Home General Discussion

Who likes Oliva....

jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
....I mean really really likes. Not just a passing fancy but smokes them as a preference above all others. And why.

Comments

• brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    jd50ae:
    ....I mean really really likes. Not just a passing fancy but smokes them as a preference above all others. And why.
    not sure if i am to that point but when offered a MB3 i will take that over most other cigars. Same with a V mel.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    You not like em? I haven't had many of the O and G's. But the Connie reserve is great and the original V's are really good. I just got down to my last few lanceros and got a box of petite coronas. The V maduros are really awesome, and they all improve with age a lot. Strong, but smooth. Great bourbon cigars.
    brianetz1:
    jd50ae:
    not sure if i am to that point but when offered a MB3 i will take that over most other cigars. Same with a V mel.
    MB3's are great! Especially when on sale
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    Gray4lines:
    You not like em? I haven't had many of the O and G's. But the Connie reserve is great and the original V's are really good. I just got down to my last few lanceros and got a box of petite coronas. The V maduros are really awesome, and they all improve with age a lot. Strong, but smooth. Great bourbon cigars.

Like you I have a couple I really like, just trying to get a feel for what people prefer in the Oliva line. The ones I don't like I really don't like. Just got a sampler of all (I think) they make and want to try an experiment around a consensus. I have too much time on my hands.
    Gotcha. I am not sure, but the O and G are a lower price. Not quite budget smoke, but lower-mid range. The G I had was a solid cameroon. The V is their more premium line and I believe the most popular. I haven't had any of the new Melanio or Saison.
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,497
    jd50ae:
    Gray4lines:

Like you I have a couple I really like, just trying to get a feel for what people prefer in the Oliva line. The ones I don't like I really don't like. Just got a sampler of all (I think) they make and want to try an experiment around a consensus. I have too much time on my hands.

Youngryan loves Oliva, you should definitely ask him.

• Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    jimmyv723:
    jd50ae:
    Gray4lines:

Youngryan loves Oliva, you should definitely ask him.

• onestrangeoneonestrangeone Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,423
    I'd have to say I am a fan, I have V's from 09 to current and always seem to have the G & O, MB3 and Melanio, the Cain and Cain F are good. The Saison was disappointing and once my Nub's are gone I won't go out of my way to get more but overall yeah good stuff!
  • matkn293matkn293 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,277
    I am a huge Melanio V ho. Will take that anytime. The V's are good as well but not as go to as the Melanio. The O&G are ok. I have only had 2 MB3's they were good but not shocking. I also like the reckoning as well and like it. Have yet to try the Connie.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    I mean ..... she aiiight
  • ejgormanejgorman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 891
    I will take the V Melanio over any other cigar I've tried. The O was the first cigar I really enjoyed. MB3 is a solid smoke as well. I've steered clear of the nubs just because I'm not a huge fan of the larger ring gauges. Because of the impression the Melanio and O made, I will try anything Oliva.
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 868
    I heard they're all dyed.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    I've had the O and the V, both tasty. Liked the O better, the V made me woozy I think.
  • MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    Ignore everyone else on this thread and listen to me. Oliva are great.

Every V will taste like it's supposed to. The No. 4's are a seriously intense short smoke.

The Melanio is the prettiest cigar on the market so it gives you pleasure in more ways than just flavor which is top notch.

The CT reserve is my go to with coffee. Not trying to buck the connie profile with peppery flavors to be different, just a creamy blend with lots of body and depth.

The O and the G are fine in their own right. When I have a really nasty cigar from someone else, I usually reach for an O because I'm not worried about it being bad or the bad cigar ruining something I haven't tried before. The O can stand up to the other guy's aftertaste but won't kill my budget. The G is a great affordable Cameroon.

MBIII is a great cigar for flavor, too. It's the only master blend I've tried so I won't comment on previous incarnations.

