Home General Discussion

Cubans, what would you get?

Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
So, for those of you who know Cuban cigars, if you had the opportunity for a Cuban vacation, and planned to bring back the allotted $100 worth, what would you get?

Comments

• blutattooblutattoo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,100
    A lot to consider there, but I love the Ramon Allones Robusto and the Hoya de Monterrey Epicure #2. Both are less expensive than the bigger brands so you may get a little more for your money.
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Not the most applicable, since I can buy Cuban cigars next to my house. If I was going to Cuba, I´d probably just buy whatever caught my eye at the shops. Hard to pick specific sticks, as I particularly like treasure hunting in new B&Ms and can easily spend hours poring through their inventory. I´m a sucker for aged Trinidads - my favorite shop has a handful of Trinidad LE 2007s left, and I´m hoping they don´t disappear before I can bank em.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,711
    If I was in Cuba, I would probably buy some hand rolled bundles from the farms. If I had to choose a brand, probably Cohiba Siglo or Bolivar corona
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    Thanks for the input, guys. A friend from work tells me his parents are going, he's planning to give his Dad $100 for cigars and asked what I'd get. He smokes cigars, (friend) but smokes Swishers by the 5-pack. I've been trying to evangalize him, with small success, by giving him sticks like the GH Vintage (too strong), and the Perdomo Champagne, ("I haven't smoked it yet"). I'm hoping I'm not just casting pearls before swine, I take this recent Cuban interest as a good sign.
  • variant2variant2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 351
    Since he's a swisher fan, he can probably fill up an entire suitcase with Cuban peso cigars and be happy.
    variant2:
    Since he's a swisher fan, he can probably fill up an entire suitcase with Cuban peso cigars and be happy.
    Yes, but the idea here is to up his game.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,358
    Hays:
    Not the most applicable, since I can buy Cuban cigars next to my house. If I was going to Cuba, I´d probably just buy whatever caught my eye at the shops. Hard to pick specific sticks, as I particularly like treasure hunting in new B&Ms and can easily spend hours poring through their inventory. I´m a sucker for aged Trinidads - my favorite shop has a handful of Trinidad LE 2007s left, and I´m hoping they don´t disappear before I can bank em.
    Can't agree with you more Hays! Love those things!
  • variant2variant2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 351
    Amos Umwhat:
    variant2:
    That is upping his game.
  • mikeyycmikeyyc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5
    As an expat Canadian, I used to go about every other year. I'd jump on some more Cuabas given the opportunity. Divinos especially. Good things do really come in small packages.
    variant2:
    Amos Umwhat:
    variant2:
    That is upping his game.
    Granted. But, since he's planning to share one with me, it's not upping mine, so I think I'll encourage him to aim a little higher.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    For under $100, Montecristo edmundos. I don't think partagas lusitania's come in smaller boxes, but I'd love to grab some of those or Bolivar belicoso finos. Lots of cigars like the monte's come in cardboard packs of 3. No reason not to get a variety!
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    It really depends on what flavors you like.

For me, if I were looking for something that's mild-medium with lots of cream and a bit of wood, I'd go for the Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure 2.

If you're looking for cream, cocoa, wood, hay, musk, and very light pepper, go for the Partagas Serie D 4.

I also love the often overlooked Ramon Allones Specially Selected. Has a lot of wood, honey, pepper, and cinnamon. Almost reminded me of toasted graham crackers.

I'd also suggest the Cohiba Siglo line, but the price can be off-putting.
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,497
    The big question too is that if he is a Swisher guy does he actually have a Humidor for the Cigars when he does get them.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    variant2:
    Yeah. If he's only into machine made stuff, I'd suggest he look into Guantanamera or Quintero.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Go to hotel nacionel and get two bundles of custom rolls for $100cuc and call it a day... That will be better then anything you could buy regular. If not that, el Rey de mundo cuban regional release is about 65cuc and sells here for 260-280usd. He could probably bring back two small boxes as well, like partagas shorts.
    jimmyv723:
    The big question too is that if he is a Swisher guy does he actually have a Humidor for the Cigars when he does get them.
    He does. I asked him this when he approached me for advice, prepared to offer him one of my 20 counts. As for his Swisher fetish, everyone starts somewhere. I started with Swishers. Of course, I was 15, and it was 1971, but I moved up as time went on.

At any rate, my plan now is to make him a list, high-end and budget, so at least his Dad won't be unprepared. I also told him to stick to well known reputable shops, and avoid street vendors. We've all heard those stories from around the Caribbean.

Thanks for all the input, guys.