Home General Discussion

Cigars and mood.

RobRutkowskiRobRutkowski Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 67
Most of the time, when I smoke a cigar like an Alec Bradley or a Drew Estates I get a lift.  My mood improves and I'm happy for a couple of hours.  However, sometimes, just the opposite happens.  For example, the last time I smoked a Diesel Unholy Cocktail and a CAO Brazilia, I felt down afterwards.  Both of these cigars are full bodied.  Yet, I've smoked some full bodied Gurkhas and felt great.  What gives?  What's your experience with cigars and mood?

Comments

• LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    RobRutkowski:
    Most of the time, when I smoke a cigar like an Alec Bradley or a Drew Estates I get a lift.  My mood improves and I'm happy for a couple of hours.  However, sometimes, just the opposite happens.  For example, the last time I smoked a Diesel Unholy Cocktail and a CAO Brazilia, I felt down afterwards.  Both of these cigars are full bodied.  Yet, I've smoked some full bodied Gurkhas and felt great.  What gives?  What's your experience with cigars and mood?
    I'd say after a Drew Estate I'd be happy for I know that I have OTHER cigars in the Humi... so no biggie! (Although I do like their NATURAL stuff)

But I'd be sad after a Brazilia or Diesel for that means there's one less GOOD cigar in my humi.. :)
  • T. GervaisT. Gervais Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 239
    Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure whenever I really enjoy a smoke it puts me in a good mood, and whenever I have a bad experience with a cigar it puts me in a bad mood. I rarely enjoy a cigar that isn't pretty full bodied so that means full bodied sticks generally make me happy. Interesting topic, but I think it will be different for everyone.
  • bigbgballzbigbgballz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 283
    99% i smoke a cigar i get in a good mood, except if its a some nasty one or a fire craker. If thats the case i just go get another one that i know i will have a good experience. I do give a chance to some cigars as they develope in a good way as they heat up.
  • MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 356
    I never smoke when I'm in a bad mood or frustrated. I'm not able to concentrate on the smoke and I smoke too fast. Cigars don't elevate my mood much, but they do complete my day when I'm in a good mood.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    if i eat on an empty stomach itll bring me down. if i have to work very hard after i smoke itll put me down, otherwise its all good.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    Interesting topic...cigars usually help me to complete a day...a good finish A stik that I have a problem with..tight draw or bad taste does not put me in a bad mood only makes me think about my next one and I try to make it one i know I like.
  • Duder2Duder2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 926
    I am finishing my 4th Diesel right now and so far I am always happy and at peace after this delightful stick. Most of the time a good cigar will pick me up but I prefer to smoke when I'm already in a decent mood. Good topic...
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967

Interesting topic, for sure.

I've been in many different moods when smoking a cigar, but never thought that the cigar itself might change that mood. I always feel at peace while having a cigar...good or bad...Just the other day, I cut a cigar that fell appart on me. The wrapper unravelled, the cap fell off and I broke it up and tossed it without even lighting it. Didn't break it because my mood changed, just wanted to make sure no one ever tried to light a bad stick like that one.
    I lit the very next one of the same kind and it was a great smoke.
    I do know someone who's mood is affected by the cigar, but I thought that was just that person. I'm sorta glad to know it happens to others.

• cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    I'm currently only smoking 4-5 a day (less than I normally smoke), so noticing what mood one puts me in is kinda hard; but I'm usually in a good mood anyways and cigars just make it even better. Except a Sol Cubano Artisan, then I know I'll have to lick my dog's ass to get the taste outta my mouth...That'll ruin my mood...
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    ....Ummm, okay Cabbie. My dog licks his ass after eating my wifes meatloaf, I assume to get the taste out of his mouth too. That explains it.
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    cabinetmaker.... LMAO!
    Smoking a cigar always puts me in a good mood. Smoking a cigar helps me relax and takes my worries away. Sometimes I get to smoke with a friend or make new friends while smoking. I have never been cranky or upset after smoking. Very mellow and happy for me. I see how smoking a bad stick could ruin the moment but I would go with something else if it was an option.

