Home General Discussion

New to Cigar.com

beardedcanadianbeardedcanadian Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 86
Hey all, I am just posting a note to get your thoughts on some good sticks.

I am relatively new to cigars. I am originally from Canada and most of the cigars that I have are Cuban, (Cohiba, Hoya, Monte Cristo...etc), and I grew up smelling my old mans Century Sams and White Owls. I am trying to figure out what Non-Cuban sticks are a good value and flavor.

I currently have the following Non-Cuban and am wondering what else should go in my humidor.

5 Vegas Gold
Alec Bradley Tempus
5 Vegas Cask-Strength II Toro
Flor de Oliva Toro Sumatra
Gurkha Symphony Robusto

Thanks,
BC

Comments

• rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    Try any and everything. I found that Fuentes should always have a home in my humidor. Some Gurkhas are great some aren't but you will not know until you try them yourself. A good experiment for you might be getting some non cuban cigars that are the same name as the cubans you have and see how they differ and which ones you like better. As for value, 5 Vegas is a great value. The regular Fuente line too. La Herencia Cubana is supposed to be really good. I have only had one before and dom't remember. Sol Cubano is also a good value with different types of sticks. I however am not a fan of the Cuban Cabinet line. I find without 6 months or more age I just don't like them.
  • T. GervaisT. Gervais Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 239
    For value and flavor, I would go with Punch and Oliva. Punch's Gran Puro line extension is really good, and Oliva makes a lot of great cigars for good prices. Otherwise I would definently try Don Pepin Garcia, I haven't had anything of his I didn't really enjoy. Also AJ Fernandez has been coming out with some great stuff lately: Man O' War and Ruination, Diesel, and his signature line to name a few. When I first started getting into cigars I basically just did a lot of researching and read a lot of reviews and basically guessed what I would like, trying everything that looked/sounded good. There are so many cigars out there to choose from it's nearly impossible to smoke them all.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 583
    beardedcanadian:
    Hey all, I am just posting a note to get your thoughts on some good sticks. I am relatively new to cigars. I am originally from Canada and most of the cigars that I have are Cuban, (Cohiba, Hoya, Monte Cristo...etc), and I grew up smelling my old mans Century Sams and White Owls. I am trying to figure out what Non-Cuban sticks are a good value and flavor. I currently have the following Non-Cuban and am wondering what else should go in my humidor. 5 Vegas Gold Alec Bradley Tempus 5 Vegas Cask-Strength II Toro Flor de Oliva Toro Sumatra Gurkha Symphony Robusto Thanks, BC
    Welcome. You have some mild and some full sticks on that list. What sort of smoke do you prefer? I am fairly certain that any handrolled cigars of decent quality will be more enjoyable than your old man's White Owls and Century Sams ;-) My advice is figure out what sort of cigars you like and try a lot in that style to find your favorites. Of course a few outside that style never hurt and can definitely xpand your horizons.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
    I would reccomend getting an Oliva sampler from Ccom. Oliva is my favorite, and they make a decent variety of smokes.
  • MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 356
    I'd recommend buying the CCOM House Blend sampler. I enjoyed all of them so far (except the Cuban), but I have yet to try the Corojo.

ejenne87:
    I would reccomend getting an Oliva sampler from Ccom. Oliva is my favorite, and they make a decent variety of smokes.

Although I haven't had all the Olivas, I LOVE the Oliva Serie O and I like all the Nubs.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    Some will argue which order to try these in and which ones are better, but you should definitely try everything made by these brands:

5 Vegas
    AJ Fernandez (Including Diesel, Man O'War)
    Arturo Fuente
    Comacho
    CAO
    Carlos Torano
    Don Pepin Garcia
    Graycliff
    Gurkha
    Oliva
    Padilla
    Padron
    Perdomo
    Rocky Patel

I probably left some out but that's not important. Try all of these. Once you're done, try everything else!
  • beardedcanadianbeardedcanadian Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 86
    Wow. Thanks for the responses! I was sort of hoping to narrow down the list but it seems i will have to try everything.. ;) I plan on trying the Non-Cuban equivilant of my current cuban sticks and see how I like them.

