I got around that 'invalid' stuff before but I DO remember that I had to be in the right mode before it would accept things like a new humidor, etc.

Marty

I'm not sure where to do this. The drop down menus at the top "File" "Edit" etc etc... have nothing to them. Pretty much everything I try to do, I get some kinda stupid pop up box telling me a I did something wrong. Think I'll just stick to my Xcel spreadsheet.
    Hawk55:
    Go to the home page there are some instructions for loading it in Vista...still need to spend some time with it to learn how it works...Pen and paper may be the simplest and easiest.

I the instructions for the Vista setup and it still didn't work.

I think I will stick to a spreadsheet.
    I am still trying to get it to work...I agree that it works but you have to be in a certain "node" to get it to accept things> I got my humidors listed by only entering a name for it and then later adding the other stuff t it. But now it wont let me add cigars....
    clearlysuspect:
    Hawk55:
    It isn't likeing one of the numbers in the one or more of the fields. Try NO decimals and rounding up.
    Okay, try this: on the left edge of the window, click on 'cigar database'. Once you're in that mode you should have some icons up at the top of the left edge - one of them representing a humidor with a green 'plus' sign on it. When you put your cursor on that icon, an identifying tag will read "New Humidor". When you click on that icon, a box should open where you fill in the pertinent info regarding the new humidor.

When you click on 'My Cigars' at the lower left edge, you'll notice that the icons at the top change a bit. You can still add a humidor, but the 'delete humidor' icon is greyed out so you can't use it.

A safety tip: If you've established more than one humidor and want to delete one of them for any reason, BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL where you're at, mode-wise, before you try to delete it. If you do it wrong you'll delete your whole inventory.

To delete a specific humidor, you have to be in 'My Cigars' mode. Then, click on the humi you want to delete. It will highlight. Once it's highlighted, you'll notice that the 'delete humidor' icon is no longer greyed out and can now be used. If you try to delete a humi any other way, BE SURE you double check the name of the humi selected to be deleted before you click on "Delete". The box defaults to 'Cigar Collection' which is your whole inventory. You could lose all your hard work.

This is an example of what I meant when I said you have to be in the right mode to do certain things. Hope this helps.

Marty

Here's another tidbit or two for ya. First, I definitely remember something about Vista not being the perfect host for this software. Luckily, I've got XP.

Secondly, it seems like a major sticking point for some of you guys is in creating a new humidor and getting the 'invalid number' jazz. It reminds me of my old Psych professor who referred to what he called the "GADFFC" - the Great American Desire to Fill out a Form Completely. It isn't necessary to stress over that. Hell, you can create a humidor with nothing more than a name. And if you're going to have more than 1 humi, call 'em 'humi 1' and 'humi 2' and forget about the measurements. After all, as long as you understand what you created nobody else needs to, do they? You're not going to be graded on your work, are you?

I think the guys who wrote the software for Cigar Register felt like they had to include some things for the anal retentives out there who just HAVE to stress over something so they'd have something to play with. Like the song says, "Don' worry - be happy"

Marty

• RobRutkowskiRobRutkowski Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 67
    When I first read this thread I was wondering why anyone would need to do this (unless they ran their own B&M).  The comment about rating the cigar in the database makes much more sense.  I'm keeping it all in my head right now, but I could see years down the road forgetting that I didn't like a particular cigar.
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    Mind if I ask:

• What features are you looking for in a cigar tracking system?
    • Would you all mind if the 'review' section could be viewed by everyone?
    • Would you use it if it were easy to update?
    • Would you want private login for your section of the DataBase?

I will take me a while to get around to it, but I am working on something for my personal use that is web-based. I plan to use it to keep count of my cigars, what I have smoked, how many I have left and my personal reviews on the cigars I've already tried. All info to be kept in an online database (secure). A simple web form would be used to add or subtract from the totals, and to write/post reviews to help me know what sticks I liked or disliked. I would be happy to include suggestions from this forum into the program.

Rob..just asking. How many cigars do you have? How many have you smoked and have you rated/reviewed all of them and do you remember your experience? How many humidors do you have and do you remember what is in each one? I am sure none of the BOTL here own a B&M, but I guarantee you there are those approaching a thousand or more stiks.... Now with that said...if you have more than a hundred cigars would you not want to track how many you have how old they are and where they are? I would, that's why I would like to be able to track my inventory...thats just me.
  • RobRutkowskiRobRutkowski Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 67
    Hawk55:
    Rob..just asking. How many cigars do you have? How many have you smoked and have you rated/reviewed all of them and do you remember your experience? How many humidors do you have and do you remember what is in each one? I am sure none of the BOTL here own a B&M, but I guarantee you there are those approaching a thousand or more stiks.... Now with that said...if you have more than a hundred cigars would you not want to track how many you have how old they are and where they are? I would, that's why I would like to be able to track my inventory...thats just me.