I am begining to think cabinetmaker's dog might have a tasty ass for some reason. He has mentioned licking it more than once!
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    It always seems to relax or chill me out ...I cant ever remember being in a bad mood because of a cigar /// however I do believe at certain times it has increased my propensity(sp?) to be a smart-a_ss ...very interesting thoughts ...
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Yeah, even if I don't enjoy the cigar ( which is rare ) I find the experience relaxing and l will look forward to the next one for a better cigar. Like, smoke a Helix, and think, Next up Oliva V Maduro. Some other dud, Next up, Opus X. Just to let my tastebuds know I still love them.
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    I find that if I smoke, it relaxes me. Doesn't matter what time of day. Last night I smoked my first 5Vegas Miami by the fire outside and my wife even joined me for a little bit. After I came in, she remarked that I was really quiet and mellow and I realized how relaxing a cigar for me is. I always feel relaxed.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    I feel relaxed... I hate too much for too many hours of the day, not take a moment to chill and gain some perspective.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    Hey man stop hating so much...it is not worth it. They are gonna b what they are gonna b...don't let themn make you any less of a person by hating. Just b aware they are how they are...and they ain't gonna change. KEEP IT IN PERSPECTIVE
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    stephen_hannibal:
    I feel relaxed... I hate too much for too many hours of the day, not take a moment to chill and gain some perspective.
    Hannibal just remember "You can be as happy as you make your mind up to be." and no one can change that! Oh and I got that quote from a tortilla package! ROFLMAO
  • jeff_connorsjeff_connors Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 483
    Sandman1am:
    Hannibal just remember "You can be as happy as you make your mind up to be." and no one can change that! Oh and I got that quote from a tortilla package! ROFLMAO
    umm yeh
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Hawk55:
    KEEP IT IN PERSPECTIVE
    Now that's quotable right thar.

So many things used to get me fuming mad until I finally got it through my thick skull that the things that piss me off aren't going to change for my sake and I'm wasting my time and energy being mad at the world all the time. A little rage is healthy from time to time I suppose if it's for the right reason, but mostly now I just like to kick back and let all my troubles float away on a cloud of smoke....therapy my ass, just give me a good cigar, a good book and some quiet time.
    jeff_connors:

what the heck is this?
    It's shake!!!, sorry the post was suppose to point here HERE for some reason my ipod send you someplace strange...I was tring to poke at the sandman .....subtle like...didn't work out too well
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967

Snow storm yesterday. Dang snowblower swallowed a rock and broke. Took an hour to "MacGiver" it into working operation so I could finish.....then the plow went by right after I put the snowblower away! Took care of that snowbank (knee deep). Then I smoked a JR Ultimate Maduro........My mood wasn't that bad, but having a cigar certainly changed the mood of the day and helped end it on a positive note. Anything that can make me relax for that long has to be a good thing, right?

• nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 720
    jeff_connors:
    It's shake!!!, sorry the post was suppose to point here HERE for some reason my ipod send you someplace strange...I was tring to poke at the sandman .....subtle like...didn't work out too well

OH 4 Shizzle!! MASTA SHAKE and the ATHF!!

You want me to tie a monkey to my waste and run around, I'll do it... if the price is right.
    stephen_hannibal:
    I feel relaxed...

you feel very relaxed ...very very relaxed ...your floating on a cloud of cigar smoke ...floating higher ...no worries ...you are in a giving mood ...a generous mood ...Now Stephen you will take all your premium cigars and put them in a shipping box addressed to me ...you will have someone mail them from the post office ...you shouldn't be driving while hynotized hahaha ...
    I don't guess you count Phillie Blunts packed with " special tobacco " and quite mind altering do ya ... ???
  • bbc020bbc020 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,422
    gmill880:
    you shouldn't be driving while hynotized hahaha ...
    ha...as you hypnotize him
    gmill880:
    stephen_hannibal:
    I feel relaxed...

you feel very relaxed ...very very relaxed ...your floating on a cloud of cigar smoke ...floating higher ...no worries ...you are in a giving mood ...a generous mood ...Now Stephen you will take all your premium cigars and put them in a shipping box addressed to me ...you will have someone mail them from the post office ...you shouldn't be driving while hynotized hahaha ...

lol!!!!
  • bwcarter54bwcarter54 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 142

kaspera79:
    ....Ummm, okay Cabbie. My dog licks his ass after eating my wifes meatloaf, I assume to get the taste out of his mouth too. That explains it.

Man - now thats funny.

• Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    jeff_connors:
    Ummm ya I don't get it??? I even tried watching it twice. Was he speaking English?
    nightmaremike31:
    jeff_connors:

OH 4 Shizzle!! MASTA SHAKE and the ATHF!!

You want me to tie a monkey to my waste and run around, I'll do it... if the price is right.
    On of the funniest TV shows ever...hands down