Home Non Cigar Related

Favorite Healthy(ish) Meals

RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
My wife and I are looking to eat a little better. Have done some simple stuff, like no soda and really limiting fast food, pizza etc. Tried cutting out bread due to carbs, but I'm a man...and men eat bread. Keeping in mind that really anything you eat can be viewed as bad, let's use some common sense here. What are some of your favorite healthy meals/snacks?I love love love tuna fish sandwiches, only downside is that they're not very filling. Also heart me some seafood, I could dang near eat it everyday but it's just too expensive.

Comments

• 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    Venison, Elk, Lasagna, Spaghetti, Beef or Venison stew and Salmon.
    Dunno how "healthy" they are, but I sure like them.
  • matkn293matkn293 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,277
    The biggest thing is not so much what you eat, it's how you eat. Make sure you are eating breakfast. Snack on an apple or other fruit mid morning. Decent lunch and dinner. Maybe even a snack in the afternoon. Biggest thing is portion control. Watch the little things that can add calories. Mayo, sour cream etc. stick with a whole grain bread and don't over do it with the bread. Use whole wheat pasta. Eat plenty of vegetables. Limit butter if they are cooked. One of my favorite meals is sautéed chicken in a little bit of olive oil or coconut oil. Mix that in with some brown rice and you have a decent meal at around 700 calories. Drink lots of water, stay away from sugar.
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Rain:
    I love love love tuna fish sandwiches, only downside is that they're not very filling.
    Eat more of it then. When I was bodybuilding I ate tuna sandwiches almost every day for lunch. I´d buy the big cans, the ones that are like more than 2x the size of the regular cans - maybe $2.50 or so. Mix with BBQ sauce as opposed to mayo for big calorie savings, and it makes two very hearty sandwiches with almost 60g of protein (depending on the brand) and around 500 calories. Big bottle of water with it, and you have a solid lunch!

Other than that, chicken is your friend. Another favorite meal of mine is teriyaki chicken bowls. Used to do HUGE batches of teriyaki chicken and store it, then toss it together with steamed veggies and rice for a very filling, balanced meal.

Omelettes are a favorite for breakfast - this is a big key for me, a strong breakfast makes me feel stronger during the day, both literally and figuratively (in terms of hunger). Depending on your dietary goals, find a balance of whole eggs and egg whites, and fill/top with your choice - I use sliced lunch turkey meat and fat free grated cheese for a filling. If you don't feel like cracking all the egg whites, you can usually find bottled egg whites in the grocery store, same thing just not as economical.

(Disclaimer: my whole family is in the fitness industry. My dad's company owns 13 gyms, one uncle owns a training center for Olympic triathletes, the other uncle, his son, and one of my brothers are qualified personal trainers...and my brother-in-law is an ultra distance runner.)
  • matkn293matkn293 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,277
    Oh and if you eat salad. Find a dressing that is low or no calorie. Little olive oil and vinegar is a staple for me. If you have to snack in the evening make sure it is protein
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    Know the importance of breakfast, just need to make it part of my routine. When I was down range I did protein shakes or an omelet like you were saying Hays. Might have to pick it back up, at least some fruit and a shake.Hays, was it you or someone else that did a weight loss competition a while back? Might need to do it again!
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Yep, couple years back; I won it, actually, though I'm not sure it was a fair competition lol. I'd support another competition - I think a lot of guys really got motivated from it - but I don't know that I could participate this time around.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    I eat a lot of eggs, they're a staple on low carb. My favorite and most often eaten breakfast is spinach, brocolli and a little chees in the nuke for a minute, topped with 2 eggs and one egg white done in a pan with non stick sprAy then hit t with either a little salsa or some hot sauce. Sometimes I add chicken(we eat a lot of chicken and normally have some around). This keep me full until about 1100 ish
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,711
    I usually make a fruit smoothie/shake for work day mornings. Some frozen fruit and some soy or coconut milk in the nutri bullet. You can add vegetables, peanut butter, anything else really. Portion out the night before and put in the fridge. Literally 5 seconds in the morning and you just grab the cup and out the door. Holds me over until 10-11.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,371
    I once ate a 59 oz Stouffers lasagna just to see if I could.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    CharlieHeis:
    asking the Mods to remove this post, as it clearly does not belong HERE. ;)
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    skip the meat one night/week for dinner and do roasted veggies for dinner & fruit for dessert.

