Home General Discussion

Digital Hydrometer....

clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
Don't know if you guys knew or not, but Walmart has Digital Hydrometer/Thermometers now for really really cheap! Just picked up a couple tonight.

Comments

• MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 356
    Yeah, I've heard of those Walmart hygrometers. I should really pick 2 or 3 up one of these days.
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Hey Suspect... Are you referring to the white Springfield one for around $7?
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,487
    I've been using said hydro for 3 months since hays reccomended them a while back ....... last time in wally world they were on sale for 5.97 so i grabbed dos in anticipation of my coolidor
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,487
    i hate you hays ........ you cant let anyone beat you to the punch can you ?????? ........................ you're off my christmas and birthday card mailer ..........
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    Yeah, but the hygrometers I found at WalMart weren't adjustable. Ya can't calibrate 'em like you can with the ones from Heartfelt Industries. Granted, they're a little more money at Heartfelt but I figure my sticks are worth it.

Marty

• clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    Hays:
    Yeah. That's the one. Trying mine out now. My first digital hydrometer. How long does it usually take to accurately read the humidity????
    kingjk729:
    i hate you hays ........ you cant let anyone beat you to the punch can you ?????? ........................ you're off my christmas and birthday card mailer ..........
    LOL what did I do??? I just wanted to be sure there wasn't another one there that was better!

And about the Springfield one... I've had mine for months, and while it's not adjustable, as Marty said, I have never had need to adjust it. I know some guys have had issues with theirs, but I have salt-tested mine multiple times and it's always spot-on.
  • leonardleonard Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 359
    jlmarta:
    Yeah, but the hygrometers I found at WalMart weren't adjustable. Ya can't calibrate 'em like you can with the ones from Heartfelt Industries. Granted, they're a little more money at Heartfelt but I figure my sticks are worth it.

Marty

I have used the Springfield hydros for at least a year in my tubs and they are spot on.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Yeah after reading Hays posted something about that awhile ago I picked up a couple, and they're spot on. Heck i even set my analogs to those things and my sticks are smoking better than ever.
    clearlysuspect:
    Hays:
    Yeah. That's the one. Trying mine out now. My first digital hydrometer. How long does it usually take to accurately read the humidity????
    Well, I would salt-test yours, to be sure that you have one that is fully accurate. After that, leave it in the humi....it should give you a solid reading within 3 hours or so, but I would probably give it a full day in the humi to get a trustworthy accurate reading.
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    I salt tested mine twice and it is off by -10. Verified it by checking it against my other one. Works good though for the money.
    jsnake:
    I salt tested mine twice and it is off by -10. Verified it by checking it against my other one. Works good though for the money.
    And that's the crazy thing! Mine isn't off by a single digit, and yours is -10. That's why I recommended salt testing it....don't know whether you'll get a good one or bad one.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    Based on Hays recommendation a few months ago, I picked up two of them at my local W-marts. I salt tested them both and one was exact and the other was -1. They've been great so far and well worth the money.
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 718
    I also use the white springfield hygrometer from Wal-fart and it's only off by +2. Close enough for my needs.

I actually like it better than the Humicare because of the Max/Min feature. I've found it to be incredibly useful when tracking fluctuations in Rh.

• SmokeeeSmokeee Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 221
    Hays:
    I've had mine for months, and while it's not adjustable, as Marty said, I have never had need to adjust it. I know some guys have had issues with theirs, but I have salt-tested mine multiple times and it's always spot-on.
    Think one (if not the first) post I ever read here was by Hays on this subject!
    Saw him talk about it so much on other threads as well, that I actually thought he was a sales rep for them or something.
    So far, after being in the plastic bag with the salt test for about 13 hours, mine is reading 64%. Off by 11%. Debating if I should take it back and get another one and start over with the salt test or just live with the 11% differential.
  • Cooper33Cooper33 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 168
    Walmart is huge, what section are these in?
    Cooper33:
    Walmart is huge, what section are these in?
    I found mine over in the household/ hardware section. I don't know if your Walmart is set up the same way cause I've seen 3 different setups across the country, but I found mine over in the area where the bathroom hardware, paint, and household hardware like doorknobs and things like that are located. You'll probably have to search around that whole area but it's in there.
    clearlysuspect:
    So far, after being in the plastic bag with the salt test for about 13 hours, mine is reading 64%. Off by 11%. Debating if I should take it back and get another one and start over with the salt test or just live with the 11% differential.
    I thought about returning mine too since Hays said his was spot on but after checking it against my other one in two humidors I know how to properly read it and that works for me.

I found mine in the hardware section also. The are kind of large compared to others I have seen. Still working goo though.
    clearlysuspect:
    I thought about returning mine too since Hays said his was spot on but after checking it against my other one in two humidors I know how to properly read it and that works for me.

I found mine in the hardware section also. The are kind of large compared to others I have seen. Still working goo though.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    I bought two different models at Wal*Mart. The better one is silver and records a twenty four hour history of temp and humidity. Acu-Rite is the name brand. The Springfield is -3 on the humidity, still okay if you are aware of that "defect"... less than six bucks for Springfield, 7.50 for the Acu-Rite. Ask the sales person for the weather thermometers and Hygrometers and they will be there. Hardware Department.
    Well, I'm pretty happy. I was wondering if the humidity was correct in my humidor since I switch humidification devices back in mid October and my handy-dandy-new-digital-hydrometer has confirmed a steady 65% which is exactly what I was aiming for!!!
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    I bought two after hearing about them from Hays/everyone else. BOTH are off by -10. lol. what are the chances? I'll pick up a couple more before I give up on them.
    TatuajeVI:
    I bought two after hearing about them from Hays/everyone else. BOTH are off by -10. lol. what are the chances? I'll pick up a couple more before I give up on them.
    That's so weird. Mine eventually stabilized at -10% in the salt test. Guess that's why it's only $7. It works though.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    clearlysuspect:
    TatuajeVI:
    That's so weird. Mine eventually stabilized at -10% in the salt test. Guess that's why it's only $7. It works though.
    I bought one after Tat told me about it. I salt tested it and it was off by -10. In talking with Tat his were working, at that time, so I returned mine. Now the more expensive one that I'm using are +4 & +1. Guess I could have just stuck with the cheaper ones. lol
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 720
    Sandman1am:
    clearlysuspect:
    TatuajeVI:
    I bought one after Tat told me about it. I salt tested it and it was off by -10. In talking with Tat his were working, at that time, so I returned mine. Now the more expensive one that I'm using are +4 & +1. Guess I could have just stuck with the cheaper ones. lol
    ...I went out and bought 2 of these springfield hygros and one is +1 over with the temp reading being off by +2, the other one is -11 with the temp spot on... They were side by side with each other in the salt test too. I guess it's not uncommon for a couple of these to be that far off.