Home Ratings & Reviews

Quality Differences from the sampler to box quantities...?

Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
Initially I always bought the samplers or singles to get a "taste" of a stik before trying to go for a box purchase. Maybe it's just certain times, but I would be interested to know whether any of you notice a differnce between cigars bought in samplers or as singles vs. when you make a box purchase of the same brand and size cigar?

Comments

• sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    Hmm...I haven't started purchasing boxes yet because I'm taking my time sampling everything I can. I may need to buy one now, all in the name of science and research, of course.
  • mustluvcigarsmustluvcigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 686
    Hawk55:
    Initially I always bought the samplers or singles to get a "taste" of a stik before trying to go for a box purchase. Maybe it's just certain times, but I would be interested to know whether any of you notice a differnce between cigars bought in samplers or as singles vs. when you make a box purchase of the same brand and size cigar?
    Yes, yes I do, quite often.. different wrappers, different bands, and sometimes different tobacco.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    mustluvcigars:
    Hawk55:
    Yes, yes I do, quite often.. different wrappers, different bands, and sometimes different tobacco.

Different tobacco ???
  • jeff_connorsjeff_connors Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 483
    I always thought cigar.com just popped open a box and diveded the box into samplers. Are you saying that cigar compaines roll special cigars just for samplers??
  • mustluvcigarsmustluvcigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 686
    gmill880:
    mustluvcigars:
    Hawk55:

Different tobacco ???
    there has been a few Id swear the blend had changed
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    HECK YEAH!!!! I've only got two boxes but they tasted way different than the singles of the same brand.
    Not bad just different.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    It would seem that in order to give a fair representation of a cigar, they would be be same. Color may vary with or without the box, sometimes within the same box. I believe samplers are put together by opening many boxes, or purchased as bundles before boxing to cut down on cost. But without the intent of making a "value".

I have smoked cigars that seem different the second time I smoke them as well, But still close in the flavor profile. Not like buying a Coke or a Big Mac where every one taste exactly the same every time for fifty years.
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 930
    I've never noticed much of a difference. If I had to venture to guess, I would say there would be a difference, due to packaging. The cigars shipped in a box might retain a little cedary nuance. Again, I've never noticed any real difference though.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    My boxes always seem to have a very different taste and aroma. Haven't had a real opportunity to remove several from the box and let them rest and say smoke one after about a week out of the box. another two to three weeks later. etc to see if that really makes a difference> For the sake of science I may attempt that.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    I've never really noticed...
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    phobicsquirrel:

Hey Pheebs , me and the wife watched "your people" working on and it appeared re-inforcing their nest in a tree in our back yard off the deck ...very very very energetic little fella's ... I wonder how cabinetmakers little guests are doin' ...you out there cabby ?
  • kaelariakaelaria Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 572
    I have never seen a change. I've had sampler made by the manufacturers, samplers made by the reseller and samplers made from singles. All have matched each other including boxes (I've only done about a dozen different types of boxes so far). I see more of a change in sticks that have aged, be it on the retailer's shelf, in the sampler box waiting to be sold, or in my house.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    gmill880:
    phobicsquirrel:

Hey Pheebs , me and the wife watched "your people" working on and it appeared re-inforcing their nest in a tree in our back yard off the deck ...very very very energetic little fella's ... I wonder how cabinetmakers little guests are doin' ...you out there cabby ?
    I turned them loose in mom's backyard. They are living free, frollicking around, and happy!