Home General Discussion

Culebras

4bob44bob4 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 212
I've got a few good friends that I smoke with on a semi regular occasion (and golf with even more rarely) and would like to split a culebra amongst the three of us. I can't seem to find one for sale anywhere. Anyone got a lead on some?

Comments

• PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    I know Drew Estate makes one called the Medusa, if you shoot me a PM I can tell ya where to order one. A buddy of mine picked up a Tatuaje Culebra from our local shop and I'm looking forward to trying that one.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    Ccom is selling the Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet culebra. I've never had one. Curious to know how it is.
  • bbc020bbc020 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,422
    I've seen the Illusione Culebra for sale...pm me if you want any info
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    And if you pm me, I can direct you towards the La Flor Dominicana culebra.
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 718
    j0z3r:
    And if you pm me, I can direct you towards the La Flor Dominicana culebra.

I was gonna say the same thing but you beat me to it joz3r. Davidoff I think has a culebra as well, but I don't know if Ccom carries it, or where you'd get it if they don't.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    bbc020:
    I've seen the Illusione Culebra for sale...pm me if you want any info
    im closer to that one than you are. PM ME for that one. also i could get the Davidoff one for about 40ish. LFD makes one that i have seen once but i may be able to order.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    mmmm.... what's a culebra????
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    I actually just looked into the medusa because it was on sale for $10 on another site. A quick search and a few reviews later, I decided it probably wasn't worth the $10 for anything more than a display piece. Heard good things about the others listed here though.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    40 bucks for a cigar!!!! ouch....
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    clearlysuspect:
    mmmm.... what's a culebra????
    A Culebra, which means snake in Spanish, is three small ring gauge cigars, usually a panatela shape, braided into one. You separate the single Culebra and have three cigars to smoke.

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    looks like poo.....
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
    phobicsquirrel:
    looks like poo.....
    delicious poo though, where can I find one of those?! haha
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    OK, I've seen Culebras on websites before, but never seen one in person. But I just gotta ask: what's the point? If you split it up into 3 seperate cigars, why not just buy 3 regular cigars? Once you seperate them, do the individual cigars stay all twisty and curved? Seems like something like that wouldn't smoke very well. Inquiring minds want to know!
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    You know i kinda want to smoke it like one cigar... are there reviews any where?
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 718
    Heavy:
    OK, I've seen Culebras on websites before, but never seen one in person. But I just gotta ask: what's the point? If you split it up into 3 seperate cigars, why not just buy 3 regular cigars? Once you seperate them, do the individual cigars stay all twisty and curved? Seems like something like that wouldn't smoke very well. Inquiring minds want to know!

It's considered a novelty item, and the exact history of the vitola is a little fuzzy, however, most companies that produce a culebra only let their most experienced torcedors roll them, and though they remain twisty after you separate them, if rolled correctly, the individual sticks smoke just as well as a normal cigar.

I have an issue of Cigar Press that showcases the theory and history, if I can get my scanner working correctly, I'll post the .jpg on here for everyone's viewing pleasure.

• T. GervaisT. Gervais Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 239
    bacon.jay:
    Heavy:

It's considered a novelty item, and the exact history of the vitola is a little fuzzy, however, most companies that produce a culebra only let their most experienced torcedors roll them, and though they remain twisty after you separate them, if rolled correctly, the individual sticks smoke just as well as a normal cigar.

I have an issue of Cigar Press that showcases the theory and history, if I can get my scanner working correctly, I'll post the .jpg on here for everyone's viewing pleasure.

I have heard they were originally made for the factory workers to smoke. That was their alloted cigars for one day and it prevented theft because you could tell if someone's smoking a culebra or not.
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    Very interesting, guys. I must admit that the first time a saw a picture of one I assumed you smoke them all together, although I couldn't really envision how that would work.
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    T. Gervais:
    bacon.jay:
    Heavy:

I have heard they were originally made for the factory workers to smoke. That was their alloted cigars for one day and it prevented theft because you could tell if someone's smoking a culebra or not.
    This is a bit closer to what I've read, versus what Jake said. I've read about culebras in a few different places, and so far the consensus seems to be that torcedors were allowed to smoke all they wanted while they worked, but could only take one cigar home... So what the torcedors came up with was the culebra, which they would then unravel once home and thus have 3 cigars instead of 1.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    Hays:
    T. Gervais:
    bacon.jay:
    Heavy:

This is a bit closer to what I've read, versus what Jake said. I've read about culebras in a few different places, and so far the consensus seems to be that torcedors were allowed to smoke all they wanted while they worked, but could only take one cigar home... So what the torcedors came up with was the culebra, which they would then unravel once home and thus have 3 cigars instead of 1.
    If this is the case not only do I wanna work in a cigar factory but I also wanna work at the Brewery. I would fig. out a way to twist 3 cases together!