Home General Discussion

The Aging Humidor

bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
I just bought another humidor, YEE-HAA!!! This is always an exciting moment and the mice that run the treadmill of my mind start whirring with images of what I'm going to fill it with. This burly maple 100 count is going to be a dedicated aging humidor for cigars that I really love or some that I just think might be good aging candidates.

So far the cigars I have in mind are:

5 Vegas 'A'
Padilla Miami
Padilla Habano
MOW Ruination
Forum Blend (sumatra and maduro)
DPG Blue
Camacho 1962
Gurkha Centurian
Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet

These are just the ones I have right now that I'm going to throw a few of into the ager. I'll be ordering others (now that I have excess capacity) with aging specifically in mind. What are some of your favorites that you are (or would like to be) aging?

Comments

• KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    I like aging RP Olde World Reserve maduros. Great cigars, and they just get better with age. I also know that alot of guys here talked about aging Opus Xs, but I haven't had one that was aged yet.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    Opus will be one that's mentioned, but I'll also recommend the Perdomo ESV 91 - I personally LOVE the Maestro Tubo - Cameroon Wrapper. Had one of those with about a year and a half on it and it was incredible.
  • nsezellnsezell Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 294
    The best "aged" cigars, not just rested, will be the very full body smokes, and very complex flavored smokes, because the process involves the blending of the tobacco flavors, and mellowing of harsh ones. I haven't put too much time on that many sticks and tried them yet, cause I'm a pack rat, but I have a few at a couple years now. A few that I've had after 6 months to a year that I've really liked are 5 vegas A, like you said, 5 vegas cask II is a good one too, RP edge maduro, and alec bradley MAXX. You may think about sticking an oliva cain maduro or a diesel in there too. Cain would probly be great in about a year, right outta the box it'll kick your ass to this side of next week...
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    Depends on how long you are talking, but a few months (3-6) does Nordings and RP Rosados a world of good, it is a very noticeable difference.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 583
    I'd say Cains and Diesels would be good aging candidates.
  • T. GervaisT. Gervais Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 239
    A. Fernandez signature robustos... mmmm.
  • smbrinksmbrink Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    I would think that the Oliva Serie V would be really great with a little age on it.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Harpoon, I can tell you right now that the DPG Blue is not one to be aged, they don't hold up to it well. There is a box of the toros at the B&M I go to from 2007, so I grabbed one and smoked it and it was bland and not complex...basically two years had washed the flavor out of it.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    smbrink:
    I would think that the Oliva Serie V would be really great with a little age on it.
    It is! Had one last summer with a year and a half. WOW. Man o' War after a year was ridiculous as well. Camacho Pre-Embargo after a year is still probably my favorite/most memorable cigar I've ever had. I think I have two left of those that now have about two years on them.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    This is good stuff! The Diesel, A. Fernandez Signature and Oliva V were some of the ones on my list that I want to purchase both for the ager and just to have on hand. A lot of other great suggestions too that I hadn't thought of but now I'm definitely interested in.

I'll take the DPG blue off the list and just keep those in the regular humi. I'm a little worried about the Cuban Cabinets washing out too but I have quite a few of these so unless someone warns against it I'm gonna throw a few in.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, keep 'em coming!
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    A lot of good suggestions. I have to add God of Fire specifically the Don Carlos blend. The first one I had was ok. Nothing to write home about but the second one with at least a year probably closer to a year and a half of age was one of the best cigars I have ever had.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Wheelie is spot on as usual! GOF's are really good and I have to add to your list, OPUS X some Oliva V maduros, Ashton VSG's, and some LFD double ligero chistles if you can find them.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    phobicsquirrel:
    Wheelie is spot on as usual! GOF's are really good and I have to add to your list, OPUS X some Oliva V maduros, Ashton VSG's, and some LFD double ligero chistles if you can find them.
    This sounds like my aging Humi... I am also aging some various Habanas, Camacho PE, Gurkha Titans, Beauties, Beasts, Centurians, Legends ( for some reason), Padron 1926, Padron 1964, and Aurora 1495/1994. But forget about finding that one... They are SOLD OUT. Everyone else is fair game for now.
  • jaytothenjaytothen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 55
    I'm not a fan of most Gurkha's, but if you buy a few Gold's, Sig 101 Maduro's, Beast, Titan's, or Triple Ligero's on deals and let them sit for a few years, they turn into a fantastic smoke for the money. Oliva 'V's are awesome to let sit, and something no one else has mentioned is Graycliff 1666. I hated this cigar when it first came out but after a few years it's really starting to develop. Also notice that I'm talking YEARS, not months. To me, aging takes more then a few months. Anything sitting less then 12 months isn't aged IMHO.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    jaytothen:
    Also notice that I'm talking YEARS, not months. To me, aging takes more then a few months. Anything sitting less then 12 months isn't aged IMHO.
    in general i agree. however a very mild cigar with a candela wrapper may lose a good portion of its flavor after a year in the humidor.

i also think not all age is good. some cigars dont seem to do well with time on them. Ive hear that illusiones dont do well with age. I wouldnt know because i have yet to try an aged one.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    kaspera79:
    phobicsquirrel:
    This sounds like my aging Humi... I am also aging some various Habanas, Camacho PE, Gurkha Titans, Beauties, Beasts, Centurians, Legends ( for some reason), Padron 1926, Padron 1964, and Aurora 1495/1994. But forget about finding that one... They are SOLD OUT. Everyone else is fair game for now.
    Yeah man, I got a few Opus X aging (got some of the 2004 Forbidden X) along with almost two boxes of the V maduro, a bunch of VSGs, Camacho PEs, Titans and Titan IIs, only 2 Beauties, some beasts, centurions, Warlords, Legends, Grand Age, Shaggy, La Aurora 1495/1994, ISOMS, tons of GoF, Partagas 150 (which is already aged like 14 years) and I still have 1 Don Carlos from October 2006. I have a lot more than that that is aged but those are the biggest ones. Oh, and I got some Don Carlos 30th Anniv that I got in 2007.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    I put in an order to get things going. In addition to the ones I already have, on the way I've got:

Oliva Serie V
    A. Fernandez Signature Series
    Diesel
    RP Olde World Reserve Maduro

I ordered others as well but these are the sticks which I'll put most of the ones I bought into the aging humidor. I think the OpusX is gonna have to wait a while, too expensive for me.

I really appreciate everyone's input. I'll be ordering more sticks for the aging humidor for sure so keep the suggestions coming!