Home Ratings & Reviews

Merlion

CrouseferCrousefer Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 352
What do you guys think? Seen a few in my local B&M and keep glancing at them. The bands pretty but how's the smoke? Worth it straight out the door or best to let it sit for a good while? Thanks ahead of time guys.

Comments

• CrouseferCrousefer Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 352

Okay review time! I ended up giving in and picking one up! The Merlion from LA Sirena and is rolled in the La Aurora Factory. image
    So Stats time! Size: 5.5 x 54 Wrapper: Ecuadoran Corojo Binder: Brazilian Sumatra Filler: Brazilian Bahia, Dominican Republic Corojo & Criollo ’98, Nicaraguan Ligero Strength: Medium to full
    Initial look and tasting: this cigar has one of the prettiest bands I have ever seen. It is also in fact a double band that when split it has a smaller just as good looking band beneath. The cold draw was full of tasty chocolate notes and oak. The wrapper left a sweet grassy taste on my lips.
    1/3 the draw is a bit tight for my preference, but still manages to breath nicely. The smoke is creamy and smooth is oak and chocolate undertones with a healthy amount of peppercorn. I pick up a nice sweeter earthy taste that seems to get sweeter the closer I get to the 2/3. I also pick up some very slight nuances of leather. I must say I'm really enjoying the complexity this cigar is initially giving.
    2/3 by this point the pepper has kicked back a bit and the earthyness has started to take over and is starting to remind me of a freshly baked corn tortilla. A taste I absolutely love. The oak is still there along with a slight taste of citrus that seems to be getting stronger the longer this beauty burns.
    3/3 the final third finished off with returning hints of chocolate that were more subtle in the 2/3. The spice has once again has died off and the pepper is all bit gone. I no longer taste the citrus, but the earthy tones still have a sweeter almost floral taste. The cigar has also started to take on a more smokey feel.
    Over all I really enjoyed this stick and am constantly reminded of fresh hand made corn tortillas. The burn was even, never needed to be relit, and held a fairly good ash. Unfortantly it was a windy day outside so I don't have any pictures of the burn. I would have no problem smoking another one of these good looking babies and will problly pick up a few more to enjoy with some age. I hope you guys enjoyed this review and found it helpful.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    Cool band. Never heard of them, though. Sounds like a decent smoke.
  • avengethisavengethis Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,193
    Whats the price tag on them?
    They are about 9 to 10 stick msrp. The toro was 9.50 if I remember correctly and the robusto was 9.10. The torro Gordo was 10.
    I probly wouldn't pick em as every days, but if I saw a 5/10 go on sale or to have a few sitting in my cooler they aren't bad at all.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,182
    Nice review, Scott. Haven't seen these around here, but if I do I'll definitely pick one up. Sounds like a stick I would enjoy.