Home General Discussion

Tracking Your Cigars

sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130

I've been keeping a spreadsheet of all the cigars I've purchased. I have columns noting when I received it, how many of each blend, vitola and other pertinent info. This helps me keep track of what I've tried and lets me know how long my cigars have been resting. Plus, it really makes me happy when I see the "quantity left" total at the bottom of the page. (or does it make me sad?)

Anyways, I wanted to see how you guys keep track of your smokes. Spreadsheet? Notebook? Programmed your own database? Third-party software? Gray matter?

Comments

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Spreadsheet.... can't remember who PM'd it to me though.
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    "Gray Matter" for now. I plan to build my own online resource database that will hold all of my info on personal cigars. That way I could do a search of my own database to see what I have left, what I liked and view my notes on each of those cigars, kinda like the "review" section for cigars on this site. It's on my "to-do" list.

• GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    I recently went through my cashe and made a spreadsheet just to record what cigars I have and how many of each are there. As for keeping track of the resting date, I prefer to use a sticker placed on the gar with the date on it. That way when I send out a trades the people can see how long they have been resting.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130

camgfs:
    "Gray Matter" for now. I plan to build my own online resource database that will hold all of my info on personal cigars. That way I could do a search of my own database to see what I have left, what I liked and view my notes on each of those cigars, kinda like the "review" section for cigars on this site. It's on my "to-do" list.

That sounds absolutely fantastic. Not sure about the others, but I think I would be willing to pitch in if I could use it. Is it hard to set up? What kind of language do you use to program it?

• denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    I have a humidor, it has cigars in it, it's full. when it's not full i will get more. pretty complicated
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    I have an Excel Spreadsheet. I'm not as advanced as you obviously. Mine does not track inventory. Just a picture of the cigar (which is also a Hyperlink to where I bought it), When I purchased it (then I know it went into the Humi within a weeks time of that date), vitola, price I paid, Links to any reviews, Wrapper, Binder, Filler and my rating and any other comments.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    dennisking:
    I have a humidor, it has cigars in it, it's full. when it's not full i will get more. pretty complicated
    lol exactly. I also buy a lot of boxes so the singles I have are usually fodder for a box or are things I can't get boxes of and get plenty of them. I'm running low on singles of whom I haven't had yet which will determine if I buy a box of them. When my boxes get low, time to get another. Pretty simple.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130

dennisking:

Wait.....wait........ok, one more time.

• jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    If you've got the time and enjoy playing around on your 'puter, have a look at: http://www.cigarregister.com/. There aren't a lot of instructions to giude you but if you play with it enough you'll see that it's pretty d@mned comprehensive as to what it'll do and what it won't.

I've used it for quite some time, now and like it very well.

Marty

• ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
    I write everything down in a small notebook for now. When I get home and have my own computer I will use a spreadsheet. I kinda like the notebook though, it's the perfect size. The only bad thing about it is every time I smoke something I have to cross off the number and it can get messy...
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    sightunseen:

camgfs:

That sounds absolutely fantastic. Not sure about the others, but I think I would be willing to pitch in if I could use it. Is it hard to set up? What kind of language do you use to program it?

I have my own website with plenty of space to work on a small project like this one. When I get it set up, I'll post a link in this forum to a working "example". Languages involved would be basic html or xhtml, some MySQL for the database commands and PHP, all of which are free and will work with my web server.

The plan would be to create a simple form for entries of info, like 'cigar name', 'size', 'purchase details', 'review' and 'quantity'. Just for laughts, I can create user accounts for 'contributing' members or whatever...giving access to use the forms to write to a database table that only you can view from your account.

I know all this sounds a bit 'nerdy', but I did work for 5 years building all of the "E-Learning" material for a large national company, so I've got some insight into how this could be done for pretty darn cheap......and it will give me a project to work on since I may not be able to work for several more years..and have already been off work since March 09. :( I make no promisses, but I'm going to give this a try, just for me even if no one else is interrested. I'll let you know how it turns out.

• jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    dennisking:
    Same here. Spreadsheet is too time consuming for me and I usually buy samplers and the rare box on sale. I tend to have 1 of each stick most of the time.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023

jsnake:
    dennisking:
    Same here. Spreadsheet is too time consuming for me and I usually buy samplers and the rare box on sale. I tend to have 1 of each stick most of the time.

This is me also. I keep one humidor with two sticks of each group I purchase and keep them for special occassion. It has a great selection of many different sticks. The other humidors I keep the rest and use them for my daily consumption.

• shamrockedshamrocked Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 285
    I just keep track of my using an excel spreadsheet - i actually like the idea of taking pictures of the cigars and hyperlinking them - unfortunately i havent had a lot of time to record my notes on each cigar which i'd really like to start doing