Home Non Cigar Related

Craziest things you have eaten?

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    gmill880:
    ...I did eat bear which I thought was very good.

I've eaten bare. I've also eaten dressed. Bare's more fun.

Marty

• jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    First, things I've eaten (in no particular order):
    squid
    octopus
    conch (plus many other sea creatures like this whose names I don't know)
    manatee
    bear, deer, elk, moose
    cougar
    rattlesnake
    bison
    goat
    horse
    beaver (4 legged variety. I'll let you guess about the 2 legged variety)
    muskrat
    dove
    quail
    pheasant
    duck, goose (both wild & domestic)
    escargot (love these little creepie-crawlies)
    lobster
    crawdads
    snapping shrimp
    garlic ice cream
    woodchuck
    squirrel
    rabbit (wild & domestic)
    squab

Now for the TMI section where I'll tell you WAY more than you ever wanted to know:

Conch is like a large, ocean-going escargot. Usually served in conch chowder or conch fritters. The other unknown sea creatures were mostly eaten when we visited my cousins in Italy and went to Sardinia, a large island, where many, many unknown (to me) sea creatures (mostly in shells of one kind or another) are included in the daily fare.

Manatee is also called a sea-cow or dugong. When I lived in Florida a friend of mine once had an opportunity to kill a manatee calf. My friend was a 'Cracker' and proud of it, and sea-cow is a favorite on their list of things to eat. I got a piece of the tenderloin which was delicious. A lot like pork but a little drier and sweeter.

Cougar is just a mountain lion. Tough, gamey, stringy. All in all not one of my favorites. A friend of my dad's killed a big tom and gave us a himd quarter. Needless to say, we had to try it out.

We ate a lot of goat and horse during WWII when our meat-ration coupons ran out before the end of the month when we could get some more. I grew up in Detroit and there were butcher shops that specialized in goat, horse, and other things for just that reason.

Beaver, muskrat and woodchuck are all herbivores and are all good to eat.

Bear is an omnivore and a lot of how it tastes is dependent on what he's been eating and how the meat is cared for after the kill.

I tasted garlic ice cream in Gilroy, CA, home of the annual Garlic Festival. I love garlic but... 'Nuff said.

• Garen BGaren B Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 977
    Wow, kinda surprised no one has listed frog yet, but here's my list:

Elk
    Bison (everything from steaks to burgers to sausage)
    Antelope
    venision
    dunno why you guys listed it as weird but calamari
    frog
    shark tail

The frog actually wasn't bad, you just had to get over the fact that the it was a frog leg. Tasted fairly sweet and a bit like a buttery chicken.
  • jeff_connorsjeff_connors Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 483
    Coke zero and kraft dinner, common that shiza is messed up
  • plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 187
    Ive had cow tongue and thought it was very good. Snapping turtle is also very good if prepared correctly. Some people around where I live like nutria, Im not so sure about that one.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    P.s. What the HELL is Head Cheese??? GROSS
  • TheShaunTheShaun Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 425
    plaidbanana1:
    Ive had cow tongue and thought it was very good. Snapping turtle is also very good if prepared correctly. Some people around where I live like nutria, Im not so sure about that one.
    As a north of the border guy who travels to Louisiana more than any human being should, and having seen nutria out in the open, I can safely say that is one rat I never intend to try!!!!!!!
  • ThewelderThewelder Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 679
    I have had calamari (love the stuff if cooked correctly)
    Ostrich (thought it taste like shittie steak. Sorry I'm from Nebraska)
    I was a plumber (use your imagination, its already in your mouth)
    Bison
    Braunschweiger
    Cicket in a sucker
    And I think that is about it it, oh yeah Navy food
    Thewelder:
    I was a plumber (use your imagination, its already in your mouth)
    You eat pieces of Sh*t for breakfast???
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    This is not crazy but damn delicious. Striper Stew one of the guys at work makes after a succesful fishing trip ...he goes at least twice a week. Striper , Potato's, salt , pepper, tobasco sauce, half and half , and I think a couple of more ingredients. It disapears fast when he brings it to us. I said Striper not Stripper Lassy !!!
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    gmill880:
    This is not crazy but damn delicious. Striper Stew one of the guys at work makes after a succesful fishing trip ...he goes at least twice a week. Striper , Potato's, salt , pepper, tobasco sauce, half and half , and I think a couple of more ingredients. It disapears fast when he brings it to us. I said Striper not Stripper Lassy !!!
    HAHA I was thinking the same thing! I was about to say that I had that once when I DJ'd at a strip club... Take all their panties after the night and boil them down! hahaha
    Oh don't act like I don't know what Stripper stew is....

