Home General Discussion

Bird's Eye Maple & Ebony Humidor Build

WaxingMoonWaxingMoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 328
About a week ago, one of our BOTL, who wants to be anonymous, commissioned me to make a humidor out of Bird's Eye Maple and Ebony.... Two very fine examples of premium wood... Any woodworker's dream, really! This fellow pretty much ordered all the bells and whistles on this one... We're still working through the inerds.... Anyway.... It all started out with "here's what I want".... I then went out to the B&M of the lumber world.... and picked out a couple of fine pieces of Bird's Eye Maple. I saw the box in one piece, and the lid in the other piece.... Fantastic grain on that piece... image He said - "make it as big as you can with the wood you have"... which wound up being overall dims, 23"x12 3/4" x 7.5" So, that's what we did. But, first I wanted to draw it up to make sure I didn't screw up any of the cuts.... image Then, started to cut it up and laminate some of the pieces together... image When you can get it to stand up and stay like that without any glue, then you're cuts were pretty much dead on.... that's a good feeling.... And I glued up the lid. Focusing on that grain pattern... bring it up, front and center. image I'll probably work on the rest of the lid next..... I have to fit that big chunk in to the middle of the lid frame..... and, it's all going to be beveled, so I'll leave as much meat as I can before the bevel cuts. It really pays to draw it out first.....

Comments