As for a "type" that I like, I am not really sure. Hoya's Epicure are up their as a smooth stick but then I also like some that will scrap paint off walls... I guess it is just try everything and I will decide. :)

I think on my list next is Nub. I have heard great things about them...

And I just spent about 3 bones on sticks from Ccom so I am sure I will find something that I like there as well...just threw a bunch of samplers in the cart and prayed for the best (and by prayed I mean cracked my Crown Royal).

I did enjoy the 5 Vegas Gold and Cask Stregnth...didn't enjoy any Graycliff...

Thanks again for the input and if you have a "must Have" let me know...you know one that stands out against the rest.

BC.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    beardedcanadian:
    didn't enjoy any Graycliff...
    The man has good taste. :)

Have you ever tried anything from Tatuaje? If you like your cigars full of flavor this is an excellent brand to try. From the Cabaiguan for a medium body to the Tatuaje Miami for something a little stronger, there are several blends and all of them are pretty excellent.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    They're is lots of good recommendations here in this thread, so I will just pick 3 I think should have a home in your humi. Hopefully, when you try them, you will agree.

1. Rocky Patel Vintage 1990
    2. Rocky Patel Olde World Reserve (maduro or habano)
    3.Padron 1964
    I haven't tried anything from Tatuaje...but Cabaiguan is now on my list.
    Krieg:
    They're is lots of good recommendations here in this thread, so I will just pick 3 I think should have a home in your humi. Hopefully, when you try them, you will agree.

3.Padron 1964
    You guys/girls are costing me money...I have ordered twice in the past week. Now I have to order some Rocky Patel...oh well. :) Any suggestions on humidification? Right now I just have a bunch of 30 stick humidifiers and would like to get something larger....300 or larger. Any thoughts. Again thanks for letting me pick your brains. BC
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    i like many Rocky Patel / Indian Tabac cigars. Gurkha makes some wonderful cigars. The upper end Fuente stuff is pretty good. Try a La Gloria Cubana Serie R Maduro, it's awesome. My suggestion is go to the top of the screen to the tab labeled "sales" and click on that for clearance items. scroll through to the samplers and pick up a sampler or two. it's a good way to try many brands in many styles for not a lot of money
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    beardedcanadian:
    Krieg:

3.Padron 1964
    You guys/girls are costing me money...I have ordered twice in the past week. Now I have to order some Rocky Patel...oh well. :) Any suggestions on humidification? Right now I just have a bunch of 30 stick humidifiers and would like to get something larger....300 or larger. Any thoughts. Again thanks for letting me pick your brains. BC
    LOL, you won't be disappointed I'm sure. Those 3 are some great classy smokes. You might wanna check out www.heartfeltindustries.com for some beads. put in the dimensions of your humi and then order double what the calculator says you need.
    Thanks for the link and I ordered those sticks as well, I will post what I think of them after I have tried them.
  • betasynnbetasynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,249
    I think my favorite mild sticks thus far all come from Fonseca. The Fonseca Vintage, the Cubano, Rcoky Patel Royal Vintage, and the Casa Torano were all very nice mild cigars. On the stronger side, where all my favorites are, I'd have to say 5 Vegas Cask Strength II, Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic, Diesel, Rocky Patel Autumn '09, and the Tatuaje Frankenstein, if you can get them.
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    Krieg:

3.Padron 1964
    Hey Krieg, the first two you listed are a couple of my favs so far, but I have yet to try a Padron. I have had them on my list to try and will probably start out with a 1964. So my question for you is - which do you prefer, the maduro or habano? And just so you know, no matter what answer you give, I'm sure I'll try both ;-) That's the fun thing about being relativley new to this cigar thing - learning can be down right delicious!