The Bourbon and Whiskey Thread

Comments

• 90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
    Ken Light:
    90+ Irishman:
    Gray4lines:
    Jetmech_63:
    I just cried a little
    It is a little sad... I guess it may be worth checking out some reviews on a rye before buying a bottle. Not to say the MGP is a bad product, but I guess it's nice to know what exactly you're getting.

Kenlight brought this up a while back too, but this is a good place to throw the info too.
    Thanks for doing that Gray! I will say I have the Widow Jane and killed my bottle of Angel's Envy about two months back and those are both MGP distillates but I really liked hem all the same. I do agree though that it makes me a bit iffy on others that I've seen and wanted to try but are on that list. Sad it's such a smoke and mirrors gambit with some of those labels.
    The widow jane you had isn't MGPI, I guess they market a rye (haven't seen it) but you had the bourbon I believe. A lot of places distill bourbon and bottle rye.
    Ah gotcha thanks for clarifying and yeah I have the bourbon which is outstanding.

Edit: Well that's too bad, but I stick to my guns that it's still a great product and I do enjoy it but that's definitely a let down to know that only the proofing uses that water :(
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    There's debate as to whether it really uses the water. Double :(. BUT, I did more research on Widow Jane today, and the results are very encouraging. I'm already planning a trip to Brooklyn for the spring to check out both them and King's County (they're 4 miles apart).

So the rye and the bourbon out there is sourced because they had to start somewhere and their idea for a bourbon was really high risk/high reward (read: highly expensive). So they found heirloom non-GMO strains of corn that they wanted to use in their bourbon mash. After many people telling them it was a bad idea and too expensive and won't make a difference they made it happen and are marketing a line of "heirloom" bourbons, three (I think 3, it looks like more will be available/are available in a tasting set) of which are available now. They don't come cheap (120-140 for 375 mL!! ack!!), but the tasting notes sound simply amazing. And I like their Kentucky bourbon; MGP or not, actually using the Widow Jane water source or not, misled by their rep or not, I like it. So now I really want to try this stuff.

Edit/add-on:
    You can check out the heirloom notes here
    And I could be wrong, but since they're calling these "single expression" I'd imagine their more long-term goal is to create interesting blends, which would be even more complex and very exciting.
    Thanks to Justin for sending these to me....

• amz1301amz1301 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,287
    Saw this at the store the other day. Anyone tried it? Bernheim Original Kentucky Straight Wheat Whiskey.

amz1301:
    Saw this at the store the other day. Anyone tried it? Bernheim Original Kentucky Straight Wheat Whiskey.

Looks like it's made by Heaven Hill (see above graphic for their hit list), lots of reviews HERE

From my go-to book right now (by King's County, mentioned above), "Bernheim is the only straight wheat whiskey on the market today, and makes an interesting contribution to any whiskey collection. It has a softer, familiar wheat flavor that doesn't need a lot of wood to get a nice balance. I once experimented making wheat whiskeys for about three months, trying to get something good, but I failed, so I hold it in esteem."

I had to look back to make sure this was what I remembered, but when I read this the first time through I thought this was definitely something worth trying, especially for the right price which looks reasonable at around 40 bucks.
  • amz1301amz1301 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,287
    Ken Light:
    amz1301:

Looks like it's made by Heaven Hill (see above graphic for their hit list), lots of reviews HERE

From my go-to book right now (by King's County, mentioned above), "Bernheim is the only straight wheat whiskey on the market today, and makes an interesting contribution to any whiskey collection. It has a softer, familiar wheat flavor that doesn't need a lot of wood to get a nice balance. I once experimented making wheat whiskeys for about three months, trying to get something good, but I failed, so I hold it in esteem."

I had to look back to make sure this was what I remembered, but when I read this the first time through I thought this was definitely something worth trying, especially for the right price which looks reasonable at around 40 bucks.
    OK Ken thanks. Looks like I may have to give it a try. Think it was only $30 around here.
    amz1301:
    Ken Light:
    amz1301:

OK Ken thanks. Looks like I may have to give it a try. Think it was only $30 around here.
    Even better! Let us know what you think, might have to go on the hunt.
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    Ken Light:
    amz1301:

Haha Ive read a ton of reviews of that site, good reference.
    From what I know bout that one, its a lighter whiskey, expect subtlety. Check this one out to if you haven't already, lists it on a body/flavor scale
    http://www.bernheimwheatwhiskey.com/#/welcome
    As others have mentioned I've heard its a very light whiskey and many bourbon drinkers don't like it because there's too little boldness and spice but should be very smooth and softer. Maybe kinda like a Davidoff cigar ;)
  • MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    So, Irish, on that "family trees" pic, why is there no line between Brown-Forman and Heaven Hill as corporate owners? Is there some relationship?

I'm not all that into all this stuff at the moment (cigars are one costly hobby too many), but I do know that my Elijah Craig 12 Small Batch tastes a lot like bananas.
    Martel:
    So, Irish, on that "family trees" pic, why is there no line between Brown-Forman and Heaven Hill as corporate owners? Is there some relationship?

