Home General Discussion

Cigar Vintages

KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
The very best cigar companies have massive inventories of tobaccos from many years. As weather and other factors change the crops from year to year, blends need to be constantly tweaked to maintain a consistency of taste. However, that being said, has anyone noticed a particular cigar that has tasted better from a certain year (but same brand)?

Comments

• clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    I am definately not yet cool enough to have info like that.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    clearlysuspect:
    I am definately not yet cool enough to have info like that.
    LoL, Well another thing I have noticed is that in different shapes but same brands of a certain cigar also taste different. For example, the RP Decade Torpedo tastes much better than say...a Decade Toro.
  • smbrinksmbrink Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    I know that the 5 Vegas Limitadas change a lot from year to year.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    One of my most recent discoveries, 5 Vegas 2009. I liked 2006, 2007 was okay, 2008 nope, 2009... Best of the ones I've had. I don't know if that counts but It is one I noticed. Also Rocky Patel 2009 Winter ( blue and silver band) was the best of all the seasonal blends I have tried, but that variation is intentional. Also, a box of Bauza I bought in 2006 had some of the best I ever smoked. In following years they were still very good, but different. I bought another this year and was not as impressed as in the several previous purchases. Maybe the aging is what was missing.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    smbrink:
    I know that the 5 Vegas Limitadas change a lot from year to year.
    Of course. It's a different filler blend and different wrapper each year.
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967

I have a few cigars, same brand, but purchased some time appart.....and yes, they are not really the same. Out of 35 or so sticks of the same brand, I can tell which 10 are from the older batch just from their look. The newer ones are a better cigar (consistent size and quality), but the older ones are getting better and better with time. Even the newer ones are at least 2 years old, and the others about 3 and a half years old.J

I would think that it comes down to the person who rolls the cigar, and the quality of the leaf from year to year. The taste is close, but just not quite the same.

I also find that the size of the cigar makes a big difference in taste, spice and smoke. Torpedos, perfectos and such are my favourite, with Toro a close second. I am also learning to enjoy the Robusto, but did not like that size when I first started smoking cigars. When it comes to El Ray Del Mundo, I much prefer the longsdale. I think that with time, we all learn new things about the cigars we enjoy, and how each size might give us something different.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    three years ago ('06 release) of Opus X was FANTASTIC. the year after ('07) was fairly good. the 08 was not up to bar as far as Opus goes. this year is another good year. buy them if you can and age them. I did. i still have one or two more im gunna buy.

the illusiones this year are MUCH better than last.

the Limitado IV from LFD is better than the III (IMHO) but the II is better than the IV (so i have heard)

i have yet to have the newest V maduro but i hear its not as good as last year.

the Camacho diploma was not as good two years ago but has picked back up in the last year or so.

of course all of this is pure opinion.
    camgfs:

I also find that the size of the cigar makes a big difference in taste, spice and smoke.

i agree with this 100%

but only sometimes
    HA!

there are some brands that tweak the blend a bit so they all taste the same no matter what size they are. even then i like how some smoke better than others. Im a slow smoker so i have started to like the smaller rings better because they will stay lit fro me. once you get above 50 they will burn themselves out and have other burn issues cos i smoke so slow.
    kuzi16:
    camgfs:

I also find that the size of the cigar makes a big difference in taste, spice and smoke.

i agree with this 100%

but only sometimes
    HA!

there are some brands that tweak the blend a bit so they all taste the same no matter what size they are. even then i like how some smoke better than others. Im a slow smoker so i have started to like the smaller rings better because they will stay lit fro me. once you get above 50 they will burn themselves out and have other burn issues cos i smoke so slow.
    I would also agree with this. For me, the Padilla Miami robusto taste alot better than the other sizes I have tried. So far I have had the Torpedo, Toro and Churchill.

So Kuzi...have you tried any various years of GoF?
    nope. i have actually never smoked a GoF. i have one in my humidor from 06 but thats about it. maybe some day ill buy more but for the price i have a hard time buying them. i can get 2-3 other very high end and amazing cigars for what i pay for one GoF.

... but if people feel like sending them to me....
    True, the cigars are very pricey, but just like an Opus, I still would like to try one.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    I have found a big difference in tastes among shapes with the same label/blend. Cigar making is still an art not a true science and that is what makes it so intriguing some time. The element of surprise tends to run both ways but the best makers are the most consistent also.
    fla-gypsy:
    I have found a big difference in tastes among shapes with the same label/blend. Cigar making is still an art not a true science and that is what makes it so intriguing some time. The element of surprise tends to run both ways but the best makers are the most consistent also.
    can i ruin the surprise a bit?

read my blending 101 thread found in my signature.