Home General Discussion

Did anyone else notice

selapointeselapointe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2
Did any one else notice in the Cigar.com catalog for August, on page 20 the interview with Pete Johnson (of Tatuaje). He is holding a gas lighter in one hand and a lit cigar in the other. The gas lighter is a no no everyone knows that!!  Dont they?????? I am new to cigars about 2 years but I never.......

Comments

• jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    I will have to look I just got it today. I was too busy looking at the cigars though. This is the first one I have received and damn they do a fine job on this catalog. I like the interview and all the info in there. Well done Ccom!
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    Does he have it open? He may have the zippo insert to make it butane but still keep the badass *Clink* froma Zippo
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    Lasabar:
    Does he have it open? He may have the zippo insert to make it butane but still keep the badass *Clink* froma Zippo

Speaking of the zippo insert (ZPLUS) those are awsome and mine has lit everytime. That is until the wifey-poo washed it in my pants pocket Monday ! Would not lite Tuesday but seems to be drying out Ok and actually started working pretty much just fine today ...which makes me even a bigger fan of it .
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Dude it's not even a Zippo it looks like a BIC.... yeah I noticed but honestly I haven't really ever tasted the lighter fluid.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    I have a buddy that's been smoking cigars longer than I've been alive and he's used zippos to light plenty of them. Personally, I would not, but he says it's all about how you light it, not what you light it with.
    If it's a Bic then it's fine.... It's still Butane and that is an odor-less fuel... but the Zippo flame is odor-full and will taint the taste of the cigar...

Not to say it's HORRIBLE for if you like the taste of zippo fluid then it's okay, but it will add to the taste
  • jihiggsjihiggs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 468
    take the flame and brush a peice of metal with it, a zippo will leave black crud all over it, that stuff gets on the end of the cigar, a bic or any butane lighter will not.
  • ironhorseironhorse Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 469
    so wait.....a standard bic lighter is okay for a cigar? I never knew that. I always assumed it was oil fuel
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    I've lit hundreds of cigars with Bic lighters with no ill effects.
    ironhorse:
    so wait.....a standard bic lighter is okay for a cigar? I never knew that. I always assumed it was oil fuel
    The only difference between bics and torch lighters is the pressure at which the butane comes out of the lighter...

If you've ever seen a "Natural" lighter (non-torch) then you have seen the exact same fuel and flame that a bic has... It's still Butane but just flowing naturally from the lighter!
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    I had a friend look at me like I was nuts one time when I broke out my trusty Bic to light a cigar because I was out of butane. I tried and tried to tell him it is the same stuff, he just wouldn't listen. I also had a friend that used to always light with a Zippo because he enjoyed the flavor and smell... Not my cup of tea, but if it's what you like, then it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. This hobby is about your own personal enjoyment, not impressing others with the way you enjoy it.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    I personally used a large kitchen lighter when my flame thrower was out one day as I was smoking...it was too windy for matches....to my surprise the cigar that I was smoking didn't taste any different and was actually easier to light. I of course was by myself and wasn't trying to impress anyone either. BTW you can get 10 of these suckers for $18 on ebay or pretty dang cheap at local dollar store....just saying if you don't have anyone to impress save some coin for the stix!!!