I'm not all that into all this stuff at the moment (cigars are one costly hobby too many), but I do know that my Elijah Craig 12 Small Batch tastes a lot like bananas.
    It's not tree meant to follow corporate lineage, it's a tree meant to follow distillery lineage. One corporation can certainly own more than one distillery, but more than anything the point of the tree is to show common mash bills that lead to multiple bottlings.
    Ken Light:
    Martel:

It's not tree meant to follow corporate lineage, it's a tree meant to follow distillery lineage. One corporation can certainly own more than one distillery, but more than anything the point of the tree is to show common mash bills that lead to multiple bottlings.
    Ken is far more knowledgable than I am in this as I'm just starting out and learning. But what he said is how I understand it, shows the distillery and products that come from it.
    90+ Irishman:
    Ken Light:
    Martel:

Ken is far more knowledgable than I am in this as I'm just starting out and learning. But what he said is how I understand it, shows the distillery and products that come from it.
    Looking more closely, you'll notice there is no line between B-F and HH. That was probably intentional.
  • D FreshD Fresh Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 558
    Thanks for posting the pictures. Definitely interesting to see it laid out like that. Looking at it that way, it's very clear that I prefer stuff aged 10+ years as those are most of my purchases lol
    D Fresh:
    Thanks for posting the pictures. Definitely interesting to see it laid out like that. Looking at it that way, it's very clear that I prefer stuff aged 10+ years as those are most of my purchases lol
    No problem, Justin is the one who sent those to me so mad props to him on that. And I agree completely, right there with you on what I buy when I'm buying a nicer bottle anymore.
  • MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    Ken Light:
    90+ Irishman:
    Ken Light:
    Martel:

Looking more closely, you'll notice there is no line between B-F and HH. That was probably intentional.
    That was my question. I'm assuming there's some corporate connection, but it was unclear. I know that's not really the point of the diagram, but it is part of the information picture.
    Anyone ever try this one???? Seem interesting, came across one and it was the first Id seen of it. I will say the bottle is cool looking
    http://www.drinkhacker.com/2013/09/20/review-a-smith-bowman/
  • JHeweyJHewey Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,411
    This may be a long shot. Pa doesn't do private select barrels for four roses. But if anyone comes across these 3 recipes let me know.

OBSO OESO OESF
    The Kid:
    Anyone ever try this one???? Seem interesting, came across one and it was the first Id seen of it. I will say the bottle is cool looking
    Never tried but have been interested. But not easy to find for me..
    JHewey:
    The Kid:
    Never tried but have been interested. But not easy to find for me..
    Its on the local shelf for me fyi... can grab and ship to you again bro.
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,497
    What would you guys recommend for a relative noob as something that would be good for enjoying straight but also wouldn't be considered too good to mix with a Coke or something like that.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    jimmyv723:
    What would you guys recommend for a relative noob as something that would be good for enjoying straight but also wouldn't be considered too good to mix with a Coke or something like that.
    Makers Mark
    Jetmech_63:
    jimmyv723:
    Makers Mark
    X2. Though I never tried makers yet but hear good things.
    JHewey:
    This may be a long shot. Pa doesn't do private select barrels for four roses. But if anyone comes across these 3 recipes let me know.

OBSO OESO OESF
    pm sent,;o)
    jimmyv723:
    I think as Vinny and Justin said Makers Mark is a good and reasonable choice, I would also say W.L. Weller Private Reserve is another great choice on the cheaper end, and being a wheated bourbon it's a little lighter and softer, not so in your face boldness.
    Awesome, thanks a lot guys. Just recently finished the big bottle of Kraken Rum I got a while back and looking to try some different things. Appreciate the suggestions and will keep checking out this and the WDYGT thread to see what you guys are enjoying. It's like when I started into Cigars, so much stuff out there but been doing pretty well with Cigars so hoping this goes well too.
  • D FreshD Fresh Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 558
    The Kid:
    Lots of good stuff in there. Thanks for posting! That's why I am enjoying these drink threads. It's almost the challenge of finding what you like, then if you know it's sourced, finding what is very similar at a much better price.
    D Fresh:
    The Kid:
    Lots of good stuff in there. Thanks for posting! That's why I am enjoying these drink threads. It's almost the challenge of finding what you like, then if you know it's sourced, finding what is very similar at a much better price.
    Couldn't have said it better myself bro!
    Going to check out a place here in town tomorrow and see what they have and what it's all going for. Found a place online that has a great selection too but the Shipping gets you there. Been doing tons of research and watching reviews though and found some different ones that sound interesting. I have Makers Mark and the Weller on the list and also am interested in Russel's Reserve, Larceny, Buffalo Trace and their Eagle Rare, the Glenfiddich 15 and I know it's not Bourbon or Whiskey but want to try some Port too.