Home General Discussion

question about herfador

p.aulmartinp.aulmartin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 17
Hi Guys:
I've seen several recommendations on this forum for a 'herfador' for travel.
I'm strictly a buy-1-and-smoke-it sorta guy, so no humidor at home or anything like that. However, I'm going on a trip soon & so am considering a herfador.
Question: is there a learning curve involved with this thing, or is it simply plug & play? Just curious if I'm going to need to memorize a manual or take a class in physics or anything?
:-)
Or is it just throw your cigars in & go?

Thanks!

P

Comments

• D FreshD Fresh Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 558
    p.aulmartin:
    Hi Guys: I've seen several recommendations on this forum for a 'herfador' for travel. I'm strictly a buy-1-and-smoke-it sorta guy, so no humidor at home or anything like that. However, I'm going on a trip soon & so am considering a herfador. Question: is there a learning curve involved with this thing, or is it simply plug & play? Just curious if I'm going to need to memorize a manual or take a class in physics or anything? :-) Or is it just throw your cigars in & go? Thanks! P
    I would throw a small boveda pack in with it. That's what I'm doing in a few weeks when I travel.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,603
    D Fresh:
    p.aulmartin:
    Hi Guys: I've seen several recommendations on this forum for a 'herfador' for travel. I'm strictly a buy-1-and-smoke-it sorta guy, so no humidor at home or anything like that. However, I'm going on a trip soon & so am considering a herfador. Question: is there a learning curve involved with this thing, or is it simply plug & play? Just curious if I'm going to need to memorize a manual or take a class in physics or anything? :-) Or is it just throw your cigars in & go? Thanks! P
    I would throw a small boveda pack in with it. That's what I'm doing in a few weeks when I travel.

What he said. lol toss in a good Boveda, load your sticks and travel away! Mine hasn't let me down yet. Pretty simple no brainer option for travel/
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,762
    p.aulmartin:
    It is just plug n play. How long are you going for? Are you purchasing the cigars at a B&M right before you leave? How many cigars are you planning on keeping in it?

If you are gone less than a month you probably won't need a Boveda pac. If you are buying from a B&M and dropping into the herf a dor, you won't need a Boveda pac. If you fill it up and only get in it to take a cigar out, you won't need a Boveda pac. In all the scenario's above a Boveda pac will more than likely keep you cigars over humidified. I store and rotate, meaning I'm opening and closing it quite a bit, my "herf" cigars in my herf a dor for months at a time and find no need for a Boveda pac as the humidity recovers very quickly and maintains very well.
  • p.aulmartinp.aulmartin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 17
    bandyt09:
    p.aulmartin:
    Hi Guys:
    I've seen several recommendations on this forum for a 'herfador' for travel.
    I'm strictly a buy-1-and-smoke-it sorta guy, so no humidor at home or anything like that. However, I'm going on a trip soon & so am considering a herfador.
    Question: is there a learning curve involved with this thing, or is it simply plug & play? Just curious if I'm going to need to memorize a manual or take a class in physics or anything?
    :-)
    Or is it just throw your cigars in & go?

Thanks!

P

It is just plug n play. How long are you going for? Are you purchasing the cigars at a B&M right before you leave? How many cigars are you planning on keeping in it?

If you are gone less than a month you probably won't need a Boveda pac. If you are buying from a B&M and dropping into the herf a dor, you won't need a Boveda pac. If you fill it up and only get in it to take a cigar out, you won't need a Boveda pac. In all the scenario's above a Boveda pac will more than likely keep you cigars over humidified. I store and rotate, meaning I'm opening and closing it quite a bit, my "herf" cigars in my herf a dor for months at a time and find no need for a Boveda pac as the humidity recovers very quickly and maintains very well.

Good questions.
    Only going to be gone about 10 days. Need to carry no more than 5 sticks. Will buy sticks from B&M, drop them right in. Will only open to take one out & then close right back up again. Don't want my sticks to end up over-humidified. From what you say, sounds like I may not need a Boveda pac (which I assume doesn't come with the Herfador?)

P
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    p.aulmartin:
    Good questions. Only going to be gone about 10 days. Need to carry no more than 5 sticks. Will buy sticks from B&M, drop them right in. Will only open to take one out & then close right back up again. Don't want my sticks to end up over-humidified. From what you say, sounds like I may not need a Boveda pac (which I assume doesn't come with the Herfador?) P
    Nope, doesn't typically come with the herfador (though most B&Ms will sell them or a variant) for a buck or two. For that kind of trip you should be good to go just plug and play, from the B&M to the herfador and out in ones to smoke.
  • p.aulmartinp.aulmartin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 17
    Another question about these...
    I've read in various places online that if you travel via airlines with these, you may not be able to get them open once you land.
    Is this really an issue??

P.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,762
    p.aulmartin:
    Another question about these... I've read in various places online that if you travel via airlines with these, you may not be able to get them open once you land. Is this really an issue?? P.
    They (5/10/15 count) may have this happen. However, they can be opened pretty easily if you are creative. I've used the pen in the hotel room to break the seal. Hope this helps.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    p.aulmartin:
    Another question about these... I've read in various places online that if you travel via airlines with these, you may not be able to get them open once you land. Is this really an issue?? P.
    Nah, it does seal because of different air pressure, but it's not that hard to open. Use a coin if it's really stuck.