I'm a noob.  I have 3 humidors:  a 300, a 150 & a 25, but I just got into this hobby last summer.  I probably have 200 or so cigars.  I haven't been rating and reviewing religiously, just here and there.

You may have a point here.  I might have to take a look at this software or at least list my sticks on an excel spreadsheet.  I'm already figuring out what I like and what I don't.  Doing an inventory might be a logical next step for me.
    Or at least keep a log and make entries after you finsih smoking...so that you can go back later and see what your experience was with a particulat stik. Later on if you decide to use a spreadsheet you can just transfer data from the log to your spreadsheet. Makes remembering easy. Just read some of the threads and you can get a general idea how the Brothers have started modestly with one or two humidors and grown into multiple humidors and coolerdors...tupperdors and cabinets...
  • AyatoAyato Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 53
    If any of you have an iPod Touch or iPhone I found a great app to use for a cigar inventory. It is called Mobile Stogie. You can have multiple humidors and it has a large database of cigars, even Cuban, to scroll through. You can add any cigars that may not already be on the list. It has spots for purchase dates, where you purchased, price paid, and notes on what you thought of the cigar. Nothing fancy but it works and your whole inventory is always at your fingertips.
    camgfs:
    Mind if I ask:

This is not to say that what you're working on won't be better than Cigar Register, but you might possibly be just re-inventing the wheel. One of the features of Cigar Register is a means to synchronize, online, your data with that of other Cigar Register users. You might want to chaek that out before you put a lot of effort into your task.

Marty

• kaelariakaelaria Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 572
    Yup - already done and been around a while web based. I did a video review of these kinds of apps last year, unfortunately there are no good 64 bit OS workarounds. I have not used anything since launching my website, I simply use that. If I didn't have it I would still be using Cigar Register web based, it works fine. http://www.cigartower.com
    camgfs:
    Mind if I ask:

I would like to be able to; Know what I have, When I put them in the humi., Where I got them, How much I paid and WHAT THE REGULAR PRICE IS, How much I bought, Country of Manufacture, Size, Ring, Wrapper, Binder, Filler, a Picture, Hyperlinks to reviews, My review/rating, Recommendation for future purchase (or not).(I'm sure I'll remember something else later).
    jlmarta:
    camgfs:
    Mind if I ask:

This is not to say that what you're working on won't be better than Cigar Register, but you might possibly be just re-inventing the wheel. One of the features of Cigar Register is a means to synchronize, online, your data with that of other Cigar Register users. You might want to chaek that out before you put a lot of effort into your task.

Marty

I guess I will have to check it out. From what I read here, many users are having trouble using this app. What I am talking about has no .exe file, nothing to install and won't care if you are on a 64 bit machine, what browser you have OR what operating system you run on your computer. I'm talking about a purely 'web-based' database. When I have a 'working' example of what I mean, I will post a link for BOTL to try it and give feedback.

As for my time on this project, it will make a perfect "homework project" for me in the near future. I'm taking a few years off to go back to school and get my "Web Based Computer Programming" degree. Any projects I work on now will help me later, so I think this will be fun.

KCW:
    I would like to be able to; Know what I have, When I put them in the humi., Where I got them, How much I paid and WHAT THE REGULAR PRICE IS, How much I bought, Country of Manufacture, Size, Ring, Wrapper, Binder, Filler, a Picture, Hyperlinks to reviews, My review/rating, Recommendation for future purchase (or not).(I'm sure I'll remember something else later).

Thank you. There are things on that list that I had not thought of.

• martymcg43martymcg43 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 396
    i downloaded Cigar Register but it will not work on my computer keeps coming up with a bunch of different errors. damned vista... i believe it's something to do with the program being a 32 bit program and my computer running a 64 bit...
    camgfs:
    KCW:

Thank you. There are things on that list that I had not thought of.

I have the same problem, I don't think it is the architecture of the OS, VISTA will run 32 bit programs as well, and they have a fix for it on the website, I just don't think the App was made well.

Then I guess I'd better get off my lazy a$$ and get this done! lol.

• LeftFiveLeftFive Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 181
    A feature that would be nice, but not essential, is the ability to add friends and browse their databases, and a way to tag cigars you'd be interested in trading.