roast root vegetables and squash --- do a combo of 3 or 4 for a variety of texture/flavor.
    (carrot, parsnip, sweet/red/baking potato, butternut/acorn squash, add some kale leaves too they will crisp up nice and give a little different flavor/texture)
    cube the veggies ... lay them out in a single layer on baking sheets ... spray with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper. roast @ 425 until tender (about a half hour depending on size of your cubes)
    if you decide you need something else with this meal serve them with a side of brown rice.
    for "dessert" cut up apples/peaches/etc. sprinkle with a little sugar and roast in a pan (either oven or stove top) until tender.
    CharlieHeis:
    You're up for troll of the week.
  • Andrew DzikoskiAndrew Dzikoski BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users, Trusted Users Posts: 338
    Chicken and pork are my favs. If you have a crock pot there is a ton of healthy stuff that's really easy. I can find a pork shoulder for $1.49/lb around here and I just do that with some Spanish style beans and its fantastic. There tons of chicken things to do like chicken with peppers and onions and some salsa or fajita sauce just avoid the rice or tortillas to cut carbs. If you do eat carb does some research on foods considered slow carbs they are harder to break down and don't cause as much of a spike in your blood sugar. The more process the sugar the quicker it breaks down and the bigger the spike it will cause. If you like cinnamon add it to what ever you can it as it can also help to cut your insulin response and help cholesterol levels. Lemon will do the same thing but make sure its fresh lemon not the fake juice. If you're trying to loose weight green tea is also great.
    kaspera79:
    CharlieHeis:
    asking the Mods to remove this post, as it clearly does not belong HERE. ;)
    How could I not troll this?
    Rain:
    CharlieHeis:
    You're up for troll of the week.
    TOW ftw
  • MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    jgibv:
    skip the meat one night/week for dinner and do roasted veggies for dinner & fruit for dessert.

roast root vegetables and squash --- do a combo of 3 or 4 for a variety of texture/flavor.
    (carrot, parsnip, sweet/red/baking potato, butternut/acorn squash, add some kale leaves too they will crisp up nice and give a little different flavor/texture)
    cube the veggies ... lay them out in a single layer on baking sheets ... spray with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper. roast @ 425 until tender (about a half hour depending on size of your cubes)
    if you decide you need something else with this meal serve them with a side of brown rice.
    for "dessert" cut up apples/peaches/etc. sprinkle with a little sugar and roast in a pan (either oven or stove top) until tender.

Don't forget beets. Roast those and they are great. Sweetness of the beet goes great with the tangy bite of a parsnip. And add some rosemary. Fresh is best but not necessary.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Martel:
    jgibv:

Don't forget beets. Roast those and they are great. Sweetness of the beet goes great with the tangy bite of a parsnip. And add some rosemary. Fresh is best but not necessary.
    ....BACON !!
  • First WarriorFirst Warrior Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 707
    Hard boiled eggs are a great evening snack. I stick with food that I have to cook. Start growing a garden next spring and learn to hunt so you can have real food.
    First Warrior:
    Hard boiled eggs are a great evening snack. I stick with food that I have to cook. Start growing a garden next spring and learn to hunt so you can have real food.
    I only for veins.
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,497
    I like to do rice and Lentil Soup. I do Brown Rice most of the time and since it's just me I'll get the small Boil in the Bag ones and instead of cooking the rice in water I'll do it in Chicken Broth. I just bring a can of the broth to a boil and cut the bag open and dump the rice in. By the time the broth is gone the rice is cooked and then I add the Lentil Soup. I add a little Parm and some hot sauce and it's good to go.

I also so the same thing and instead of adding Lentil Soup I'll add some shrimp or chicken and either mixed veggies or corn to it. Cooking the rice in the broth really helps to add some flavor without going overboard too. I definitely need to get back in gear myself though and lose some weight again. Had lost about 90 pounds a couple years ago but between being out of work and depression I put a lot back on.