Home General Discussion

What do you do with your cigar labels??

bacon.jaybacon.jay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 718
Other than pitch them, or paste them in a notebook with a review. I have been saving my labels ever since 4 and a half years ago when I started smoking cigars, and I'm trying to think of a project that I can use them for. I've seen humidors with labels glued and lacquered-over on the lid, but I'm looking for other ideas as well. If anyone has some interesting ideas for cigar label projects or conversation pieces, post them here!! Pictures of projects you may have done would also be great!!!

Comments

• KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    I've been saving mine too. For what? I'm really not sure yet... But I always figured some time in the future I would do something with them. Maybe glue them all to something and frame them. Right now I just put them on the sticky side of a Post It note w/ the date I smoked it, tasting notes, my personal rating, etc. It keeps them flat and I put all the Post Its in a Zip Lock until I can figure out what to do with them. (I'm glad you posted this. My Wife thinks I'm crazy. She says, What are going to do with all of these?" At least I can say I'm not the only one).
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    I love the intricacies some of the labels. I save a bunch of mine as well. For what reason I don't know.
  • JdoraisJdorais Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 653
    how about making a lamp? Buy a plain white lamp base and paste on the labels. Or do what my B&M did; use them as christmas tree decorations. The tree was only 1 foot tall. And plastic. Cheesy, but kind different.
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 718
    Jdorais:
    how about making a lamp? Buy a plain white lamp base and paste on the labels....

I was thinking about doing something like this, but I am leaning more towards either a piece of furniture, or maybe an abstract artsy box or sculpture you might find on a coffee table or side table. I'm just bouncing ideas around in my head and thought I'd ask if anyone else has done something similar.

• Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    Some of the artwork used on the bands are quite interesting...the ones I really like I will paste in my cigar log opposite the page I do my personal review on> For everyy cigar I smoke I have a log/journal entry that I have kept from the very beginnibg. i think the bands are a nice addition.
  • T. GervaisT. Gervais Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 239
    I usually toss my bands when I finish a cigar, but what I did recently was saved about a half dozen bands from my favorite sticks and made a bookmark out of 'em.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i have a bag i keep em all in.

i just gave away mine a month or two ago so i dont have that many any more.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    I have framed a couple of montages of mine. Pics are way to hard to post here or I would post them. I am going to put the rest into a scrap book and have been saving a lot of them. The artwork on some is great and others just spark good memories.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    I'm going to build a bar and cover the entire top of it with all the cigar bands, then lay a glass over the top of it and seal it off so no moisture can get in.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
    PuroFreak:
    I'm going to build a bar and cover the entire top of it with all the cigar bands, then lay a glass over the top of it and seal it off so no moisture can get in.
    I love this idea! I have been saving mine for a while now and I had no idea why. I think you just answered that one for me.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    ejenne87:
    PuroFreak:
    I love this idea! I have been saving mine for a while now and I had no idea why. I think you just answered that one for me.
    when you guys are about to do that, if you are a few short just get a hold of me. ill hook it up for ya.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    I have a cool antique end table that I pulled out of the dumpster a couple months ago. It's in great structural shape. I mainly pulled it out because I wanted to teach myself how to sand, restain, and finish pieces of furniture like that. It's been holding ashtray on the patio and I still plan on doing all that, except I plan on covering the top with my labels and doing some kind of laquer over them. Not sure how to do all this, but that's the whole point.
  • HugemooseHugemoose Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 458
    I really need to collect mine in an orderly fashion. Right now my desk and dresser, coat and sweatshirt pockets are just littered with labels.

And I like the idea about that bar. I think I'll adopt that as my reason to hang onto all of these labels!
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    I have always wanted collect band but I have never had a reason to do so. I might try to top a table now that you put the idea in my head...
    If I had my own place and the space I'd do a bar top, but since I don't I have to do something smaller. Sucks, but.... ya know.

• camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    bacon.jay:
    If I had my own place and the space I'd do a bar top, but since I don't I have to do something smaller. Sucks, but.... ya know.

If you are looking for a smaller project, how about this:

Take an exacto knife and cut some of your cigar bands into little srtips. Using a glue that won't damage your backup cigar cutter (I have a Xikar that I am going to use for this), patiently glue the strips to your cutter. Do everything except the cutting blades or any buttons used to operate the cutter. Once your entire cutter is painstakingly covered in strips of cigar bands, apply a lacker (hardwood floor finish will work). No more than 3 coats and sand lightly between coats......and I do mean lightly so you don't destroy your hard work

Experiment with a simple piece of wood or plastiic until you feel comfortable working on a cigar cutter. You can also get artistic with colours, patterns and such by using many different labels. The entire project should take a couple hours and it will give you a feel for the patience you may need to do an entire bar top.

• One2gofstOne2gofst Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 583
    My girlfriend wants to make coasters with the lables in them. Whatever.
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    I have been saving all of mine since this summer. I enjoy seeing what I have tried. I really wanted to do the notebook with notes so I could keep them all straight and go back to the ones I love. Interesting ideas here. Someday I would like to have a small bar at home and putting them under glass on top sounds like a really cool idea.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    I just filled my second cigar box with labels... man I need to do something with these... lol
  • MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 356
    jsnake:
    I have been saving all of mine since this summer. I enjoy seeing what I have tried. I really wanted to do the notebook with notes so I could keep them all straight and go back to the ones I love.

I wanted to do the notebook thing when I first started out just under an year ago.

Now I just throw the bands away =/
    One2gofst:

This actually sounds like a cool thing to do with them. Might feel a little girly actually doing it, but i'd put my beer or coffee or scotch on a cigar label coaster in my man cave if I had them.

• ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
    bacon.jay:
    One2gofst:

This actually sounds like a cool thing to do with them. Might feel a little girly actually doing it, but i'd put my beer or coffee or scotch on a cigar label coaster in my man cave if I had them.

I like this idea too. It would go well with the bar idea.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    If anyone has any labels they are not using that are in good condition I am getting ready to start my table top soon. I do not have nearly enough and could use some help filling it.