One part glitter
    One part Victoria Secret's "Rose Garden" lotion
    2 parts hand sanitizer
  • BStayerBStayer Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 318
    Lasabar:
    P.s. What the HELL is Head Cheese??? GROSS

Yummy! Nothing beats congealed meat!
  • JdoraisJdorais Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 653
    Garen B:
    Wow, kinda surprised no one has listed frog yet, but here's my list:

Elk
    Bison (everything from steaks to burgers to sausage)
    Antelope
    venision
    dunno why you guys listed it as weird but calamari
    frog
    shark tail

The frog actually wasn't bad, you just had to get over the fact that the it was a frog leg. Tasted fairly sweet and a bit like a buttery chicken.
    I just had my first taste of frogs legs while in NY. Delicious!
    Add that to :
    Gator
    Eel
    Pigeon
    Abalone
    Tongue
    Beef Cheeks
    Nettles
    Flowers

I could never eat a bug tho....
    I'm trying to remember what all i've eaten... Not much that is too out there.

Gator (FANTASTIC!!!)
    Wild Boar
    Elk (Mmmmm)
    Deer
    Bison
    Sand Hill Crane
    Cow tongue
    Frog legs
    Calamari
    Dove
    Eel

I think that about sums it up. Nothing too out there, but all damn good stuff if prepared properly.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    bison isnt that strange... you can get that at Ruby tuesday's
    Yea, there are several that aren't that strange on my list, but not your everyday foods. Got me craving some good exotic food now though! hahaha
  • angrymanangryman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 26
    Dog Squirrel Uni and due to a night of drinking in Thailand, Crickets Scorpions Baby frogs Pretty much if it can be cooked, I'll try it.
    angryman:
    Pretty much if it can be cooked, I'll try it.
    yes. im the same way. so is my wife.

im planning on trying Fugo (sp?)
    ...that deadly poison sushi made from puffer fish.

i have also had Uni... i just forgot about it. thats sea urchin roe...
    i love sushi and actually eat this often. it isnt that strange to me i guess.

• angrymanangryman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 26
    I just threw the Uni in there because it's hard to find... I however do not consider myself a fan of it. Thank god I had lots of hot sake to wash it down with. My ol' lady drove us home that night.
  • bbc020bbc020 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,422
    kuzi16:
    angryman:

wow...can you get Fugu in the states? I'd love to try it.

I've heard of farmers raising non poisonous fugu in Japan. To me, eating Fugu would be a thrill. Talk about putting your life in the hands of a chef!
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    Interesting thread...I have eaten --Frog legs --Rattlesnake --Osttrich --Goat (grown, prepared and actually eaten in Africa)
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    I have had cow tongue, actually good. Deer meat is amazing, tried it last year and loved it. It can be prepared so many ways. It has to be prepared right or it can turn you off quickly.
  • BlackguardBlackguard Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7
    I'm a little late to the conversation, but here goes. Excluding illegal meats, my most memorable meal was as the only white table at a Vietnamese/Chinese wedding - abalone, shark fin soup, goose webs (you spread the toes and eat the webbing. tastes like low tide), chicken feet and hasma. Now, the waiter had very limited English, and when I asked what hasma was, he said "it gives good complexion baby." I still don't know if he meant it will give the eater good complexion and enhanced fertility, a baby with good skin, or if he was doing an Austin Powers thing, "it'll give you good complexion, baby!" The hasma was served in a bowl and was a sweet, desert-like soup with little stringy noodles that had the consistency of jellyfish. It was OK. Found out after the wedding it's frog fallopian tubes.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
    I think it was some goat meat, and I think it still had some hair on it...

Last time I was in Afghanistan all we had to eat for weeks was MRE's. I don't really mind them, but they have no flavor and back you up pretty badly. So we had our interpreters head to the local market and pick us up some local cuisine. They came back with the normal naan (bread), rice, and lamb kabobs. But they also brought back some other kind of meat I had never seen before. Like I said, I think it was goat, and I am fairly certain it still had some hair on it, but I didn't care, I was SOO sick of eating MRE's that I just went for it. It didn't taste like anything special, just like some kind of strange Afghani farm animal.
    bbc020:
    kuzi16:
    angryman:

wow...can you get Fugu in the states? I'd love to try it.

I've heard of farmers raising non poisonous fugu in Japan. To me, eating Fugu would be a thrill. Talk about putting your life in the hands of a chef!
    i saw it on a menu somewhere... i just cant remember where.

next time i see it ill try it.
    You just not a real man until you stumble into a little dinner in Colorado drunk and yell at the waitress, "bring me some bull's nuts... and leave the hair on em!"
  • BStayerBStayer Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 318
    PuroFreak:
    You just not a real man until you stumble into a little dinner in Colorado drunk and yell at the waitress, "bring me some bull's nuts... and leave the hair on em!"

It's incredible how many people here in CO. really enjoy those 'mountain oysters'. Me? I'll pass. I've had enough liver, cow tongue, cow tail soup, pig brains, pig's feet, and other things to last me a lifetime.
  • nsezellnsezell Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 294
    gmill880:
    ...Also had a full blooded Cherokee indian guy I used to work with years ago...which was also very good and I would eat again.

.............that's what I read the fiirst time gmill...
  • MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 356
    Craziest thing I've ever eaten was cow.

Adventurous, I know.