I haven't made my way into Cain or Nub. The Saison is their allowed strike. But my experience with Oliva is that they're consistent within a blend and vitola. Each blend is distinctly different but all are acceptable if not good or better (Saison aside, which was just 'meh'). Construction has never been an issue for me with Oliva. Burn is nearly always slow and steady.

Even though it's machine made, I'm curious to try the Viejo Mundo, too. It will probably wait until after trying some Cain or Nub blends, though.
  • blutattooblutattoo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,100
    Martel:
    Ignore everyone else on this thread and listen to me. Oliva are great.

Every V will taste like it's supposed to. The No. 4's are a seriously intense short smoke.

The Melanio is the prettiest cigar on the market so it gives you pleasure in more ways than just flavor which is top notch.

The CT reserve is my go to with coffee. Not trying to buck the connie profile with peppery flavors to be different, just a creamy blend with lots of body and depth.

The O and the G are fine in their own right. When I have a really nasty cigar from someone else, I usually reach for an O because I'm not worried about it being bad or the bad cigar ruining something I haven't tried before. The O can stand up to the other guy's aftertaste but won't kill my budget. The G is a great affordable Cameroon.

MBIII is a great cigar for flavor, too. It's the only master blend I've tried so I won't comment on previous incarnations.

I haven't made my way into Cain or Nub. The Saison is their allowed strike. But my experience with Oliva is that they're consistent within a blend and vitola. Each blend is distinctly different but all are acceptable if not good or better (Saison aside, which was just 'meh'). Construction has never been an issue for me with Oliva. Burn is nearly always slow and steady.

Even though it's machine made, I'm curious to try the Viejo Mundo, too. It will probably wait until after trying some Cain or Nub blends, though.
    Agree with most of this, although I've yet to try a Melanio I've always heard good things. I even like the Nubs. A bit one dimensional, but they have always been good and consistent. The #4's are crazy spicy and strong for such a small cigar and they make my favorite connie.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Martel:
    When I have a really nasty cigar from someone else, I usually reach for an O because I'm not worried about it being bad or the bad cigar ruining something I haven't tried before. The O can stand up to the other guy's aftertaste
    I need an interpreter. Um. Wait. Maybe,...... I think I get it now,......do you mean when you have "smoked" a really nasty cigar from someone else, you then smoke the O as a mouthwash? LOL
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    I haven't had any of the Melanios nor the Saisons yet, but I find myself enjoying most Oliva lines. I'm not fond of the O, but the G cameroon and maduro are very solid lines (I prefer the maduro though). The V is good rott, but amazing after a year or two in the humi.
  • avengethisavengethis Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,193
    Most everybody here has stated the same thing. For me I find the Oliva V or the Melanio one of the most consistent and best tasting cigars around. The O and G series are also good and again very consistent in flavor and construction. The saison is ok but nothing that blows you away. I have had the Cain F series Lancero's and the 2nd version of these as well and they are again a very good quality smoke. The Nub's are very consistent in flavor and construction as well however the only ones that I can enjoy regularly are the Nub Dub's and the Cameroons.
  • MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    Bob Luken:
    Martel:
    When I have a really nasty cigar from someone else, I usually reach for an O because I'm not worried about it being bad or the bad cigar ruining something I haven't tried before. The O can stand up to the other guy's aftertaste
    I need an interpreter. Um. Wait. Maybe,...... I think I get it now,......do you mean when you have "smoked" a really nasty cigar from someone else, you then smoke the O as a mouthwash? LOL
    Yes, basically. I'm always afraid that the nasty cigar that I put out after an inch will ruin whatever I smoke next, or if the burn is bad I just get ticked and nothing will make it okay. The O has always stood up for me in this situation. Sometimes it doesn't get rid of the taste or anything like that, but it's usually a worry-free smoke for burn and the flavors are strong enough that I can usually taste it through the worst aftertaste lingering in my mouth.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,711
    Good consistent smokes. If I want something where I don't have to worry about burn, draw, what I ate or drank I grab a V or a Padron thousand series. Never let you down